Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

Tomorrow’s a brew day, going to do a toned down version on Benny’s big red rye ipa

Not so Bid Red Rye

25l batch Biab

OG: 1.050. FG: 1.009

3.8khPale malt Barrett Burston

1kg Munich 1

0.1kg Acid

0.4kg Black malt

0.7kg Rye

0.25kg Cararoma

10g FWA

Steep 15mins

30g Centennial

30g Amarillo

30g Nelson

30g each dry hopped

Centennial, Amarillo, Nelson

Wyeast 1450

Hopefully turns out alright.

Cheers,

Captain

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Monday night I brewed up 11 litres of a stout for winter.

Looks tops John.

Tomorrow’s a brew day' date=' going to do a toned down version on Benny’s big red rye ipa

[/quote']

Looks super mate. Phil did a little red too a while ago.

Tomorrow’s a brew day' date=' going to do a toned down version on Benny’s big red rye ipa

[/quote']

Looks super mate. Phil did a little red too a while ago.

Yeah right, ok. Hope Phil’s turned out alright too.

Trying very hard to get the wife to drink my home brew. She liked the big red but too big for her.

Everyone that come round here loved the big red rye but could only have one or two as they were driving. I thought hmm maybe something a little less “punch you in the face”.

Either way I hope the same flavours pop through in a more subtle version. I’ve cut a little back on the black malt too to get it a little less dark red and more into the lighter red hues.

Oh well it’s only beer.

Cheers

Captain

APA time. No dry hopping maybe, dunno, I can achieve a good hoppy beer without it I think.

Recipe: APA

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.059 SG

Estimated Color: 16.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 58.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 69.6 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 17.4 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 3 8.7 %

0.25 kg Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 %

25.00 g Super Pride [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 5 36.5 IBUs

25.00 g Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 6 6.4 IBUs

25.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 7 6.8 IBUs

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 8 8.3 IBUs

San Diego Super Yeast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks tops John.

Cheers Ben! I took a gravity sample last night ... just curious to see how it was shaping up. After 3 days of fermentation the roast character is looking awesome, lots of dark chocolate, coffee and a hint of ash. I find you want the roast a bit over the top at this stage of the ferment as it mellows a fair bit by the time the beer is ready to drink a few weeks later. The gravity had dropped to 1.030, so progressing well.

Cheers,

John

Hi John. smile

My apologies for no comments to numerous interesting posts of yours lately. innocent

Seriously envious of your cumquat (Saison I think?) beer. Very cool

Looks tops John.

Cheers Ben! I took a gravity sample last night ... just curious to see how it was shaping up. After 3 days of fermentation the roast character is looking awesome' date=' lots of dark chocolate, coffee and a hint of ash. I find you want the roast a bit over the top at this stage of the ferment as it mellows a fair bit by the time the beer is ready to drink a few weeks later. The gravity had dropped to 1.030, so progressing well.[/quote']

I also wanted to compliment you on your 1.7kg kit based brews offered up with the little 'George' fermenter. The beers end up very different than they would at full volume, but your adaptions look to produce really nice beers.

You're certainly helping to bridge a gap that apparently Coopers are not currently willing to do. (No disrespect meant).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6OXH_LnWrrLbGvYdBNuW26m5hQKNIksT4n-u-drkiBWYQtTJA

Good onya John! smile

Lusty.

I bottled my saison during the week and I didn't have a cube ready so FV is clean, dry and empty (blasphemy!). I brewed today on my day off.

Recipe: Riwaka Pilsner

Brewer: Jools

Asst Brewer: Elsie

Style: German Pils

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

0.48 Items Campden Tablet (Potassium Metabisulfate) Water Agent 1 -

2.30 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (5.0 EBC) Grain 2 48.5 %

2.30 kg Gladfield Pilsner Malt (3.8 EBC) Grain 3 48.5 %

0.14 kg BEST Wheat Malt (BESTMALZ) (4.8 EBC) Grain 4 2.9 %

18.50 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - First Wort 60. Hop 5 25.7 IBUs

0.48 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -

35.50 g Riwaka [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 7.5 IBUs

32.00 g Riwaka [5.00 %] - Cube Hop 10.0 Hop 8 3.1 IBUs

I had a few bittering hops to choose from, but wanted it to be a NZ pilsner, hop-wise anyway. I had originally intended to brew a single-hop NZ pils using Riwaka, but had reservations due to to med-high co-humulone content of the hop. The other NZ hops I had in the freezer were NZ Cascade and Nelson Sauvin. I didn't want the citrus of Cascade to overpower the Riwaka, so went for the Nelson. And since I was using my expensive and hard to obtain Nelson Sauvin, I thought I had better FWH it to get some of the flavour characteristics from the 18.5g I was using.

Mu efficiency ended up a bit lower than expected (1.043 vs an estimated 1.050). I have been playing around with the crush on my mill and I went too coarse this time. I can see that the grains are not cracked enough.

