Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

7 hours ago, PB2 said:

Yep, the Dextrose add should be 500g.  We only mention 1kg Coopers Dextrose because that is the unit size and we don't want customers wasting their time trying to find a 500g Dextrose pack when we don't offer it in that size.  😉

To anyone brewing the Coopers DIY recipes be fully aware of this. Often the product list for PURCHASE from the Coopers DIY range is different than the RECIPE LISTING quantities required to brew the associated beers. As an example a DIY listing might require you to purchase the dextrose package that only comes in 1kg. The recipe listing may ask you to use just 500gms of that.

Read carefully. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/26/2018 at 8:50 PM, Guvna said:

currently fermenting 2 brews which I have tried tweaking a bit from previous attempts.  I've made 8 batches since July and kept notes and recipes in beersmith so I picked what I thought were the better ones to try again. Nothing really special compared to the AG and BIAB efforts I read about here but if they are as good as, if not better than the first effort I'll be cheering.

first up -  pimped pale ale version 2;

First tasting of the Coopers APA  pimped pale v2 is real good.  my 'simple brews have been the best so far. will be mak'in again 👍

Looking at doing a version of the Coopers recent ROTM Pavlova Pale Ale at a 20-23L brew, but using what I have available:

1.7kg Bootmaker Pale Ale: upping from the North West Pale Ale can (similar EBC, but needs more bitterness, IBU)

25g Galaxy, 5 minute boil (to up the IBU closer to the standard recipe)

100g Light Crystal Malt Grains (hot steeped for 30  minutes, to increase EBC)

1.0kg Light Dry Malt; instead of the 250g Pale Malt Liquid Extract

500g Lactose (dry); Doubling the base recipe

2x170g Passionfruit Pulp; Doubling the base recipe

1tspn Vanilla Essence; Doubling the base recipe

Safale US-05 yeast (Harvested from a previous brew)

Discuss

8 hours ago, NewBrews said:

Sounds good to me.

I did find the craft kits I did (grand total of 2) had a higher perceived IBU than similarly IBU 23l kits.

But recipe looks the goods.

Thanks Newy

I did notice that the craft kits have higher IBU in 10 litres than most of the regular kits in 23 litres.  Therefore I am doing the short boil of Galaxy to up the IBU from the Bootmaker Pale Ale.  Also, only going up to 20 litres.  I am using the Bootmaker just because it is a can I have that has properties close to the North West Pale Ale craft can.

I might split some of this brew off to a second fermenter and dry hop with some leftover Galaxy to see how it comes out.

Getting into this brew day shortly.

Cheers Shamus

6 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

When are you going to add these Shamus?

Hi Captain

I am generally following the Pavlova Pale Ale Recipe Of The Month.

The recipe calls for adding the Passionfruit Pulp (and lactose) to 2 litres (my double batch will be 4 L) of a just boiled Pale Malt Extract wort and stirring until dissolved.  I am not sure that the pulp will actually dissolve.  Then cool and strain into fermenter.

Vanilla Essence is supposed to be added to the fermenter with the contents of the craft can.

So all before adding the yeast.

Cheers Shamus

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Captain

I am generally following the Pavlova Pale Ale Recipe Of The Month.

The recipe calls for adding the Passionfruit Pulp (and lactose) to 2 litres (my double batch will be 4 L) of a just boiled Pale Malt Extract wort and stirring until dissolved.  I am not sure that the pulp will actually dissolve.  Then cool and strain into fermenter.

Vanilla Essence is supposed to be added to the fermenter with the contents of the craft can.

So all before adding the yeast.

Cheers Shamus

I’ll be looking forward to your tasting notes on this one when it’s in the glass. 

I personally hate pavlova with a passion, but I get the idea for a beer. 

Just dry hopped me IPA and started to bring the temp up from 18 to 22 for a day or two, hopefully should clean up by Tuesday so I can get in a cold crash, I loose me brew fridge to the Christmas turkey on Thursday evening.

35g Mosaic
35g Cascade
35g Nelson Sauvin
35g Mandarina Bavaria

Tristan

On 12/15/2018 at 1:08 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looking at doing a version of the Coopers recent ROTM Pavlova Pale Ale at a 20-23L brew, but using what I have available:

1.7kg Bootmaker Pale Ale: upping from the North West Pale Ale can (similar EBC, but needs more bitterness, IBU)

Discuss

Have I stuffed this beer? 

Added 1kg of lactose instead of 500g.  I did not realise until the next morning, fermentation already well underway.

