Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

What type of flavours and aromas did you get from this cracker of a brew?

Beer. Brewed 15/06/17. Would have been nice though.

I'd take the technique on board and use what hops you want to achieve the flavour you are after.

You know, some fruit, spice, resin whatever.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just used Ben's flameout and 20 min steep technique on this blonde ale:

Stepping to the A.M

1.7 kg blackrock ultra light lme

800g dry malt extract light

250g dextrose

250g carapils

2 packets of m44 yeast. I rehydrated a package and while pouring it in I sneezed, maybe half got in, so I pitched a 2nd pack. Worse case it will strip the little malt flavor there is, but I expect the hops to still shine.

25g azzacca at flameout 20 min steep

30g mosaic at flameout 20 min steep

50g of azzaca after the 20 min steep and steeped for 15 min along with 45g of mosaic

I will dry hop the remainder of 25g of each for 3 or 4 days at end of fermentation.

OG 1.044 IBUS 27.6. 10l boil with dry malt and dextrose 22l ferment.

Cheers Ben,

Norris

Pale Ale today

3 kg M/O

.5 kg Munich

.3 kg Wheat malt

.2 kg Light crystal

.1 kg Acid malt

5 g Warrior FWH 60 min

12g Simcoe + 15g Amarillo Flameout 20 min steep

15g Amarillo + 13g Fortnight cubed @85 deg

1272 yeast

Trying flameout instead of 10min addition, I hope I'm not too far off the track ? unsure

Guys,

Been thinking about something that's not a beez neez, its a wip, my sister has a few bee hives up in the hills here in Perth, so I've been waiting for some honey ;D so I thought a floral, spicy and sweet beer with a bit of a bitter sting.

1 x 1.7kg LME

1 x 0.500kg DME

1 x 0.500kg Dextrose

25g Ella Pellets @ 30 mins

25g Ella Pellets @ 10 mins

Boil Time: 30 minutes

Boil Size: 11.5 Liters

Batch: 23 Liters

OG: 1.038

FG: 1.005

ABV: 4.32%

IBU: 40.32

The honey I need to Pasteurize and its not being added at the boil stage much rather the fermentation stage at the peak of primary, so this I want to be around the same gravity as the beer, just don't know what to pair it with, lager/pale/ale? Could I make it grassy as well?

Its as I say a work in progress ;D

Tristan

I know it's getting late in the year but I'm almost out of stout so I decided to go with PB's Toucan Stout, love that foam volcano! I'm glad that I reduced the initial volume. By reducing the initial volume then adding it later will that give me a false OG?

Pale Ale today

3 kg M/O

.5 kg Munich

.3 kg Wheat malt

.2 kg Light crystal

.1 kg Acid malt

5 g Warrior FWH 60 min

12g Simcoe + 15g Amarillo Flameout 20 min steep

15g Amarillo + 13g Fortnight cubed @85 deg

1272 yeast

Trying flameout instead of 10min addition' date=' I hope I'm not too far off the track ? [img']unsure[/img]

Doesn't sound like a lot of hops for a pale ale... I'm usually adding about double that for the late/flameout/cube additions.

I have another brew day planned for the Easter weekend, likely on Saturday this year. I've decided to have another crack at an English brown ale/dark ale type thing in the hope that it turns out a lot nicer than the one I did a few years ago. I used the Northern English brown ale style guide to construct this recipe, with the color and bitterness being up the higher end of the scales and the OG an ABV closer to the middle. I'm mashing this one low so it doesn't end up ridiculously malty, considering the yeast also brings out the malt a bit more as well. I'm also estimating the amount of hops I have... if I don't quite have the 50g of Fuggles then I'll just top up the bitterness with some Magnum or something.

25L batch based on 75% brewhouse efficiency

Water and Treatment

36.00 l Brisbane Water (Dark Ales) Water 1 -

4.00 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.64 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

0.30 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

Grains

4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC) Grain 5 79.2 %

0.300 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 6 5.9 %

0.200 kg Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 7 4.0 %

0.200 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1100.0 EBC) Grain 8 4.0 %

0.200 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 9 4.0 %

0.150 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 10 3.0 %

Mashed at 64C for 70 minutes, raised to 72C for 20 minutes, mash out at 78C for 10 minutes

Hops

20.00 g Fuggle [5.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 11 12.0 IBUs

30.00 g Fuggle [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12 15.6 IBUs

75 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale 12th generation fermented at 19C.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0469 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0113 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

Bitterness: 27.6 IBUs

Est Color: 40.8 EBC

I brewed a low gravity, hop burst pale ale yesterday evening for something very different from my recent batches.

