Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It sounds too high still, I don't know the ingredients of the recipe though. What is it made with? And what yeast?

Ingredients

• 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale
  • 1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract – Robust
  • 1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract – Smooth
  • 1 x 100g Crystal Malt Grains
  • 1 x 100g Chocolate Malt Grains
  • 1 x 11.5g Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
  • 1 x 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops

Hi John304.

I agree with Kelsey that 1.020 is still too high to be bottling this brew. Suggested FG for the Venom Robust Porter is approx. 1.010 - 1.014. So based on that you're still at least 6 points short of being in a position to safely bottle.

Without knowing exactly how low the temperature dropped to & for how long, I can only suggest this has caused the stall & caused the yeast to drop & go dormant. Raising the temperature is one part of helping the ferment to restart. The other common thing done is to re-rouse the yeast. To do this, open the lid of your fermenter & with a sanitised large brewing spoon gently "scoop stir" the yeast/trub back into suspension (approx. 10 seconds worth) & avoid splashing, then refit the lid & maintain a temperature of 20°C or above.

After another day or two begin checking your SG again.

Hopefully this helps finish off your ferment.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.

As per the other thread I have just done my first AG brews on the Robbo V3.

Recipes were:

El Dorado IPA 

Brewed Saturday May 12 2018

4.5kg Pale malt
1.6kg Munich malt
15g El Dorado 60 boil
35g Cascade10min
30g El Dorado 10min
22.5g Mosaic 10min
30g El Dorado 0min
Will dry hop 75g El Dorado

OG supposed to be 1.061 at 76% efficiency, but was 1.054 
Around 62% efficiency!!
29 litre boil and 22.5 litres in fermenter 
Estimated ABV 5.8%

Next one was :

Hobgoblin Strong Bitter

6kg Maris Otter pale malt
0.36kg Crystal malt
0.1kg Choc malt
15g Fuggles 60min
15g EK Goldings 60min
60g Fuggles 15min
15g Cascade 25 min

OG supposed  to be 1.067 at 76% efficiency but was 1.056 giving me 62% efficiency!!
IBUs 29.4
22.5 litres in fermenter
Estimated ABV 6%

Looking forward to the next brew day and how I can improve them.
The OG samples were tasting really good.
Cant wait to get home in a couple of weeks and keg these 2!
Happy days

James

Good on ya James! Satisfying isn't it? At least your efficiency is consistent. Mine is all over the place!

I just dumped the Fire in the Sky Red Ale wort into my FV and pitched the London ESB starter into it.

35 IBU

32 EBC

21 Litres

I have got high hopes for this one, should be a nice beer once its done

Cheers!

4 hours ago, James Lao said:

As per the other thread I have just done my first AG brews on the Robbo V3.

Recipes were:

El Dorado IPA 

4.5kg Pale malt
1.6kg Munich malt
15g El Dorado 60 boil
35g Cascade10min
30g El Dorado 10min
22.5g Mosaic 10min
30g El Dorado 0min
Will dry hop 75g El Dorado

OG supposed to be 1.061 at 76% efficiency, but was 1.054 
Around 62% efficiency!!
29 litre boil and 22.5 litres in fermenter 
Estimated ABV 5.8%

Next one was :

Hobgoblin Strong Bitter

6kg Maris Otter pale malt
0.36kg Crystal malt
0.1kg Choc malt
15g Fuggles 60min
15g EK Goldings 60min
60g Fuggles 15min
15g Cascade 25 min

OG supposed  to be 1.067 at 76% efficiency but was 1.056 giving me 62% efficiency!!
IBUs 29.4
22.5 litres in fermenter
Estimated ABV 6%

Looking forward to the next brew day and how I can improve them.
The OG samples were tasting really good.
Cant wait to get home in a couple of weeks and keg these 2!
Happy days

James

El Dorado and Mosaic go very well together. 

Nice one.

Well my Doppelbock has been fermenting steadily at 12C since Tuesday night, so curious about the progress I took a gravity sample. It's down to 1.020 from 1.080 which is what I was going for. The krausen is dropping now so I wouldn't think it will go much lower at all. The gravity sample tasted so good! I'll give it another couple of weeks to drop clear and condition a bit before bottling.

The krausen dropped a couple of days ago on my second runnings Amber lager. That's down to 1.012 from 1.050 and tasting very nice. I'm torn between dry hopping with some more Nelson Sauvin to boost the hop presence (which means a trip to the LHBS to grab a hop bag since my hop tube won't fit through the mouth of the jerry can) vs just leaving the hops at a more subtle level with only the flameout addition for flavour and aroma.

At this stage I do still I think I'm going to give it a 4 - 5g/l dry hop, but see how lazy I am about riding up to the LHBS at lunch time. And it is actually tasting really nice as it is. But... More hops! 

Either way, I will bottle this one up in a week or so.

Cheers, 

John

Just checked on my German lager after 5 days in the fermenter and it's sitting at about 1.0315 down from 1.050 OG. It took a little over a day to show visible signs of fermentation, so it appears to be dropping at about 5 points per day. I'll give it until tomorrow and then raise the controller up to 18C and let the brew naturally rise inside the fridge. I'll leave the hydrometer in the sample on the keg fridge to get a rough idea of the FG too.

