Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

@Otto Von Blotto, yeah just wasn't sure if you needed to mash in, out or dump it all in with BIAB.  😄

Yeah 66 degrees would need to get the temp up to 71 for strike water, then the mash out would be 76 degrees so water temp would be 93 from beersmith.

Had a look through the mash profiles, this is what it recommends for BIAB Medium Body.

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 29.50 L of water at 71.0 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

Tristan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds about right. I usually use 11 litres more water than the intended batch volume, so if I'm making a 25 litre batch, I put 36 litres of water in the urn at the beginning. As a result I only need the water about 3 degrees warmer than the target mash temp, and I don't need to add any more water.  

I use a false bottom in my urn which allows me to apply heat without having to lift the bag, so it's quite easy to go from mash temp to 72 and then to 78 for mash out at the end (the 72 step can be skipped, I just use it for a bit of added head retention). 

The only time I had trouble was trying to do a full step mash starting at about 40 degrees, moving up to 52ish, and then the usual sacch rests etc. When I mashed in that low the grain released a lot of milky looking shit that caked onto the element and prevented it working properly, and of course I couldn't access the element to clean it with the bag and false bottom in there. Starting at usual mash temps it has been fine though. 

18 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Spontaneous Pale Ale Tuesday....

30g - Ella 

30g - Galaxy 

Dry hop 

50g - Ella 

50g Galaxy...

Ella & Galaxy work well together. I have a Kolsch recipe that uses these two hops & it is really nice I reckon.

I'd expect a nice beer from your recipe.

Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Mine's a concealed element model, but it has a boil dry cutout. If enough crap builds up on the element cover, it thinks it's boiled dry and cuts it out. However, starting at 63 or 66 or wherever and ramping up to 72 then finally 78 causes no problems. 

There's no real need to do full step mashing with most modern malts anyway so I haven't bothered since those couple of fails. I am thinking about trying a decoction mash though, just need to get a long enough scoop to get some grains out. I can use the side burner on the BBQ to boil it in a stock pot before returning it to the main mash. 

My Pacific Saison is really kicking into gear now. It's up to 21C and the CO2 / yeast activity is pushing out some incredibly nice passionfruit aroma from the Galaxy (thanks very much Brewman!). Good thing I'm dry hopping to replace all that lost goodness. 

It had a couple of days at fermentation temps in the high teens to start with, and there's a bit of warm weather coming (29 tomorrow, then into the 30s) so it's time to let her go.

When the krausen starts to drop back a little I'll add the dry hop. Looking forward to tasting another saison fermented with my old favourite. 

Cheers, 

John

56 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Sounds like a cracker @porschemad911

Im thinking of dry hopping my next Saison to see how it turns out. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out for ya.

I am so tempted to add Nelson into the dry hop as well. But maybe I should save that for another beer and follow through with my original concept for this one. 

Cheers, 

John

17 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

I am so tempted to add Nelson into the dry hop as well. But maybe I should save that for another beer and follow through with my original concept for this one. 

Cheers, 

John

I’d go with original concept first. But I understand your dilemma ha ha.

My Motueka pale ale is in the middle of its cold crash at the moment, threw in a commando dry hop the other day, but have since been lazy with adding the isinglass and Polyclar. I'll get onto those over the weekend and keg it midweek next week. I've decided I'll sacrifice this keg for a new years party we're having at the new place. Can't have a party without at least one beer on tap!

Long, hot day at work today. 40°C here in SA today & I was out in the elements working in it all day. 😒

The commercial Coopers Pale Ales are being smashed as I type this. Anyways, back to home brewing...

I removed the dry hop baggy containing Riwaka, Motueka, Columbus, & Simcoe. Really interesting aromatics inline with the American Pale Ale style but slightly different in a good way than anything I've brewed or tasted before. 😎

I squeezed the pi$$ out of the chux bag & it poured a lot of highly aromatic liquid back into the brew, that is now in cold crash mode. I'll likely keg this on Sunday.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

White Lightning pils has been in the fv for 2 weeks at 10deg. I been away for a week so only just raised the temperature to 18 and dry hopped with 30g saaz. On Wednesday i will CC at 2deg for 4 days. Should be read to keg next Sunday.