It explained why the OG was 1.065 in 20 litres, about 10 points higher than predicted.  I added 2 litres to bring the total to 22 litres and bring down the OG to 1.057

Anyway I have called it Bootful O' Pav.  Think this will be a very sweet beer.  Maybe change the name to Two Boots-full O' Pav.

Cheers Shamus

Hi BB.

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well played Lusty!

The old story.... If in doubt, read the manual 😆

A couple of years ago the DIY guys even made a boo boo. They listed the full 1kg of dextrose instead of 500gms to be added for the Coopers DIY Vintage Ale recipe for that year. The recipe used Nottingham yeast (I think?) that year that is a high attenuating yeast & forum brewers were asking a lot of questions regarding the unexpected OG & FG figures throughout that period when brewing the recipe.

By the time I'd spotted the type 'O' in the recipe listing & posted about it so Coopers could change it, it was too late as quite a few had already begun fermenting the brew.

Instead of approx. 7.5% ABV, guys were ending up with bottled beers upward of 8.5% ABV!! LOL! 😆

I found it all quite amusing at the time. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

And today is a big day... the first kit Hefeweizen for me (yes yes no All Graining just yet) ... and it seems to have come through as a great benchmark Weissbier... 

Good mouthfeel... not too many monkeys and bananas but good honest wheatie base flavour and texture... and plenty of kick with the extra malt.

Temp brewed out in the low 20s and standard Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat yeast... all gone well.   Will be interesting to see how WB06 changes it up when I do the next wheat... 

Thanks all for your help and advice on the way!

image.thumb.png.5b259ade9920e7a8e6da023b2ff5915b.png

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi BB.

Instead of approx. 7.5% ABV, guys were ending up with bottled beers upward of 8.5% ABV!! LOL! 😆

Hey Lusty,

well the extra 500 would have added a bit of extra ooooooomph to the brew ; )

I have a great memory of drinking Arkell's Noel on the Isle of Wight (circa 8%) years ago with a mate I had stayed with - in the Pub where the Ferry left for the mainland...  a Pound a Pint... they were getting rid of it after Christmas...

Four pints before catching the Ferry set me on me way  : )

Suspect that extra 500g would have cranked things up!

Cheers Lusty!

BB

On 12/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Discuss

@Shamus O'Sean have some passion fruit coming through on the vine in me backyard 😄, I'll have to give it a try.

Tristan

31 minutes ago, tja1980 said:

Dam that looks tasty @Bearded Burbler well done 🙂

Tristan

Cheers Tristan.  Thanks mate. 

What was really cool was after having a good debate with some of the Brew Legends on this site.. it all came good.

Honestly the depth of knowledge on this site is quite extraordinary!

Temp control was pretty ok...  used the standard Coopers Yeast after some forum discussion...  first iteration is definitely good.

Am going to have a crack at WB06 yeast next time

Onwards and upwards!

@Beaded Burbler, haven't had the chance to re-activate coopers yeast, I've only read good stories so I'll give it a crack in the new year 🙂

Yeah the people on here are great, even after 2 years going on 3 I make silly mistakes, so always learning new things.

I haven''t looked too much into yeast, its on my list for next year, with hops and water temp control, may just get a ink bird for me brew fridge and leave the mk 2 for me kettle.

Tristan

On 11/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, The Captain1525230099 said:

Have you sampled it at all @Ben 10

Im not real sure how long it takes surely only a few months. 

hydro test today, below 1.000. smells good, licked the hydro, tastes good.

keg or bottle?

and how do i get it out of the 25 litre plastic demijohn flagon thing?

8 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

hydro test today, below 1.000. smells good, licked the hydro, tastes good.

keg or bottle?

and how do i get it out of the 25 litre plastic demijohn flagon thing?

Wow, that’s low. But I guess the Brett will do that. 

If you keg, you’ll need to dismantle everything after it’s finished and clean, disinfect, clean, boil to get rid of that Brett in your system. Not that your kegs will sit around forever but it will infect your system for sure. You’ll have to do this with the demijohn too, unless your keeping it for Brett beers. 

To get it out, do you have a auto syphon? That’ll fit down the neck of it surely. Then Into a keg or bottling bucket. 

1 minute ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

unless your keeping it for Brett beers. 

definitely just for sour shit. might have to siphon to a fementer then transfer to probably bottles then. in an ideal world i'd have a seperate kegerator.

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

definitely just for sour shit. might have to siphon to a fementer then transfer to probably bottles then. in an ideal world i'd have a seperate kegerator.

Yep that would be an ideal world. Ha ha ha

Just smash everything with an iodine based steriliser, that’ll deal with it I’m sure. 

Archived