Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

Took a hydro sample of Gails Pale Ale and its sitting at 1.014. Im hoping it drops a little more for a final gravity of 1.012. This beer tastes awesome. No dry hop, but getting quite a nice aroma from the cube hops. Should turn out alright i reckon

Cheers!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
G'day all' date='

Have in my Oxebar Fermentasaurus Capital Pils - minus the 86 kit yeast, muscle memory accidentally discarded it, pitched on 17/03/2018 @ 1075, not sure its a bad thing, fermentation is just coming out primary into cleanup, Dry hopping tomorrow a day earlier then I expected, it has been hot in WA this week so I've been convection cooling with ice in the bottom of the Fermenter with the insulation jacket using the pressure kit, so its been between 16~19 degrees with the fermenter outside temps being between 22~24 degrees.

So dry hop tommorow then again on monday...

Dry hopping Saturday, been clearing trub out last day or two, but carbing up nicely with the pressure kit @ 18 degrees.

Hi guys.

A little earlier today I added the 80gms of dry hops to my little short boil FWH brew. SG has stabilized @ 1.012 & I am satisfied the brew has finished fermenting.

The brew smells quite fruity & more importantly, floral. What that tells me is the FWH addition of Ahtanum has survived the boil well as it is the only overly floral hop in the mix. OK Centennial has some floral aspects to it as well so some argument could be made that it is impacting here as well.

Also as importantly, after tasting the hydro sample, the bitterness level appears very good too. happy

Once I have it chilled, carbed, & in the glass I'll know whether it has hit the desired marks. With any luck I'll likely have it on the pour sometime over the Easter weekend.

At this stage, certainly very promising. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

I checked the SG on my German lager yesterday, which was also sitting at 1.012. It appears all but finished and probably did finish 2-3 days ago, so I'll check it again tomorrow and if it's the same then I'll drop it down for a cold crash until next weekend. The sample tasted good too, reminiscent of some of the German lagers I've had at the Bavarian Bier Cafe, which is excellent as that's roughly what I was aiming for. Looking forward to trying a few glasses once it's been lagered for a few weeks (combo of in the FV and in the keg).

Cheers

Kelsey

Lager was at 1.012 again today so is now on its way down to 0 degrees, along with some old home brew bottles and some beers I bought in case the keg on tap runs dry. Will chuck in some isinglass tomorrow and Polyclar Sunday then keg the following weekend, when this and the keg of pale ale will go into the kegerator to be carbonated. I'll just do the set to serving pressure and forget method for this lager since I'm giving it more lagering time before drinking anyway.

Cheers

Kelsey

My stepping to the A.M brew is coming along. I raised the temp yesterday, when it was about 75% done. I don't know if I will dry hop this batch, the aromas are awesome, we will see, if I do it will be tomorrow. The samples taste good, nice bitterness but we will see once it is done. Right now I am worried I added too much bitterness! This was inspired by Lusty's FWH thread and Ben 10's previously used schedule of 20 min steep at flameout additions and then additions after that for 20 min steep, I did 15min though, because of some evidence 10min gets best results so I hedged my bets with a 15min. I did not do a FWH.

Looking forward to this one, I never used Mosaic before, I usually do 1 hop cervezas to learn about the hops but I think azacca will go well with mosaic and I hope to be able to pick out the mosaic as I am familiar with azacca.

Cheers,

Norris

Gails Pale Ale has been at 1.012 for 2 days now, so the Father in law and I bottled it up last night. We got a total of 46 stubbies from a 17 litre batch. I really can't wait to taste this one, it smelt so good

Put down a super quick kit beer yesterday.

1 Coopers English Bitter kit

500g LDM

Kit yeast

15 litres

OG 1.047

IBU 52 approx (after fermentation)

I made this beer to be a blender for my English Mild Ale i made about 6 weeks ago. Its been about 4 weeks in the bottle and im not very happy with it. Its not bitter, thin bodied and under carbed. Not very enjoyable at all, so hopefully this cheap kit beer will be its saviour.

Cheers!

I brewed a Grainfather kit ‘The Kraken’ Black IPA. I brewed it before work which was a mistake. I hit gravity numbers but was short of wort going into the fermenter. Only 19L went in instead of 23L.

Oh well, I will still have beer as an end result.

Youngie

Pitched my Northern English Brown/Dark ale earlier on, after kegging the German lager a couple of days ago. Ended up with 25.5L this time, and the brew is currently on its way down to 18C (19.8C at the moment). I'll raise it up to 21 in 3 or 4 days. This is the first time I've brewed something like this for a few years after the last attempt turned out shit; the wort smelt quite nice while pouring into the FV, so I'm looking forward to tasting the FG samples in a week or so to see how it will probably turn out once kegged and carbonated.

This one won't be used as part of a blended keg because the pale ale batch that will follow it isn't big enough to bother, however the surplus will still end up in the mini keg so it isn't wasted.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just put down a bastardized partial mash version of Kelsey's Red Ale (first attempt):

1.7kg APA

1.3kg light LME

300gm Vienna (partial mash with specialty grains)

175gm Special B (LHBS doesn't carry CaraAroma)

40gm Midnight Wheat

125gm maltodextrin

22L

14gm Coopers yeast (planed to use MJ's Liberty Bell, but they were out)

25gm Cascasde CryoHops dry hop (to be added in about a week)

Airlock has already started bubbling, in 8 hours.