11 litres in the fermenter, 1.038 og, 25 ibu, all grain no sparge (3V).

2kg Voyager Atlas malt

250g Voyager Veloria malt

500g BestMalz wheat malt

6g Enigma (15.9% AA) @15 mins

12g Enigma @5 mins

8g Galaxy (also 15.9%AA) @5 mins

12g Enigma @flameout (10 minute steep)

8g Galaxy @flameout (10 minute steep)

18g Enigma dry hop

12g Galaxy dry hop

I just pitched some Coopers commercial ale yeast slurry at 21C.

I don't see this beer aging well at all, so will be drinking up once it is carbonated. Will it be thin hop water? We'll see.

Cheers,

John

...I just pitched some Coopers commercial ale yeast slurry at 21C.

Nice temp for this yeast if you want the ester profile to present under home brewing conditions (IMHO).

...Will it be thin hop water? We'll see.

Are you being coy with us John? tongue

Your levels look good. It should make for a nice beer.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Enigma if you can notice it past the Galaxy influence. I feel it is the closest hop I've found to Nelson Sauvin in terms of flavours/aromas. If I couldn't source Nelson Sauvin' date=' Enigma is probably the hop I would purchase in place of it.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.[/size']

Cheers Lusty, it is now fermenting at 18C (I brought it down from 21C fairly quickly last night). I'll hold it under 20C until this evening and then let it free rise to get decent attenuation. I pitched a fair bit of yeast (approx 200ml slurry) so it had a nice krausen at 18C early this morning and should ferment out pretty quickly. Aiming for a quick, fairly clean ferment with just a touch more character than something like US-05.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on Enigma. It certainly smelt great in the kettle! I have plenty of Nelson in the freezer too, so will be using that in brews to come and will be able to compare first hand.

Cheers,

John

Brewing my brown/dark ale batch from the previous page today, just about to write the recipe in my notebook, or at least the grain bill and water treatment bits (can write the rest down once the grains are mashing tongue) and go and start doing the water treatment and then heating up the strike water in the urn. I hope this turns out better than my last attempt a few years back.

Guys' date='

Been thinking about something that's not a beez neez, its a wip, my sister has a few bee hives up in the hills here in Perth, so I've been waiting for some honey ;D so I thought a floral, spicy and sweet beer with a bit of a bitter sting.

1 x 1.7kg LME

1 x 0.500kg DME

1 x 0.500kg Dextrose

25g Ella Pellets @ 30 mins

25g Ella Pellets @ 10 mins

Boil Time: 30 minutes

Boil Size: 11.5 Liters

Batch: 23 Liters

OG: 1.038

FG: 1.005

ABV: 4.32%

IBU: 40.32

The honey I need to Pasteurize and its not being added at the boil stage much rather the fermentation stage at the peak of primary, so this I want to be around the same gravity as the beer, just don't know what to pair it with, lager/pale/ale? Could I make it grassy as well?

Its as I say a work in progress ;D

Tristan[/quote']

Hi Tristan. How much honey are you adding? I would not add dextrose if you are also adding honey, especially if you want something with the FG of beer. I'd drop the dextrose and up the DME to 1kg.

Not sure what you mean when you ask "what to pair it with, lager/pale/ale?" Do you mean yeast?

Fuggle hops might make it grassy, near the end of the boil, and DH. Not sure how well Fuggle would pair with Ella. My guess is, not very well.

Cheers,

Christina.

I put down the pale ale from above just now. I followed Lusty's advice and did

Black rock ultra 1.7kg

500g light dry malt

250g dextrose

250g carapils steeped for 30 min.

I then steeped 25g of Vic Secret and Mosaic for 30 min at 80c in sweet wort in a separate pot

15g of warrior at 30 minutes in 4.5 liters of wort' date=' a different pot

Then at flameout 25g of each steeped for 30min.

MJ M44 yeast pitched at 19c rehydrated

I think it will be around 24ibus or so.

I will toss in 25g of each dry hop in on day 10 or I might keg hop but unsure about grassiness or if it is better than just a normal dry hop. I guess only one way to know.

I am thinking the warrior will give off some pine to go with the fruity Vic Secret and whatever Mosaic brings to the table. Excited to try this.

