Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Kelsey wink

Brew Dudes

My latest Session IPA has reached its terminal gravity at 1.010 giving me my target 3.5%. Interesting that following my recent comment around BeerSmith OG estimates that this one is spot on, used BRY-97 so there's a thing.

Tasting bitter fruit from the SG sample, love it. Going to Dry Hope later in the week with some more Riwaka then back to THBS for some more Riwaka and Rakua. Probably get some Warrior too on account Lusty advised me to and I said I would.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Tasting bitter fruit from the SG sample' date=' love it.[/quote']

Riwaka is a very cool hop. cool

Probably get some Warrior too on account Lusty advised me to and I said I would.

For the type of beer you are brewing & enjoying atm' date=' I think you'll appreciate the subtle things this hop will throw forward as a bittering hop that Magnum will not.

Scottie out of his shell is a very interesting brewer to read about. [img']tongue[/img] wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

G'day all!

So i just transfered my NZ Golden Ale (dubbed: Choice Bro!) into my FV. Here are the stats for this beer. (The full recipe is in the brewday thread)

OG 1.042

FG 1.010 (approx)

IBU 35

Efficiency of 60% crying

I understand that BIAB is less efficient, but i didnt think it would be this low. I was expecting around 70 to 75%. I might look into sparging somehow, maybe dunk sparging?? This should turn out a nice beer anyway, first time using rye too so keen to see what it brings to the final product.

Cheers you lot!

I usually get 75% give or take a couple of % on most batches with BIAB. Usually I find my efficiency drop is due to the gravity not being up to the target rather than the volume being less, although sometimes the volume is lower. A coarse grain crush and about 2-3% acidulated malt (for pale grists at least) improved my efficiency. When I started I was getting 75% as well, then it dropped when I began using a finer crush. I also discovered my hydrometer was reading low by a couple of points which wasn't helping.

Anyway, I've been lazy with this current batch due to the cricket being on so it wasn't kegged on Friday and I will do it tomorrow instead, then straight into the kegerator to carb up and be ready to drink on Thursday night. No biggie really, just a little extra time cold crashing which won't hurt it.

Cheers

Kelsey

My 'Resinator' Pale Ale is only 3 odd days into primary fermentation but has slowed significantly in activity. I think the US-05 starter I made has produced a huge amount of active yeast when I pitched & has helped with a speedy ferment. happy

The yeast is cleaning up after itself as the wort is still very cloudy. I thought this might be an opportune time to add the first of 2 dry hop dumps. So I've added 30gms each of Bravo & Mt. Hood while there is still a bit of turbidity. It's interesting adding dry hops at this point as there is still a fair bit of C02 fizzing around.

I'll likely take a gravity reading in 3-4 days time & then look to add the Simcoe & Columbus dry hop additions, at the same time squeezing & then removing the Bravo & Mt. Hood additions.

The brew looks to be travelling well. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have the Galaxy Pacific Ale v2 that I posted in the in the brewday thread in my FV at the moment. Rather impressed with K-97 yeast. I chose not to build a starter due to the lowish starting gravity of 1.042, so rehydrated the yeast and pitched at 9.45am last Friday. Krausen was there at the 15 hour mark (probably sooner, but I was our drinking beer so didn't get to check at 12hr mark). At the 4.5 day mark the gravity was down to 1.013, so seems like a fast and healthy fermentation.

Also I think I have got it right with a 25g flameout addition of 2017 Galaxy (15.1% AA), and then a 25g cube hop. I chilled the cube as quickly as I could in an ice bath, and I think this preserved the flavour and aroma and didn't convert those Galaxy oils into the harsh bitterness that I have experienced before. Fresh hops certainly helps too.

Dry hopped with 50g Galaxy the other night, will leave in for about 4 days, then cold crash on the weekend for a week before packaging. Promising sample, very aromatic and flavourful and even my wife picked up passionfruit when she smelt the SG sample.

Hi guys.

I have just squeezed & removed the first round of dry hops (Mt. Hood & Bravo) from my resiny pale ale experiment. I have replaced those with the second round of dry hops (Simcoe/Columbus 30gms each & 15gms of Chinook).

