Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

1 hour ago, Silmaril said:

I'm coming to the conclusion there is a God of Hydrometers who takes evil delight in spinning the hydrometer away from my eyes. Every time.

Happens to me too, each time i'm like.....really......REALLY 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I did Coopers Dark Ale, with 1kg Brew Enhancer 1 and 500g Light Dry Malt.

Did up to 10L, then split into two batches

1.  Nut Brown Ale

• Add 200g Light Crystal Malt grains - Steeped for 30 minutes and strained and boiled for 10 minutes
  • Topped up to 11.5L
  • Harvested US-05 Yeast (3rd Gen)
  • OG 1.047

2.  Spicy Brunette

• 1tspn cinnamon
  • Topped up to 11.5L
  • Harvested US-05 Yeast (3rd Gen)
  • OG 1.043

Cheers Shamus

Popped on my variant inspired by @porschemad911 Pacific Saison. Few different ingredients to his:

1.50 kg Morgan's Master Malt Wheat [Boil] (3.6 EBC) Extract 1 100.0 % 0.99 L
5.00 g Amarillo [8.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 2 3.8 IBUs -
5.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 3 6.2 IBUs -
5.00 g Galaxy [15.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 7.3 IBUs -
5.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 5 1.2 IBUs -
5.00 g Galaxy [15.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 6 1.5 IBUs -
1.0 pkg French Saison Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M29) Yeast 7 - -
15.00 g Galaxy [15.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs -
10.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs -
8.00 g Amarillo [8.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs -

Now to see what I get out of this after Christmas - as I think this one will take about 4 weeks to build.

Also bottled a non-alcoholic Ginger Beer for the family for Christmas.

Now - time for bed 🙂

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Today I did Coopers Dark Ale, with 1kg Brew Enhancer 1 and 500g Light Dry Malt.

Hey there Shamus - sounds good.  

And hope you got some sleep PM911-John... sounded like a nasty stint.

Suggestions for dark ale hop augmentation anyone?  (I realise there is the school of thought that the dark ales should let the malt do the talking...)

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey there Shamus - sounds good.  

And hope you got some sleep PM911-John... sounded like a nasty stint.

Suggestions for dark ale hop augmentation anyone?  (I realise there is the school of thought that the dark ales should let the malt do the talking...)

Hi BB

Ol' Brown Dog on the recipes pages has Cascade and Centennial

Spiced Winter Ale, a craft recipe, uses Tettnanger

Cheers Shamus

I threw the chux dry hop baggy of Simcoe, Motueka, Riwaka, & Columbus into my current pale ale brew a little earlier today. The combo smelled really good & seemed to blend well.

Time will tell, but am looking forward to the eventual aroma(s) it produces with the beer.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Spontaneous Pale Ale Tuesday.

4.5kg - Pale Ale Malt 

.5 - Munich 

.2 - Carapils

Mash 75 mins @ 67°

Boil - 60 mins 

Bittering - Warrior @ 60 

Flame out 

30g - Ella 

30g - Galaxy 

Dry hop 

50g - Ella 

50g Galaxy

US-05 yeast slurry

EST  OG - 1.057

EST FG -1.014

Will be using the Maxi BIAB method so interesting to see how this will turn out.

35 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Spontaneous Pale Ale Tuesday. 4.5kg - Pale Ale Malt  - .5 - Munich  - .2 - Carapils -Mash 75 mins @ 67° - Boil - 60 mins  - Bittering - Warrior @ 60  - Flame out 

30g - Ella 30g - Galaxy Dry hop 50g - Ella 50g Galaxy US-05 yeast slurry EST  OG - 1.057 EST FG -1.014 

Will be using the Maxi BIAB method so interesting to see how this will turn out.

... certainly seems a whole quantum leap ahead of my kits and dry malts...  good luck with it SC!  What does a bag of Pale Malt cost?  Do yer buy it in a $20kg bag or just get a few kg in when you need it?  Something to aspire to... 

38 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Bought the 25kg sack for 60 odd dollars. I was testing smaller batches but was paying $5 + a kilo so buying in bulk has halved my cost. I still have 15-20 odd coopers kits to get thru also haha. 

Good stuff.  For your malted grain what sort of storage requirements - just general food/grain storage practices... keep cool - sealed if possible - away from weevils mice rats etc ? 

Or in the fridge/cool room?

Missed OG by 4 points .. but 5.2kg grain in a 19 Litre pot I'm not surprised. First Maxi done n dusted.  Some good learning out of it and I'm pretty happy overall. Was expecting a lot less on the OG but I squeezed that bag like it owed me money. Grain absorption is a lot more then I expected. 

Edit: just realised I filled to 24 litres ... 

Thanks Lads for the good advice.  Good luck with the boiling up Smashed.  Am hoping to pick up shipment off the courier depot an hour away my first ever 20KG bag of LDME tomorrow,  my ordered dark malt, and then grab some hops off a little local bloke on the way back who I think is now trading out of his house as the shop lease $$ were too fierce... yet to find out but he says he has some in his diminished stocks... hopefully I can find him... and with a bit of brewer's luck I might be able to put down a dark-ish ale tomorrow night   ; )

19 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

First Maxi done n dusted.

Nice work! I reckon a Maxi BIAB might be a decent candidate for a partigyle brew, because of the high gravity of the lost wort. Basically pop your grain bag into a bucket while you're doing the bringing the first batch to a boil and dunk it back into another 19l pot of strike water (or the same one after the boil and transfer is done). You can top up the grain bill, eg with crystal malt or roasted malt to give some variety. Pull the bag and boil the second batch.

Your second batch will not really stand up to dilution, but you could always add malt extract to bring up the gravity. Just a bit of fun really.

Cheers,

John

That's the way I do it. I have an urn, but I do the mash wherever it is in the 60s that I'm mashing for 60-70 minutes, then raise it to 72 for 15 minutes, then raise it to 78 for mash out. Works fine.

If you did it by adding water to it, you would need that water to be hotter than the target temperature otherwise it won't get there. Boiling water is what is normally used. Adding 8-10 litres of 76 degree water to 18 litres of wort/grain mash isn't gonna bring the whole thing up to 76.

Archived