Chucked down a Rad Abbot yesterday. Furiously bubbling away today 🙂

Recipe has conflicting measurments for the dextrose - I leant toward 500g as I won't mind a lighter style. Obvs came in a few points under.

Looking forward to a few different recipes over the warmer months. May even try a Saison or a Cube sour I've read so much about.

Just pitched my yeast @ 20 with US-05 on me Shower Session IPA, first all grain on me upgraded kettle, came out at 1.043 (target was 1.049) so there is three problems I need to dial in during that brew, its comming down to 18 degrees where it will sit for 5 days before an diacetyl rest, thrown two packs of US-05 in.

I did a hop stand on this at 80 degrees for 15 minutes, smells delicious, more so then this Single Fin I'm swilling back.

Also kegged the Short Circuited Mosaic Ale and MY GOD the Mosaic aroma is insanely yummy, when I went shopping after it was still smelling so strong.

Good Brew Day, apart from getting burnt need to do the brew under the shade...

Tristan

1 hour ago, tja1980 said:

Just pitched my yeast @ 20 with US-05 on me Shower Session IPA, first all grain on me upgraded kettle, came out at 1.043 (target was 1.049) so there is three problems I need to dial in during that brew, its comming down to 18 degrees where it will sit for 5 days before an diacetyl rest, thrown two packs of US-05 in.

I did a hop stand on this at 80 degrees for 15 minutes, smells delicious, more so then this Single Fin I'm swilling back.

Also kegged the Short Circuited Mosaic Ale and MY GOD the Mosaic aroma is insanely yummy, when I went shopping after it was still smelling so strong.

Good Brew Day, apart from getting burnt need to do the brew under the shade...

Tristan

Unlucky with missing your target gravity. Is there a reason you used 2 packets of US05 for that gravity. I only ever use 2 for a gravity over 1.060

2 hours ago, elLachlano said:

Chucked down a Rad Abbot yesterday. Furiously bubbling away today 🙂

Recipe has conflicting measurments for the dextrose - I leant toward 500g as I won't mind a lighter style. Obvs came in a few points under.

Looking forward to a few different recipes over the warmer months. May even try a Saison or a Cube sour I've read so much about.

Did you use the danstar abbaye yeast? Its not bad for a dry Belgian yeast. A touch tame for my liking in a dark strong but you will get a nice beer out of it. Try it in a Belgian blond if your dont mind the style. It makes a great blond.

12 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Did you use the danstar abbaye yeast? Its not bad for a dry Belgian yeast. A touch tame for my liking in a dark strong but you will get a nice beer out of it. Try it in a Belgian blond if your dont mind the style. It makes a great blond.

Yeah I did. First time using it and I was impresed by how quickly it got up and running on the 1.064 wort. 

Will defs take your blonde suggestion 🙂 Any kits and bits / partial recipes you can recommend? 

1 hour ago, elLachlano said:

Yeah I did. First time using it and I was impresed by how quickly it got up and running on the 1.064 wort. 

Will defs take your blonde suggestion 🙂 Any kits and bits / partial recipes you can recommend? 

You will find that its probably done in under a week if your doing it per recipe at the 22c.

Try this one but substituting the yeasts that they use for the abbaye. I made this one twice in my kit days and i did tweak the 2nd one for only 250gm of dried malt and 250gm of dextrose which made it finish lower and from my notes nicer. I also did the 2nd one at 20c which muted the esters a touch. 

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/abbey-blonde.html

18 hours ago, elLachlano said:

Yep, the Dextrose add should be 500g.  We only mention 1kg Coopers Dextrose because that is the unit size and we don't want customers wasting their time trying to find a 500g Dextrose pack when we don't offer it in that size.  😉

7 hours ago, PB2 said:

Yep, the Dextrose add should be 500g.  We only mention 1kg Coopers Dextrose because that is the unit size and we don't want customers wasting their time trying to find a 500g Dextrose pack when we don't offer it in that size.  😉

Ahhh the retail economics. Makes sense to me. 😄 👍

Archived