Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I just followed what Chad advised. The contact time becomes an issue with wine so I figure it has some bearing. It might turn out fine the way you are doing it, I just don't know for sure as I haven't tried it for this shorter time length.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Well if it doesn't work that well this way then I'll try it at yeast pitch time next time. It's too late for this one to do that now of course. 

Do you just throw them in or is there some sanitizing of them first?

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest adding the oak chips to the FV once you have finished kegging/bottling.

That way you won’t ruin your beer with the woody taste. Sorry, I have been scarred ever since I had an Innis and Gunn Oak beer ?

17 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Well if it doesn't work that well this way then I'll try it at yeast pitch time next time. It's too late for this one to do that now of course. 

Do you just throw them in or is there some sanitizing of them first?

Chad just told me to hurl them in commando, so that's what I did & still do. Never had a problem. Some choose to boil them for a short time, some soak in whiskies & vodkas etc. From practical experience(s), I've not seen the need for any prep work on them. I'm pretty sure they're sanitary when I buy them.

Just be careful when you are draining the FV, the smaller oak chips can get caught in the tap inlet. ?

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

That way you won’t ruin your beer with the woody taste. Sorry, I have been scarred ever since I had an Innis and Gunn Oak beer ?

You need to get some CanadianEh!_L Big Island IPA in your glass mate! No plaid lumberjack shirt for you!

Garcon!.....a skivvy for this man please!

Cheers,

Lusty.

So, some of the oak chips sat on top of the krausen yesterday but seemed to have somewhat dropped into the actual beer today. I just took an FG reading, it's sitting around 1.0125-1.013 after 6 days in the fermenter, which is bang on the predicted FG so I'd say it's done. I will take another reading on Friday to confirm as per usual. Krausen is slowly subsiding. I put the usual 30g Cascade dry hop in after taking the reading, using a large tea strainer ball. I knocked some of the krausen around with it to get the remaininh oak chips into the beer with the rest of them. Due to drop temp for the cold crash on Saturday so that should see everything drop anyway. 

I'm interested to see what the oak chips bring to this beer. As a lot of you know, I brew this one pretty regularly, but this is the first time I've added oak chips.

Cheers

Kelsey

So I tested my dry stout today and and she’s finished on target 1.011.

Tasted the sample and it’s a very refreshing dry roasted probably brown ale. I’ve never tasted a dry stout so I don’t know what to go on but it’s tasting good so far. 

Cold crashing now and will bottle come Monday. Not sure I can keep brewing as I’m not sure I have enough bottles ha ha oh well. 

Yeah im not really a fan. Apart from Guinness I’ve never had a dry stout.

Ive had some choc stouts that were nice but Guinness isn’t for me. 

Tried the Coopers extra stout tonight and that’s not for me either. 

Maybe I’ve brewed a beer that is quite literally for giving away ha ha which I don’t mind at all

One of my oldest friends, we’ve been mates since we were 5, who has Irish background asked me to brew a dry Irish stout, just like Murphy’s.

I’ve been waiting for him to come down and brew it with me but with our work schedules it’s a bit hard and he’s a d!ck so hasn’t made time to come down ha ha ha so I’ve just tried another version to see how it’ll go. If he likes it then cool but if not I might have a tipper or like the Australian Salmon, a neighbours fish/beer

oh well it’s only beer!

Captain

The dry hops have been swimming freely for 3 days now so i took another reading. Its dropped another 2 points and is sitting at 1.012. This thing smells unreal. I am most definitely dry hopping commando from now on. I have never seemed to get this strong aroma from containing the hops before. Im am so chuffed!

Cheers!

Good stuff Rowan. Glad your happy.

I look forward to the story that after you get so frustrated with the wand clogging that you chuck the sh!ts and throw the lot over the front lawn. 

On another note, Diastatic power of hops dropping that by another couple of points?

Captain

Haha! Nice one Cap! She'll be right. Ill try and post some pics of how i filter the wort when transfering to my bottling bucket. I have never heard of hops dropping FG readings, so im unsure if you are taking the piss. But i think it wasn't completely finished. The mash temp probably wasn't high enough, starting at 69°C, but it dropped 6°C over 90 mins. Wanted to bottle it today but now im not sure if it is completely finished

Nah mate, not taking the piss. 

Not sure how much dry hops would make a difference but it has been said that dry hops can effect the FG of your beer. I don’t think that it would push two points though. 

Be good to see your filtering method mate. 

Captain

Just threw in the biggest dry hop I have ever done. 82.5g Citra, 55g Simcoe and 69g Mosaic. 206.5g in total. It's Brewdogs Dead Pony Club Session IPA recipe.

I put this ina mega hop bag and will yank it out after 3-4 days. These hops are likely to absorb a lot of beer which is a shame. I'm not going to squeeze the beer out of the hops. Last time I did that with a big dry hop I had astrigency and an overbitter flavour to the beer. I don't recall it being like that pre-dry hop

So cold Crash from Sunday evening and will report back how much aroma and bitterness this mega dry hop has added 

Tested the red ale again today and it is sitting at a neat 1.012. Only dropped about half a point in those two days so I'm saying it's done. Will keep the temp up at 22 until tomorrow when I'll drop the controller temp to 0 and keg next weekend. 

The sample tasted pretty good if not a bit bitter, but that's pretty normal for FG samples. Can't notice anything from the oak chips yet, but they've only been in there 2 or 3 days. I'm hoping the cold crash sees them drop through the beer and perhaps influence it more. Next batch they'll be going in with the yeast.

Cheers

Kelsey

On 6/21/2018 at 8:08 AM, Rowbrew said:

Haha! Nice one Cap! She'll be right. Ill try and post some pics of how i filter the wort when transfering to my bottling bucket. I have never heard of hops dropping FG readings, so im unsure if you are taking the piss. But i think it wasn't completely finished. The mash temp probably wasn't high enough, starting at 69°C, but it dropped 6°C over 90 mins. Wanted to bottle it today but now im not sure if it is completely finished

Taking the piss...... No, see below.

605ABE13-14BB-4FCB-939C-E2973A949EEE.png

Bottled my Choc dry Irish stout today and tasting amazing. Even if I don’t like stouts.

put the HopCo inspired pale and classic American pale in the FV today. Pitched at 17 and now they are both at 19. Perfect.

looking forward to these two.

Captain

Archived