I took a gravity sample & was a little surprised that it is higher than the expected FG by approx. 2 points @ 1.014-1.015. It might be from all the hop matter in there! tonguew00t

I had a swig of the hydro sample. Is it resiny? You bet your backside it's resiny! Whether I've got the balances right though won't be known until I cold crash, keg & carb it. Will likely begin that process this coming Thursday.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I just took a hydro sample of my Golden Ale and its sitting at 1.010' date=' so i threw my dry hops in. 50g Riwaka and 50g Kohatu. Should turn out pretty nice i reckon[/quote']

That's two of my favourite hops right there! Quite a generous (and tasty) dry-hop for a Golden. I've actually opted to not dry hop my golds... I save it for my NZPA's, speaking of which:

Riwaka Supernova

(Partial Mash)

1.70 kg Coopers (OS) Lager 42.5 %

1.60 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt 40.0 %

400g Gladfield Supernova Malt 10.0 %

300g Sugar 7.5 %

20g Waimea [16.50 %] - Boil 12 min

25g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Steep 45 min

75 g Riwaka - Dry Hop 3.0 Days

5.00 g Gypsum

Nottingham

My Koma Rakau

The rinsed BRY-97 was up and going in under 18 hours and now is absolutely smashing through this brew.

I pitched 500ml of rinsed slurry and I've got double that left in the fridge and can send it to you if you want @Lusty.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

...I pitched 500ml of rinsed slurry and I've got double that left in the fridge and can send it to you if you want @Lusty.

Please do Scottie' date=' & I'll put it where it belongs.....in a bin! [img']tongue[/img] lol

Damn BRY yeast! pinched

Good luck with your Koma Rakau. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Created an NEIPA on Saturday. Having tried a few examples of the style (in particular the Bubble & Squeak from Sauce Brewing) i really wanted to have a go myself.

Brewday all went well and it's fermenting as we speak. It was also a good chance to try the new Coopers Ale malt from their new malting plant. Good value at $3.50 a kg at Beerbelly and if it all goes well will become my standard go to ale malt.

My god it smells so fruity! And check out how murky it looks ! biggrin

6.20 kg Coopers Premium Ale Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 82.7 %

1.30 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 2 17.3 %

10.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.4 IBUs

0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 4 -

25.00 g Citra [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 8.5 IBUs

25.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 9.6 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 7.1 IBUs

25.00 g Citra [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 8 2.5 IBUs

25.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 9 2.8 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min Hop 10 2.1 IBUs

1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -

25.00 g Citra [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Citra [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Mosaic [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %

Bitterness: 44.1 IBUs

Est Color: 10.0 EBC

1515975456_73_520.jpg

That looks bloody horrid lol hopefully it tastes good once in the glass though.

My first batch is in the fermenter for 2018 now, being the pale ale I brewed with my home grown Cascade flowers. The wort was actually brewed in December so I'm counting it as a 2017 brew but obviously 2018 ferment and package.

The bitterness was a bit of a stab in the dark not knowing the AA% of the hops. I just made a slightly educated guess at them being around 5%, based on some advice somewhere that suggested to use a figure at the low end of the AA range quoted for the commercially grown ones.

Ended up with 25L into the fermenter as planned although the OG was a couple of points low at 1.049 instead of 1.051, giving me a total efficiency of 72.3%. I'm sure that won't really affect the outcome other than the ABV content.

Importantly, I'm hitting the mash efficiency pretty well bang on every time and achieving my target pre-boil SG and volume (sometimes getting a higher pre-boil SG), so I don't really know why it keeps falling short on the post-boil SG. The number of points it boils off over the 75 minutes seems to vary from brew to brew for some reason. The last pale ale I did it boiled off nearly 8 points, but this time it was only just over 6 points. Same pre-boil wort SG and volume (& same grist), same boil length. Maybe it's because I'm brewing outside now and the weather conditions are affecting it. It's not something that is affecting the quality of my beers at all but it is a bit annoying that the boil off isn't consistent from batch to batch.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how this brew turns out once the fermentation is finished, and once it gets on tap.

