10.5 lt Total

Batch #8 - Canadian Clubb

Coopers Canadian Blonde Can

200g crystal malt (Steeped for 30 Mins)

30g Galaxy Hops 14.8% @ 25 Mins in boiling water

will Dry Hop Galaxy 30g on day 5

US 05 Yeast rehydrated

Original Gravity - 1.045

My gut feeling is this will likely end up extremely bitter. Boiling that much Galaxy hops for 25mins on top of the reduced volume using the Canadian Blonde kit has the IBU count off the charts.

I'll be amazed if you can drink it once it's fermented out.

I gain no pleasure being the bringer of bad news. I hope by some miracle I'm wrong.

Best of luck.

Lusty.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:50 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Put down an extract Robust Bavarian Lager today. (Sunday)

• 1.7kg Black Rock Export Pilsner
  • 1.5kg Briess Munich Malt Extract
  • 500g Light Dry Malt
  • 25g Magnum 20 minute boil with the LDM in 4L
  • 25g Saaz 20 minute steep

Made to 21L

OG 1.052

In temp controlled freezer at 12 degrees

Beer Essentials recipe from Australian Home Brewing in Oakleigh South.

Loving checking on the ferment of the above each ~12 hours or so.  Not much for 12-24 hours but then kicked into gear.

Hey when we say "day 4", is the first 24 hours day 1 or day zero?; Therefore day 1 is the second 24 hours?

Cheers Shamus

784480645_RobustBavarianLagerfermenterDay4.JPG.b713bba7e7e381bc0b301c56bb854b74.JPG

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

My gut feeling is this will likely end up extremely bitter. Boiling that much Galaxy hops for 25mins on top of the reduced volume using the Canadian Blonde kit has the IBU count off the charts.

I'll be amazed if you can drink it once it's fermented out.

I gain no pleasure being the bringer of bad news. I hope by some miracle I'm wrong.

Best of luck.

Lusty.

Sorry Lusty i meant to say that the below: 

"30g Galaxy Hops 14.8% @ 25 Mins in boiling water"

Was actually a steep in water that was just boiling, i was going to boil it for 10-15 in the wort but the local brew store advised me that it would be a IBU disaster, much like your advice 🙂

Had a bit of a taste of the sugars before pitching and it tasted great, fingers crossed it only gets better!

so far the ferment is lookin good, its making that dense Krausen the US05 seems to love to do & have kept it in 18-20 range

cheers!

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Loving checking on the ferment of the above each ~12 hours or so.  Not much for 12-24 hours but then kicked into gear.

Hey when we say "day 4", is the first 24 hours day 1 or day zero?; Therefore day 1 is the second 24 hours?

Cheers Shamus

Day 1 is the first day, the first 24 hours. There is no such thing as day zero. Zero days have passed but there is no "zeroeth day". When it goes into the second 24 hours, that's the second day as one day has passed. 

I usually don't refer to the time in those terms because people take them in different ways. I usually just say "after 5 days" or something. 

e.g. talking about timing of temperature rises. I usually say I raise the temp on lagers after they've been in the fermenter for 6 days. This would occur on the 7th day. 

It's a bit like your age. If you're 32 years old, you're living through your 33rd year.

3 hours ago, beerdeluxe said:

Sorry Lusty i meant to say that the below: 

"30g Galaxy Hops 14.8% @ 25 Mins in boiling water"

Was actually a steep in water that was just boiling, i was going to boil it for 10-15 in the wort but the local brew store advised me that it would be a IBU disaster, much like your advice 🙂

Had a bit of a taste of the sugars before pitching and it tasted great, fingers crossed it only gets better!

so far the ferment is lookin good, its making that dense Krausen the US05 seems to love to do & have kept it in 18-20 range

cheers!

I'm glad to hear the Galaxy hop addition was in fact a steep, not a boil. 🙂

Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Put this one down the other day and is fermenting away nicely, but forgot to add the Whirlfloc as per other thread:

CCCM  IPA, 59 IBUs 1.059

4.75kg Maris Otter

0.5kg Munich 

0.3kg Cararye

0.2kg sugar

HOPS

Chinook 15g 50min

Cascade 30g 15min

Citra & Mosaic 30g 10min

Cascade 20g 5min

Citra and Mosaic 10g 5min

This is my first time doing my own malt bill and not buying the recipe packs straight from Brewmart.

