Coopers Community

12 months of brewing

RepSpec

Hey guys

For those who dont know, last year for my 30th, a group of my poker friends got me the coopers DIY kit and a few extra bits and pieces. A great mate in that group also brewed and i had enjoyed some of his beer.

I had started to enjoy craft style beers such as Stone n wood pacific ale and always been a massive fan of the Bridge road Pale ale.

So with that in mind i started on a brewing journey.

The first was the Coopers pale ale with a BE2, and with the help of my mate in 2 weeks it was bottled (albiet at 300g dextrose bulk prime!)...this was a nice drop, but not quite what i had in mind from a pale ale view...

Then i made the Coopers larger and BE2 because i had the can and BE2 there...not a great beer, but could have been the higher temps

Next was the Coopers Draught with a BE1 that came with it...all my non craft beer drinking friends loved it...i didnt that much...but still enjoyed the process.

So with that i mind...i decided to take the plunge and try hops! That was a silly move...as i now struggle to enjoy "mega swill" beer. *shakes my fist at all you hop heads here hahaha

My 4th brew was the Coopers pacific summer ale (in the recipes page).

What a stressful brew that was...i must have looked like a royal goose to my missus as i was running backwards and forwards around the kitchen, hanging my head over the pot of boiling hops! I was hooked! And it turned out to be a great beer.

Next was a Galaxy pale ale... it was ok, but a bit malty after using 1.5kg LDM and not a lot of hops

My tastes turned towards hoppier beers so i then made the Hop slam IPA AU version from the recipes...but used amarillo instead of the suggested hops...wow what a beer...

Next was an all extract S&W clone, using someones recipe on here...tweaked a bit...and again a winner.

Brew 8 was my favourite and a favourite of others on here...it was a 4 hop brew i named "Lotso". This went so well that i had someone on here (mikes15) from NZ brewed my own beer! To say i was chuffed was an understatement!

Brew 9 was a "freezer cleanout" of all my hops...similar style to Lotso but with more of a fruitier hit...again a winner with friends and family.

Next brew i couldnt decided what to try, when coopers released their Session Ale...after looking at the tasting notes...(and been from vic they hadnt released it here yet) i thought why not. So i made a brew based only on the tasting notes, with a hop (melba) i had never seen/tasted. Wow...what a spicy hit from it and a great summer ale.

Then it happened...my first stuff up... My brew fridge died mid brew and i had to swap one out...but all turned out ok...until i went to brew the next brew.

I had set out to brew and when i went to make the beer on brew day...no hops i wanted...so had to try something else...then it turned out lower OG than i hoped, so i added some dex last minute...Wow...what a lucky save... this brew was a Extract summer ale and has turned out to be a real ripper. Nice and easy to drink!

Last brew (i know...a huge post) has been a Tower 10ish IPA...just hasnt quite hit the flavor i dont think, but still very nice.

So...after all that...i would like to thank everyone on here for all there help from answering silly questions, to helping with more complex brews! Without all your knowledge, id probably still be brewing in the laundry, at high temps, making bottle bombs and just beer. Not BEER!!!

Heres to the next 12 months of brewing!

Thanks

Brendan (repspec)

Archived