Cheers

Kelsey

Xenon, nice recipe and three of my favourite aroma hops in your recipe! I too am a fan of the style. I think I have tried Sauce's Bubble n Squeak NEIPA on a night at The Noble Hops in Redfern... however I cannot remember because it was a night of 6 or 7 NEIPAs and the night is a little hazy (boom tish!)

I really like Mornington brewery's take on the NEIPA, and Modus Operandi too. I will brew one this year. Probably when I do a bulk order from Yakima Valley hops so can afford to put in 400-500g of hops in a single batch.

Look foward to hearing hot it turns out and it might just inspire me to bring it forward in my "To Brew" list. Will have to get my hands on that London Ale III yeast too. Yum. Juicy, slick, hoppy goodness right there.

That looks bloody horrid lol hopefully it tastes good once in the glass though.

It's just yeast actively fermenting you pussy! tonguelol I salivate when I see my fermenter look like that during actively fermenting a pale ale! biggrin

We really need to move you up a grade from your SNPA clone recipes so you can taste what is about these days. You're missing out on the ability to brew some of these incredible beers in this area now mate. rightful

I bought myself a six-pack of SNPA the other week. It's still a nice beer' date=' but pales in comparison (excuse the pun) to many of the newer commercially developed pale ales out there on the market by a long way (IMHO).

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

I do like the New England IPA. Had one tonight after doing a bit of concreting. This one was from a local brewer the Eleventh Order just across the river.

I should get around to brewing one of these as well.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I've never seen mine look that murky during fermentation, but I also don't have a clear fermenter like that, so maybe it's a bit harder to see it tongue.

In any case, I have plans to experiment with different hops, I'm just using what I have in the freezer first because storage space is a premium now. I don't brew a lot of SNPA clones either.

I've yet to taste a NEIPA, and I have to admit the appearance of them is a big turn off; I can't understand why anyone would want to deliberately brew a beer that looks like it was dredged up from the bottom of a muddy river. I can understand a bit of natural haze from being unfiltered and unfined, but deliberately making it look like mud is where I draw the line.

I'm sure I can brew some equally tasty ales without having to resort to them looking like that. wink

Cheers

Kelsey

I've yet to taste a NEIPA' date=' and I have to admit the appearance of them is a big turn off; I can't understand why anyone would want to deliberately brew a beer that looks like it was dredged up from the bottom of a muddy river. I can understand a bit of natural haze from being unfiltered and unfined, but deliberately making it look like mud is where I draw the line.[/quote']

+1

A bit of haze is fine, but beyond that I'm with you on that one.

I'm sure I can brew some equally tasty ales without having to resort to them looking like that. wink

You can' date=' & I am atm. [img']biggrin[/img]

I ended up hurling 335gms of hops in my most recent pale ale.

That's almost as much as one of your Saaz Pilsners! tonguelol

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've yet to taste a NEIPA' date=' and I have to admit the appearance of them is a big turn off; I can't understand why anyone would want to deliberately brew a beer that looks like it was dredged up from the bottom of a muddy river. [/quote']

Where are your blokes getting your NEIPAs from? I have tried several from local microbrewers and they don't look anything like this description.

As for the look in the Xenon's FV I have had many Pale Ales look like this during fermentation, in fact going back several years I posted a side by side comparison, two DIY beers same recipe, 1 week apart one had cleared and one looked exactly like Xenon's. Too bad I post that pic using Image Shack and I no longer have free access.

NEIPAs that I've tried may be hazy but no more than a Coopers Pale Ale that's been rolled and certainly not as hazy or murky as the Coopers Session Ale.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I've yet to taste a NEIPA' date=' and I have to admit the appearance of them is a big turn off; I can't understand why anyone would want to deliberately brew a beer that looks like it was dredged up from the bottom of a muddy river. I can understand a bit of natural haze from being unfiltered and unfined, but deliberately making it look like mud is where I draw the line.

[/quote']

Come on Kelsey, live a little! At least try an NEIPA before you mock them!

You may well not like them as IIRC, you like a firm bitterness in your beers. You won't get that, or your shouldn't if it is brewed to style.

Your brews may just be as tasty, but your clear beers will not have the crazy over-the-top hop aroma and flavour, nor the juicy and slick mouthfeel of a NEIPA.

Try one and please let us know your thoughts.

Archived