Cheers,

Christina.

Transfered the Hefeweizen into the FV this morning and pitched the WLP300 starter into it. Im fermenting this one at 19°C this time just to see what happens.

OG 1.042

IBU 15.1

EBC 4

17 litres

62% Efficiency. (I had alot of trouble with my mill so i have just purchased a keg king 3 roller mill.)

Cheers!

Checked the SG on my brown/dark ale just now, it's sitting about 1.018 after 4 days in the FV, predicted FG is 1.011 so not far to go. It should be done either tomorrow or the next day. I raised the temp controller to 21 before I left for work earlier and it's now risen from 18 to 19.

I also had a small taste of it and I think this one is going to turn out way better than my previous attempt did. It has that sort of chocolatey malty flavor to it that I was going for, slight roasted flavor as well. Similarly flavored to a porter but not as intense. Looking forward to this being on tap.

Also, good luck with the red ale brew Christina, hopefully it turns out nice!

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 weeks later...

I threw the Falconer's Flight & Cascade dry hop additions into the second experimental FWH(30) brew this past Monday. The MJ's M44 yeast has done a good job with FG settling spot on 1.012.

I'll retrieve the two hop bags & squeeze their contents back into the beer likely tomorrow, then begin the cold crash phase to be ready for kegging this Sunday.

I'm a little nervous about the potential end bitterness with this latest version as there is nowhere to hide with the hop schedule I laid down this time around. unsure

Regardless, It'll still be beer, & I'll learn something from it. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Got three Fermenters going at the moment in number one I have the Brewdogs The Physics Amber Ale, this one is my first All Grain.

In number 2 I have a Ginger Beer made with fresh Ginger. I have seen no sign of fermentation but the Hydrometer tells me its fermenting away.

In Number 3 I have a Coopers Real Ale with 200g of 500 EB crystal malt and 50g of Galaxy dry hopped

I bottled my Hefeweizen earlier today so my FV was free to receive the NEIPA i made on ANZAC day. I ended up with 16 litres of 1.068 wort that smelled like hop pellets. I can't wait for this beer to tantalise my tastebuds with its juicyness. Im just a little worried about oxidation because i bottle my beers. Ive heard alot about how easy it is to oxidize these types of beers if you don't keg. I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks time.

Cheers everyone!

Rowbrew, if you are bottle conditioning (vs kegging then bottling from that keg), the yeast will consume the oxygen during secondary fermentation. In fact I recently listened to a podcast interviewing an American brewer who has switched all their hoppy beers to being bottle conditioned for additional shelf life and shelf stability. Also consider Sierra Nevada pale ale as an example of a hoppy, bottle conditioned beer. So I wouldn't worry too much about oxidation in the finished beer until you have personally seen the issue come up.

Cheers,

John

I transfered the ANZAC NEIPA into my FV on Saturday night and it is fermenting nicely at 20°C. The final stats on this one were

OG 1.068

IBU 73

16 litres

I took a hydro sample just to see how its going and its down to 1.024. Had a little taster and blimey it is bitter! I had a couple of cock ups on brewday and didnt think to change the hop schedule. Next time i think that i will omit the 60 min bittering addition all together and see what that produces.

Cheers!

There's some debate over how much oxygen the yeast actually consume in the bottle. Sierra Nevada use oxygen scavenging crown seals on their bottles, suggesting that they don't necessarily think that the yeast will remove it all. Given how hoppy that style is, you're probably better off drinking it fresh anyway before the hops have faded.

Anyway, I also have a pale ale in the fermenter, this one is the single hop Rakau pale ale I brewed a little while ago. It was pitched yesterday around 11am or so, and since the temp has dropped overnight around here, the wort was sitting much closer to fermentation temp at 22C. It's now down at 18, and there's no visual activity yet but I expect there will be when I come back after my first half at work in a few hours. They usually take a day to show signs. It smelt really nice going into the fermenter yesterday as well so I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers

Kelsey

Just put down a bastardized partial mash version of Kelsey's Red Ale (first attempt):

1.7kg APA

1.3kg light LME

300gm Vienna (partial mash with specialty grains)

175gm Special B (LHBS doesn't carry CaraAroma)

40gm Midnight Wheat

125gm maltodextrin

22L

14gm Coopers yeast (planed to use MJ's Liberty Bell' date=' but they were out)

25gm Cascasde CryoHops dry hop (to be added in about a week)

Airlock has already started bubbling, in 8 hours.

Cheers,

Christina.[/quote']

Just bottled this today. Ended up with 20.25L instead of the planned 22L. I dry hopped for two days before starting the cold crash, which lasted for 8 days. I was very interested to taste the leftovers, to get a sense of the impact of the CryoHops, and I have to say I am disappointed. There is very little of what I think of as dry hop character, or much grapefruit even. I know that if I had used regular Cascade pellets this would have way more flavour. Oh well, nothing I can do now except wait for it to carbonate and check again....Might end up a little over carbed due to the smaller than expected volume.

Cheers,

Christina.

Where's the Centennial at 20 minutes?? lol. That beer is in the mid 30s in IBUs, and funnily enough is in line to be brewed again next time I do a brew day. It hasn't been on tap for a while here actually.

The pale ale is up and going, or at least now showing visual signs of it. A thin layer of bubbles has emerged on top of the brew. Will check the SG in 2 days time and bump up the temp a few degrees as well.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived