Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, porschemad911 said:

Haha, no joke... IPA rather than a bitter though. 

I'll mash 300g Simpson's Maris Otter and 1kg Voyager Compass in my mash tun with 16.15l strike water (90 min mash, no sparge). 

On my system this should give me 13.35l of wort in my kettle at 1.021 SG. For the hop boil I'll add 25g EKG at 60 mins, 50g EKG at 5 mins then 75g EKG at flameout (15 min steep). I'll also dissolve the Cerveza tin at flameout.

In the end I'll get about 12.5l post boil at a 1.065 OG and 95 IBU. I'll let that cool in the kettle with the lid on for a day or two, then pour through a strainer into my fermenter.

Cheers, 

John

Decided to add LDM to bring the OG up to 1.075. Need it nice and strong for a bit of bottle aging.

12 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

How long are you planning on aging for John?

The last English IPA I made was very interesting to drink from about 4 weeks up to 12 months (when I drank the last bottle of that batch). The malt complexity that developed over time from just 100% British pale malt was really interesting.

For this one, I'll put 6l into a Tap-a-draft bottle and put it on tap at around 6 weeks of age. Just because this would be an awesome beer to have on tap in the fridge. I'll bottle the rest into 330ml glass with one carb drop so they're nice and fizzy (which is how these beers would have been back in the day, were described as 'champagne-like'), and give these some extended aging. I'll keep them for least 12 months, hopefully longer. After I've finished off the draught version I'll sample a bottle every couple of months to see how they are travelling.

Hopefully it will at least inform the next all-grain version I do. I want to use Wyeast 9097-PC for that, but not quite brave enough to introduce brett into my little brewery just yet.

Cheers,

John

7 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Introducing Brett into a system is a little daunting but nothing that iodine can’t get rid of yeah?

True, maybe I should order a pack while it's available, it being a seasonal strain and all. And grab a large bottle of strong unscented bleach to soak everything in afterwards.

After 5 days in the fermenter I tested my Pacific Ale clone to see how it was travelling before I dry hopped it. SG is at 1.011 and spreadsheet suggested 1.010 so if it’s not there it’s damn close. Sample doesn’t taste anything like S&Ws Pacific Ale but it’s pretty damn good anyway, given it’s my first extract brew. The only thing that I’m a bit freaked out about is there a massive yeast raft floating on top. Never seen that before with kit brews. Is that something US05 will do, given I pitched the whole pack in a 10l brew? 

Strangely enough (maybe not) it really doesn’t have any of the “home brew” taste I’ve got from kits in the past. This is good!

Looking forward to seeing where it’s at tomorrow night, and giving it some of that more galaxy aroma.

Happy camper tonight!

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

One day it is there and the next completely gone.

Jeez Hairy - are you the yeast whisperer? It was still there this morning and when I got home tonight there was no trace of it except for a thick line of yeast sitting on top of the trub! 

So same Hydrometer reading tonight, so the dry hop is in and planning to bottle Thursday night.

Definitely more of a pale ale then the Stone and Wood variety, colour closer to the Sierra Nevada Tropical IPA I knocked over this afternoon, with a similar amount of body  to the beer. 

Just put down the most expensive beer you could possible imagine... in short I f*cked up...

Recipe: Short Circuited Mosaic Pale Ale (or F*cked Mosaic Pale Ale)
Brewer: Tristan
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American Salty Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.56 L
Post Boil Volume: 14.86 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 19.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 17.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 32.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
0.15 kg          (Briess) Caramel Munich Malt 60L [Steep] (120.0  Grain         1          4.6 %         0.10 L        
0.15 kg          (Briess) Carapils Malt [Steep] (2.0 EBC)         Grain         2          4.6 %         0.10 L        
1.70 kg          Australian Pale Ale Extract (Coopers) [Boil] (90 Extract       3          52.3 %        1.20 L        
1.00 kg          Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil] (0.0 EBC)           Sugar         4          30.8 %        0.63 L        
0.25 kg          Corn Syrup [Boil] (2.0 EBC)                      Sugar         5          7.7 %         0.18 L        
14.00 g          Super Pride [14.25 %] - Boil 30.0 min            Hop           6          14.5 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 min        Hop           7          5.8 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml]          Yeast         8          -             -             
25.00 g          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days    Hop           9          0.0 IBUs      -             

Fellow brewers, boil overs suck... specially when they kill your 4 grand ovens control board that sits right under your gas hot plate... so if AEG has a board and a technician between now and Christmas that can repair this model and I hope to god they do and can before Christmas then I'll become a religious man, if not finding an oven before christmas that will fit exactly into the space right before christmas is going to take a f*cking christmas miracle.  Hence i've either f*cked up so bad this mistake is between 300 and 4,000 bucks...

This better taste great...

Tristan

Popped the Mosaic Pale into the fridge, I'm doing a two stage fermentation, 4 days in primary, then will transfer off to the keg for secondary for another 10 days.  Theres a inch of crust on it this morning...

Should know about me oven today ?

Tristan

Oh after secondary I'll let it sit for 2-3 weeks, i'll transfer with a bouncer to reduce the sediment, primarily with space in the fridge at a premium I am bottling the saspy this weekend so to make more room in the fridge the keg will be needed as its narrower, meaning I can get me bottles into it as well for conditioning.

Tristan

Hi All,

Haven't posted in a while. Had a bit on; Took on more responsibility at work, moved house and kid #4 arrived. Put this down yesterday:

Coopers Euro Lager kit

2.3Kg Gladfields Light Lager Malt

25g Tradition @10 mins

25g Tradition @5 mins

23L

Notto @ 16C

OG1042 (Bit lower than I was hoping. Something has gone astray)

I also have a FWK from All inn brewing (APA) fermenting away nicely. 

Cheers,

Dave

Just put in my Brewdog punk IPA, which I named “Nevermind the Buzzcocks”, sitting nicely at 19c. On the third Gen of 1056 for this and harvesting from yeast starter is so easy. Works well with my work schedule. 

This one is going to take me a bit longer. I’ll get back in 8 days, turn it down to 14c for the dry hop of 5 days, then it’ll be cold crashed for 10 before bottling.

Here's a new one for me.

I have a Black rock pils in the FV. Used a can of LME as my fermentables, boiled and steeped some saaz, and used US05. 7 days later, I've still got a thick, oozy krausen, no sign of clearing yet and the SG has only dropped from 1.045 to 1.015. I'm guessing just leave it longer?

Don't know guv, never seen that in any batches. 

My red ale has been sitting at 0 degrees since the weekend and is due to be kegged Saturday. I'm going back to "au naturale" with this particular batch, not adding any isinglass or polyclar because I simply haven't had time to with all this house buying malarkey. I boiled and chilled the water for the isinglass but that's as far as it got ?. This and the pils will be the last ones tapped at this house, but I will probably ferment and keg the pale ale before we move so I've got one ready. 

Tristan I don't take much notice of the beersmith fermentation profile either. My ales just sit at 18 for 3-4 days then get raised to 21-22 until 2-3 days after FG is reached. Then cold crashed for a week.

I couldn't find much more info on two stage ale fermentation other then what was in Beersmith, it kind of did fit what I wanted to do, but I'll let it go in the fridge as is, its been sitting there around 18.3-.4 for 3 days, I'll ramp up the temp tomorrow.

Tristan

Bottled a Kilted IPA last night as I've done a few heavy weight beers of late. Thought it time for something a bit lighter over summer for a sessionable beer.

Have a Hop Slam IPA AU in the other FV - this was the first of 3 attempts where I actually had the CCA on hand to try the recipe exact. But then decided tonight to mess with dry hop schedule and added Cascade / Eucanot / Topaz to the mix so now it's a sorta cross between an AU and a US.

The CCA once again is taking it's sweet ass time to finish off (a la the '18 Vintage Ale). From a reading of 1014, I upped the temp to 22C tonight along with the dry hops to keep it going.

Tasted super bananas... Interested to see how this turns out from the others as I wasn't overly taken with them using just US05.

Archived