Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

I have 2 fermenters  of bootmakers pale ale at 18C with 1.5 kg rice malt and .5 kg ldme each, no hops added yet, and euro lager in wine fridge at 10C, with 1.5 kg rice malt, 3 weeks,  all 3 have an extra satchel of paleale and lager yeast added respectively  .  I'm planing to leave lager as is, but not sure if I should drop something in pale ale fermenters?  Is there much flavour in coopers bootmakers pale ale? I can't taste it so far but I know that it comes later on after conditioning.  I have some cluster, cascade, fuggle and chinook. Aiming for floral aroma.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just took a gravity reading on my Enterprising lager brew. After 5 days it's down to 1.020, so I have started the temp rise toward 18°C where it will remain to complete the primary ferment.

I didn't miss the diacetyl rest this time! ?

Damn attention seeking lagers! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm not sure any of those hops give a floral aroma. For the style of beer it is though, Cascade and Chinook would suit it the best, possibly cluster as well. Fuggles is more suited to English ales, but some have used it in American ones with success.

thanks

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

I just took a gravity reading on my Enterprising lager brew. After 5 days it's down to 1.020, so I have started the temp rise toward 18°C where it will remain to complete the primary ferment.

I didn't miss the diacetyl rest this time! ?

Damn attention seeking lagers! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

out of curiosity , why do you keep lager at 18 for that long, for another week or 2?  I've been told long ago and always do my lagers at 10 C for 3 weeks,  then 3 days for D rest and then back to cold crash, bottling and cold lagering.

I'm not sure of Lusty's timeframes but none of my lagers are fermented for 3 weeks. They start at 10 then go up to 18 after 6 days, and remain there until 14 days. FG is normally reached in 8-10 days so there's little point in keeping them at ferment temps for another 11 days. After that 14 days they're dropped to zero for two weeks.

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Don't aim for 1.009 specifically. It just needs to be stable over a couple of days in the expected FG range. It was probably finished a week ago anyway if the temps were warm enough.

Cheers Otto, I do check to see if its stable my range was 1.006 to 1.010, a little higher for my Pilsner that's using a W34/70, I do get a little over excited when I see the yeast in cleanup though ?, specially as I'm trying to get me Pilsner in on Sunday ?, I got home late tonight so will leave checking FG till tomorrow.

Hi ZedT.

4 hours ago, ZedT said:

out of curiosity , why do you keep lager at 18 for that long, for another week or 2?  I've been told long ago and always do my lagers at 10 C for 3 weeks,  then 3 days for D rest and then back to cold crash, bottling and cold lagering.

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm not sure of Lusty's timeframes but none of my lagers are fermented for 3 weeks. They start at 10 then go up to 18 after 6 days, and remain there until 14 days. FG is normally reached in 8-10 days so there's little point in keeping them at ferment temps for another 11 days. After that 14 days they're dropped to zero for two weeks.

+1 to what Otto man said.

In my case the lager will now be kept at 18°C or above until a suitable & stable SG is reached. That should happen well within 2 weeks. The diacetyl rest will obviously happen in conjunction with that timeframe.  The timing of a stable SG will dictate how much longer I leave it at ferment temps to allow the yeast to cleanup off flavours produced during the primary ferment. 

I'm not quite as fastidious as Kelsey is about the clarity of my beers, but do like to give my lagers a full week (minimum) cold conditioning to improve the clarity of the beer prior to kegging/bottling, that is longer than I give my ales.

As this will be a reasonably hoppy lager, I'll also slot a dry hop in once FG is reached.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I was reading some advice on another forum today about lagers which suggested a slow ramp down after the diacetyl rest also aids the yeast in cleaning up, as they can work as low as 4°C.  I'm gonna try this next time I ferment one where it can sit in the keg in the keg fridge for a while after kegging, and do the cold conditioning in the fermenter at 4°C instead of zero, and ramping it down over 5 days or so. It'll be chilled further in the keg fridge anyway.

This current one is due to be kegged on Tuesday, and since I have room in the kegerator, it will go straight in and lager further (disconnected from the tap), probably for up to another 6-7 weeks before I get to drinking it properly, though I'll have a couple of sneaky tasters when the red ale that's being fermented next goes in, as I'll connect both to their taps at this point. Definitely keen to see how the flavour is after potentially 9 weeks of cold storage.

Cheers

Kelsey

Pretty boring this time around, I had read how people had enjoyed Coopers Real Ale, so I decided to put one on. I was planning to use BE3 but couldn't get any from my local supermarket where I normally get it so I used Brew enhancer 20 from Brewcraft 

Don't underestimate the Coopers Real Ale kit Hermoor. It's incredibly versatile & is able to be used as a base for many styles of ale, & if you can believe it, impressively, a freakin' style of lager or two!

A number of Coopers kits have bitten the dust over my time home brewing, but I don't see this one EVER being one of them. ?

It's a terrific kit (IMHO).

Lusty.

Put down a quick and easy apple cider today with my younger sister.

6 litres Woolworths Apple Juice

1 pack of Brigalow Ale Yeast (rehydrated)

Thats it!

Its fermenting on the bench in the shed at about 18°C. Ambient temps are about 15°C. I have it wrapped up so that should keep it around the 17 to 18 mark

OG 1.043

FG 1.000 (approx)

ABV 6% once bottled

ESB 125

My plate chiller smashed it yesterday cooling the wort to 14.5oC, pitched the yeast slurry and set the temp to 20oC. This morning at 9am the brew was still sitting at 14.5 with the single heat mat at the back of the fridge not having enough grunt for the Tassie winter. Connected up another heat mat, set the temp to 22,  and headed off to Launceston. Arrived back at 7pm, temp up to 21.5oC and a beautiful full krausen. Looking forward to this one.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I was going to keg my Ale today then smelt one of my kegs, smells like beer after a clean and sanitize with 5l of pink neo, I've left it soaking this time.  This meant my Pilsner will be a week late unless I sneak off from work early tomorrow ;D.  

8 minutes ago, tja1980 said:

I was going to keg my Ale today then smelt one of my kegs, smells like beer after a clean and sanitize with 5l of pink neo, I've left it soaking this time.  This meant my Pilsner will be a week late unless I sneak off from work early tomorrow ;D.  

Its a little 5l mini keg.  Just on keg posts has anyone seen any protective covers for keg posts?

Just found some ;D

KEG-BL-CAP_800x.jpg?v=1496101840

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Never bothered with protective covers for keg posts. Didn't figure they needed them.

Brewing outside under me pergola, so was more there to stop flies crapping on them.

Archived