Cheers

Kelsey

Put my latest two hoppy pales in today

Riwaka/Mosaic and the Idaho/Taiheke 

As these are cube hopped I couldn’t help but notice the hop oil slick on top of my Wort as I transferred from cube to fermenter. I’ve never noticed an oil before on any of my beers.

check it out.

captain

C5C5FD3B-72D6-4E63-96C2-10225CCDB2D5.jpeg

60B741DD-6AAB-4791-AF65-B6F1669F1CE3.jpeg

Thanks Rowbrew, appreciate the positive comments. Straight back at ya.

That photo was taken before the splashing. I only noticed it because something fell off the bench and I went to pick it up. Come back to the fermenter and hey presto.

Hop oil

So the lager yeast Coopers put in their Ale / lager blend is a beast. My Doppelbock has hit a FG of 1.014 (down from 1.080). So it will be around 9.2% abv once bottle conditioned. Tastes super rich and malty. I'll give it another week to clear up and then bottle. Maybe I won't use half litre bottles for this batch... Better get to work emptying some smaller ones.

The second runnings beer got a 3g/l Nelson Sauvin dry hop and will be bottled on Monday.

Cheers, 

John

I checked first FG of my modified Irish Stout today after 5 days, 1.015. The taste is better than I expected already. Nice smell, pretty good bitter/sweet balance, not too sweet at this time. Very exited about my first Stout. I will leave it at 20c and hope the FG gets down to expected 1.012

Irish Stout 1.7kg.

Liquid Dark Malt Extract 1.5kg

ChocMalt 200g (30m@70c)

Brown Sugar 200g

40g Columbus Hop (15m80c tea)

Nottingham+Kit yeast

OG:1.050   IBU34/EBC151

Should I let this sit in the fermenter at 20c for around the 10 days to 2 weeks and do a 1 week cold crash to 1c?  I don’t want to rush it prior to bottling to ensure I get the best maturation?

Cheers,

On 5/22/2018 at 12:03 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just checked on my German lager after 5 days in the fermenter and it's sitting at about 1.0315 down from 1.050 OG. It took a little over a day to show visible signs of fermentation, so it appears to be dropping at about 5 points per day. I'll give it until tomorrow and then raise the controller up to 18C and let the brew naturally rise inside the fridge. I'll leave the hydrometer in the sample on the keg fridge to get a rough idea of the FG too.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Kelsey,

Just wondering how long your Lager will normally take to get up to 18C 

I'm brewing out in a fridge in the shed and my temp gets up to about 15 after about 3 days and holds there. I used a lamp with an incandescent bulb hooked up to the temp controller on my last brew to get it up to 18C 

Heat belt or mat is on the shopping list!! 

But yeah was just wondering how long you allow your brews to take to get up to that 18C  D rest temp. Before say adding a heat source?

Anyway, thanks heaps mate for all your advice and suggestions.

Cheers, Lee

Hi Lee, 

I use no heating ordinarily. Being in Brisbane it's largely unnecessary. This brew probably took a little over a day to rise the 8 degrees from 10 to 18. Because I start it during fermentation, the heat produced by the fermentation assists. 

In the depths of "winter" here I sometimes use an Erlenmeyer flask to provide heat by boiling water in it and sticking it in the fridge. Even at that time of year it'll get up to about 16 on its own, but I'll use the flask method to get it to 18 if I feel like it. 16 does the job as well though. 

Cheers

Kelsey

Just put on a APA, my previous session ale I'm not happy about ?, but have this one set with Super Alpha, Summer and Galaxy hops

1.7kg of CBW Pilsen & Golden Light
250g Carapils malt
100g Caramel Munich (60L)
500g LDM
14g Super Alpha @ 60 min
10g Summer @ 10 min
10g Galaxy @ 10 min

60 Minute Boil

Safeale US-05

Dry Hop after 5 days:

20g Galaxy
35g Summer

Kind of stuffed up, I clumped the yeast on a dry pitch so I'm hoping this is ok, never brewed with US-05, really I should of took the time to do a starter.

Current have this sitting in my Conical Fermenter under Pressure outside *short on space*, there is a 20psi PRV instead of a Airlock, its also in its own thermal jacket which is sealed, love Oxebar Fermentasaurus ;D

Took an SG reading from my German lager on Sunday and it was sitting at 1.012, I'll take another today which should be the same meaning I can drop it down for a cold crash on Thursday as planned, or maybe even tomorrow. I'm not gonna give it the full two weeks; planning to keg this next Sunday so I can get the next batch going so it'll get about a week and a half. It'll have about 3-4 more weeks to condition in the keg anyway so it should be pretty tasty once I start drinking it.

Cheers

Kelsey

I have seven 19 litre kegs and one 10 litre keg. One of the 19L kegs is permanently assigned to soda water that we use with cordials. The other six are for beer and I put two at a time into the fridge; when one runs out I start on the other one. Unfortunately there's never a stockpile because I drink them faster than I can brew them ?

The 10L keg is used for batch surplus. With ales I usually brew 25 litre batches, so the surplus 5 litres or so goes into the 10L keg. I usually blend two batches together to get 9-10L of beer, and that keg normally goes on tap when one of the 19L ones runs out. Saves bottling it and I get a bit of a different beer out of two existing ones. 

With lagers I've been doing 21L batches for 19L kegs only, but when I get my bottle capper fixed I'll brew 25s and bottle the surplus. Might help with not having to buy cartons as much.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived