Sign in to follow this  
ChristinaS1

Sydney weather

Just heard on the radio that Sydney is having its hottest day on record, at 47C. You have my sympathy.

Just wanted to let you know that here in New Brunswick we are having a cold weather alert and it is -22C, and with the wind chill it feels like -34C.

Keep cool everyone.

Cheers,

Christina.

That's a bit strange. Forecast for Sydney today is 33°C with a shower or two. unsure It got to around 42°C yesterday though.

Some of the inner suburbs such as Penrith are forecast to be in the 40's again today. I think Hairy lives around there somewhere. Enjoy the heat mate! Throw another shrimp on the driveway! tongue

I could only live in Canada for about half the year judging by those temperatures Christina! alien Stay warm!

Cheers,

Lusty.

It hit 47.3C out my way yesterday. Not sure what is worse, the heat or -22C.

I arrived home from holidays on Saturday to be welcomed with 45C heat. Luckily I had two full kegs ready and waiting for me wink

Hey Christina

Just a little geography lesson needed. Sydney is on the east coast, but where the 47 degrees happened was in Penrith, which is a western suburb. Typically, as you move west from the east coast, it gets a lot warmer, and in winter, a lot cooler but nothing like you blokes are suffering.

Where I live in Queensland, next state north, we are sub-tropical. So our capital, Brisbane, is normally around 32-40 in summer. And 40 is hotter than normally expected. But we stay at those temperatures for nearly 6 months of the year. Further south, in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania, you get hotter extremes but then you get cool changes more frequently.

I live about 300+ km north west of Brisbane, and I'm about 150 km west of the coast. So believe me, we get it hotter than Brisbane. The only thing that might cool us down a bit, is if we get our wet season (monsoon). Reasonable so far, but expecting a lot more. But a lot of that will come as afternoon storms, but then just as hot tomorrow.

The big advantage of living out here (on a farm) is that our nights are generally cooler than Brisbane. Brisbane nights will normally sit at 20+ for 3 -4 months, and it is very humid. at least our night temperatures normally drop below 20 and often into the mid teens. Still humid, but a little better. We often joke, that by the end of summer, we have all gone mouldy.

Australia is quite a different place. We go from the tropics to temperate. Then when you get into our outback, you can have 30-40 degree days, and freezing nights. But that is typical of desert or semi-arid country. Then the west coast, well it's different again. Beautiful place, can get very hot and at times very wet, especially up north in the tropics. Western Australia, comprises about a third of the whole country.

So a very diverse country Christina.

Cheers

Bill

G'day Christina,

On the complete other side of the country. I have lived and worked in the North West area of Western Australia for the last 12 years. I now Fly In fly Out to work on a 8 days on 6 days off roster which is great for me and my family.

I now live in the south western corner of the state.

I work in a massive shed without air conditioning and 47 is not strange. Thats the norm. For 5 Months a year its mid to low 40's consistently and cools down to a nice 30 over night.

However, I would take that heat for 12 months a year over minus 22 any day of the week.

Stay warm and safe over there Christina.

Cheers,

Kirk

-22° C sounds good to me Christina! I love the winters here in Canberra, although the coldest night I can remember here is -9° C.

Lusty, despite what you say about my sunroom never getting above 20° C, things can get hot here in Canberra ... my car thermometer was showing me 43° C yesterday.

Well I live pretty much on the coast and the $1.20 digital thermometer was reading 45.8C in the shade on Sunday. My son put it out in the sun for a little while and it went up to nearly 50C. I'm sure it would have gone past 50 if he'd stood out there a little longer.

This morning I went to let the chickens out and thought it was a bit chilly. Looked at the thermometer and it was 25.8C. It was up to 38.5C when I looked later.

Looks like we're going to get a great thunderstorm tonight. Loads of lightening about.

It apparently got up to around 43C or something at the SCG yesterday, in the sun out in the middle it would have been around 50 or more. Glad I wasn't one of the English players baking in the field for 4 hours or whatever it was until Smith declared lol