Have enjoyed all beers with Maris Otter, Munich and Cararye so far

All these hops are in my top 5 as well, so hopefully it turns out well..

Cheers

James

2 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

RIS is coming along nicely topped it up to 20L and took the reading, as you can tell I'm surprised how much it's dropped in less then a week. 

20181124_121111.jpg

I hope the hydrometer is floating. Seems like not enough beer in there.

so...

this is still there, started it not long after brewed, so nearly two months in the fv. the brett is supposed to eat the autolised (is that even a word?) yeast.

Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Flanders Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 30.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 26.69 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 30.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         1          64.5 %        2.28 L        
1.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          27.6 %        0.98 L        
0.20 kg          CHÂTEAU CARA RUBY (50.0 EBC)                    Grain         3          3.7 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         4          3.7 %         0.13 L        
0.03 kg          Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)            Grain         5          0.6 %         0.02 L        
20.00 g          Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           6          16.6 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Belgian Lambic Blend (Wyeast Labs #3278) [124.21 Yeast         7          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bumped the temp up on the Motueka pale ale to 21 on the controller tonight when we got home. Nice inch or so of krausen on the brew so it obviously got going at some point Thursday after we left. I'll have to clean out the hydrometer test jar so I can take a sample tomorrow, or maybe I'll just leave it alone and check it Thursday and Saturday. 

On 11/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, Beerlust said:

I'm glad to hear the Galaxy hop addition was in fact a steep, not a boil. 🙂

Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Thanks, just tested it and its very promising. Day 6 today and added a dry hop bag yesterday of around 30g Galaxy.

I can't believe how much steeping grains changes the depth of flavour! i am convinced, never will make a batch of only can soup 🙂

Currently fermenting 2 brews which I have tried tweaking a bit from previous attempts.  I've made 8 batches since July and kept notes and recipes in beersmith so I picked what I thought were the better ones to try again. Nothing really special compared to the AG and BIAB efforts I read about here but if they are as good as, if not better than the first effort I'll be cheering.

first up -  pimped pale ale version 2;

15g Centennial @ 15mins

10 g each of Cascade and Amarillo @ 5 mins

18 g Amarillo & 12 Cascade @ FO

1.0 kg LDME

1.7kg Coopers APA 

1kg  x BE2 

1.5 pkts US-05 @ 19c - started after approx 12hrs

26 ltrs,  OG - 1.047  - Currently sitting at 1.013 after 8 days, been dry hopped on day 5 with 30g Amarillo,  Crashing in next day or 2.

second up -  toned down session ale of sorts  ( I gotta make up decent some names for these brews one day)

200 gm crystal malt steeped 20 mins

15gm Centenial @ 60 mins

15gm Amarillo @ 15mins

20gm Galaxy @ 1 min

20 gm Galaxy @ FO

1kg LDME

1.5kg Coopers LME

400gm dex

1.5 pkts MJ -  M44 @ 20.5 - took approx 24 hours to get going, which I'm happy with given many comments about m44 being a lazy starter

24 ltrs OG - 1.041 

Hoping they're easy drinking , Cheers Guvna

Put this one down today:

Easy Amarillo Pale Ale

4.75kg Pale Ale malt

0.5kg White wheat malt

0.3kg Caramunich

HOPS

15g Magnum 45 mins

20g  Amarillo 10mins

20g Amarillo 5 mins

24 litres in fermenter

28 IBUs 

SG: 1.052

Really been enjoying the smoothness of Amarillo lately, nice and breezy......

Cheers

James

I bottled up my English IPA last night, filled a 6l Tap-a-draft bottle for drinking soon and 10 stubbies for aging.

It's a fairly full on beer, will be around 8% ABV once carbonated, has a nice bracing bitterness and then you're hit by a wall of EKG goodness. The body feels about right to balance things once it's carbonated. It's certainly a big contrast to the Dark Mild I was drinking while bottling. 

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into pints of this in a month or so! Don't think a 6 month sea voyage is needed for this to become enjoyable, but it will be interesting to see how the bottles age.

Now onto the saisons! 

Cheers, 

John

16 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Day 8 of my Pirate Life IPA clone today so I went to take a sample from my conical fermenter and the BIG dry hop has gone all the way up above the tap so my sample was thick and green. 

I’ll just use the expected final gravity number then😆 

Beer Baron

Haha, how are you going to bottle that? 

Archived