Norris[/quote']

Hi Norris. Not sure you are aware, and if you are that is fine, but the Black Rock Ultra has maltose syrup in it. The labelling is confusing because it says, "made from 100% two row malted barley and maltose syrup." The key word in that sentence is "and," which means some of the contents of the can are malted barley extract, and the rest is maltose syrup. Maltose sounds like it is made from malted barley, but it might not be. Maltose is just two glucose molecule joined together...Maltose syrup can be made from a variety of starches, most commonly corn. Best to think of it as sugar syrup; it does not contain nitrogen, or or other nutrition for the yeast.

You'd be better of with Black Rock's "Light" extract, or Coopers Light LME, which are actually 100% malted barley.

Cheers,

Christina.

The brew day for the brown/dark ale went well, but I did miss the OG again even though the pre-boil measurements were on point. It was only one point off the target though so not really a big deal. Might just have to muck around in Beersmith with the equipment profile. The urn was plugged straight into the wall this time and I did get a better boil off rate than when it's running through an extension lead as headmaster eluded to on another thread recently. Got another brew day happening this weekend, a pale ale trying out one of the NZ hops I recently bought.

Cheers

Kelsey

Brewed a Hefeweizen today

1.8kg Pilsner

1.8kg Wheat

90 min mash at 65C

20g Hallertau 60 mins

17 litres

Plan on fermenting with WLP300. I think i might try a slightly lower temp, at around 20C, just to see if i can get some banana. This will be my first all grain hefe and i hope that makes a difference in getting this elusive banana flavour

Cheers!

I kegged the stepping to the A.M ale on Sunday and tried one today, pretty early but I am getting good bitterness, nothing over the top but well balanced. Nice fruity notes, I am getting peach and maybe blueberry, something not citrusy. Very nice. It is still pretty murky, I did not use gelatin, just going to let the cold do its thing. It was almost like I had some juice mixed in with the beer. I will let this sit for a 3 to 4 more day to clear out more and to meld together a little more.

Ben this is a great technique and I will continue to use it. Cannot wait to hear how Lusty's FWH version went.

Cheers,

Norris

Hi Norris.

I kegged the stepping to the A.M ale on Sunday and tried one today' date=' pretty early but I am getting good bitterness, nothing over the top but well balanced. Nice fruity notes, I am getting peach and maybe blueberry, something not citrusy. Very nice. It is still pretty murky, I did not use gelatin, just going to let the cold do its thing. It was almost like I had some juice mixed in with the beer. I will let this sit for a 3 to 4 more day to clear out more and to meld together a little more.[/quote']

I'm glad the beer appears to have hit some marks you are looking for. I don't know Azzaca, but Mosaic can certainly throw blueberry-like aromas & flavours from my experiences with it. So much so that I used it as an aroma hop in a Blueberry infused Porter I made a few years ago.

Ben this is a great technique and I will continue to use it. Cannot wait to hear how Lusty's FWH version went.

Ben makes some terrific beers so I'm not surprised the technique he offered has worked for you. I can't wait to try my recent FWH beer too. I was cleaning the kegs & beerlines over the long weekend & just as I was finishing the 2nd keg I watched as the gas bottle pressure needle dropped to zero! pinched Easter long weekend' date=' no homebrew shops or vendors of gas refills open! Doh!! [img']pinched[/img]

I'll get the tank refilled Thursday & fast carb it up then. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I brewed a low gravity' date=' hop burst pale ale yesterday evening for something very different from my recent batches.[/quote']

I bottled this up tonight. It has a lovely malt character, mild bitterness and a nice lifted hop aroma. I get the usual hefty dose of passionfruit from the Galaxy, but there is something extra which must be the Enigma. Promising, but see how it tastes when it's carbonated.

Cheers,

John

Brewing again tomorrow, this time an American pale ale but trying out the first of the NZ hops I bought recently, being Rakau. I'm gonna do a pale ale with each of them by itself first before trying them in combinations.

Batch Size: 25.5L, Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%

Water and Treatment

36.00 l Brisbane Water (APA) Water 1 -

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

3.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

2.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

Grains

4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC) Grain 5 80.8 %

0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 6 10.1 %

0.300 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 7 6.1 %

0.150 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 3.0 %

Mash at 67C for 70 minutes, 72C for 15 minutes, 78C mash out

Hops

13.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) {10.50 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 15.1 IBUs

25.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) {10.50 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 9.1 IBUs

25.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) {10.50 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 11 7.6 IBUs

25.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) {10.50 %} - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 12 2.5 IBUs

75 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II fermented at 18C.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0455 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0110 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.5 %

Bitterness: 34.4 IBUs

Est Color: 15.3 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived