Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it is the niiicccceee and cleeeeaaaaannnn new fermenter.  It is not seasoned yet.  So the first brew might be like everybody's first Coopers Lager.  It looks like the nerdy kid's shiny shoes on the first day of school.  Just waiting to be scuffed.  ? 

Cheers Shamus

It is scuffed on the outside but the inside was fine. As a result I got it for $10 less than normal. I have no idea why this brew is so tame but I guess the gravity reading will tell all. I'll probably take one after I get the post boil reading from tomorrow's brew day, I'm curious to see how far it actually has dropped. 

Put these 2 down yesterday, one is an easy drinking pale ale and the other is my regular IPA 

AmaGalaxy Pale Ale

Brewed 19/10/18

5.5kg Pale malt

0.25kg White wheat

0.23kg Carapils

0.35kg Caramalt

HOPS

10g Fuggles 60min

12g Willamette 60min

30g Amarillo 10min

30g Galaxy 5min

20L at 1.060, with starter and water topped to 23L OG is 1.055

IBUs: 29.3

Citra Chinook Mosaic IPA

Brewed 19/19/18

4.75kg Pale malt

0.23kg Munich

0.15kg Caramunich

0.3kg Caramalt

0.3kg Sugar 

HOPS

15g Citra and Chinook 60min

15g Citra and Chinook 15min

30g Citra 2min

25g Mosaic 2 min

OG 1.059 for 20.5L

Topped up with 1.3L starter and 1.2L of water to get to 23L

This brings OG down to 1.055

IBU 61

Fermenting away nicely now can’t wait to taste them!!

Cheers

James

Well my Enterprising Lager is fermenting well. A very healthy looking krausen sits atop the brew. Late last night I turned the temp controller off & allowed the brew to free rise upwards from the 13°C it has been at for the last 4 days or so. It rose a good 3.5°C overnight when I checked it earlier this morning, & is now sitting at around 17.0°C. I've switched the controller back on & am still allowing the brew temp to free rise until it hits 18°C where I will then have the controller hold it just above that temperature to complete the ferment.

Some might consider 4 days a little early to elevate the temperature, but I'm also testing a theory I read sometime ago that suggests the bulk of the yeast derived flavours are produced within the first 3-4 days of active fermentation.

That, and I got caught out leaving my diacetyl rest too late last time I brewed a lager. That ain't happening this time! ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Wouldn't it have been easier to just set the controller to 18 in the first place instead of turning it off and back on again? ? That's all I do with mine, fridge stays off until it hits 18.3. Or do you have a heat source plugged into it as well?

I could have. I have a heat source, but that isn't plugged in for this brew as there is no real need. I don't know if my view on this is warranted, but I don't like having the controller engage an empty socket, & I didn't want the heat source plugged in as it tends to speed the temp rise process up a bit too fast for my liking. It was just as easy to turn the thing off & let the brew rise naturally under it's own steam & in it's own time.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Just took an SG sample from my big stout, after 5 days it has dropped from 1.0855 to 1.024 giving a current ABV of about 8.1%, and tastes good so the recipe has worked to give me the intended outcome. I'll leave it sit for another week or so and monitor the hydrometer sample to see if it drops further as that is a bit higher than the predicted FG which I think was 1.019 or so. 9 months or so maturing in the keg should see it really nice by the time it's tapped next winter though. 

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just took an SG sample from my big stout, after 5 days it has dropped from 1.0855 to 1.024 giving a current ABV of about 8.1%, and tastes good so the recipe has worked to give me the intended outcome. I'll leave it sit for another week or so and monitor the hydrometer sample to see if it drops further as that is a bit higher than the predicted FG which I think was 1.019 or so. 9 months or so maturing in the keg should see it really nice by the time it's tapped next winter though. 

Nice one Kelsey. 

I’d still bottle that but hey, it’s your beer. 

Hopefully it’s as great as your expecting once it’s on the pour

I finally found some time to bottle up my Coopers Draught beer today. Its been in the FV for almost 4 weeks. I know i said that i would keep this as a kit and kilo brew, but i decided to dry hop it with 100g of Cascade. Only because i purchased some very cheap brewing ingredients from a fellow forum member a few weeks ago, which included of 800g of Cascade hop pellets, so ive got plenty to throw around.

Cheers!

The double FV fridge is up and running!

Bottom shelf = 25ltrs

TC Inkeepers Sparkling Ale

BE2

1kg LDME

10 gm centennial, cascade @ 15mins ( used 250gms of LDME with 2.5 ltrs water)

10 gm cascade and amarillo @ 5 mins and 0 mins

2 pkts of the TC kit yeast @ 20c  now fermenting at 19c after 12  hours

OG - 1.049

Top Shelf = 25ltrs

Coopers Real Ale

200gm Crystal Malt - 40l

1 kg LDME

1kg Golden DME

10 gm centennial, cascade @ 15mins

10 gm cascade and amarillo @ 5 mins and  20 gms of each @ 0 mins

2 pkts BRY-97 @ 21c fermenting at 19c after 24 hours

OG - 1.050

20181022_164521.jpg

hope there good.  after these 2 that will be 6 brews to date, I will review which ones were best and try to fine tune them to my liking. wouldnt mind trying a cider too

happy brewing all

Guvna

Looks like a great setup. I'd be looking for a fridge like that if I didn't already have a kickarse one. Will be getting another fermenting fridge but just for the one fermenter so one in each, but that works out better anyway because I can only do one yeast starter at a time, so disregard the second sentence ?

48 minutes ago, Guvna said:

wouldnt mind trying a cider too

happy brewing all

Guvna

I used to make a Mangrove Jack's pear cider pretty regularly, but I have heard good things about all their pouch ciders to be honest. They are as simple as a coopers kit, 1kg of dextrose and dump in the yeast, ciders being one of the types of drinks that benefit from dextrose and you will have a cider worthy of any store bought. The MJ pouches come with sweetener and essence. Use all the essence but with the sweetener just remember, a whole pack is like Rekordlik in sweetness level, slightly lower. I like 1/2 a pack to a 1/4 of a pack for the pear it brings out some tartness.

Just a suggestion of a good simple kit

Norris

Archived