Regardless of this, the whirlpool sample I took seems promising. Very light and super clear. Will ferment this in a few days after I build up a solid starter.

Yeast probably M76 Bavarian Lager because I have it on hand in the fridge. Will harvest the yeast cake for a future lager brew too - possibly a Japanese Rice Lager.

Thanks for your kind words Lusty, much appreciated. I'm always up for a challenge, so tweaking these small batch recipes is right up my alley. They are a work in progress... Last night I sampled my American Brown and it is really tasty, but edging towards an American Porter. Went a little bit far with the chocolate malt in that one!

Hopefully my playing around is of some use to others with their very own George!

Cheers,

John

APA time. No dry hopping maybe' date=' dunno, I can achieve a good hoppy beer without it I think.[/quote']

Flavour-wise you can, aroma-wise you can't (IMHO).

Recipe: APA

Style: American Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.059 SG

Estimated Color: 16.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 58.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.00 kg Pale Malt' date=' Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 69.6 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 17.4 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 3 8.7 %

0.25 kg Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 %

25.00 g Super Pride [13.90 %'] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 5 36.5 IBUs

25.00 g Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 6 6.4 IBUs

25.00 g Centennial [9.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 7 6.8 IBUs

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [11.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 8 8.3 IBUs

San Diego Super Yeast

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd say this is more like an XPA than an APA. The 58.0 IBU can be deceptive as a number, but coupled with a 1.059 OG it's not really in APA territory.

Good luck with your first XPA Benny! wink (It is a nice zone)

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'd say this is more like an XPA than an APA. The 58.0 IBU can be deceptive as a number' date=' but coupled with a 1.059 OG it's not really in APA territory.

Good luck with your first XPA Benny! [img']wink[/img] (It is a nice zone)

It's more like an IPA really....

I'd say this is more like an XPA than an APA. The 58.0 IBU can be deceptive as a number' date=' but coupled with a 1.059 OG it's not really in APA territory.

Good luck with your first XPA Benny! [img']wink[/img] (It is a nice zone)

It's more like an IPA really....

You're right. I was just being kind. tongue

Brew day! happy

A new technique to try, & testing out a couple of other theories. cool

FWH30 Pale Ale:

Black Rock Light Liquid Malt extract 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Coopers Ale Malt grain 500gms

Aromatic Malt grain 300gms

Wheat Malt grain 200gms

Joe White Amber Malt grain 100gms

Ahtanum 35gms @ FWH(30)

Cascade 30gms @ 20mins

Centennial 20gms @ 5mins

Chinook 20gms @ flameout

Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook 20gms each dry hopped

Rehydrated US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.050

FG = approx. 1.011-1.014

EBC = 13.1

IBU = approx. 35

ABV = approx. 4.8%

The "FWH(30)" has the mash wort poured over the Ahtanum hops & steeped for 20mins. This is then brought to the boil & the rest of the additions are added for no more than a 30 minute boil. The Cascade addition @ 20mins is there more as a safety net as I'm unsure of how much bitterness will be produced by the FWH(30) addition at this point. The eventual aim is to hopefully remove all hop additions between FWH(30) & flameout, & do just one big dump addition @ FWH(30) combined only with something like a post boil steep addition.

Baby steps first though. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

The eventual aim is to hopefully remove all hop additions between FWH(30) & flameout' date=' & do just one big dump addition @ FWH(30) combined only with something like a post boil steep addition.

[/quote']

Sounds similar..... biggrin

The eventual aim is to hopefully remove all hop additions between FWH(30) & flameout' date=' & do just one big dump addition @ FWH(30) combined only with something like a post boil steep addition.[/quote']

Sounds similar..... biggrin

Really? I hadn't noticed. whistling Slight difference here though.

In a nutshell I'm aiming to see if there is any benefit by steeping hops prior to boiling them even in a short boil to see if further flavour/aroma can be retained for longer periods without hurting the ability to bitter the beer by any substantial margin.

I don't know of anyone (commercial or otherwise) that is using this approach. They just late boil & then steep. The question I'm asking myself is potentially, what is lost? unsure

If the current brew turns out OK & I can see some merit in the ideal, it'll be balls & all next brew. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

In a nutshell I'm aiming to see if there is any benefit by steeping hops prior to boiling them even in a short boil to see if further flavour/aroma can be retained for longer periods without hurting the ability to bitter the beer by any substantial margin.

top stuff!

Well Lusty, I like FWH because you don't get the same risk of a boilover as with a 'standard' bittering addition by dumping your bittering addition into already-boiling wort. All the recent experiments I have read about / listened to show that all you get from a FWH addition is a little more bitterness than a 'standard' bittering addition. I'm very surprised to hear about the amount of hop flavour you got from a FWH addition in that batch years ago.

For hoppy beers, I personally like to do FWH / 5 minute / flameout / dry hop as appropriate. I don't get much from anything earlier than 5 minutes in the boil, so feel it is a slight waste of hops. But I do think it would be an interesting experiment to do a beer with only a 15 or 20 minute addition to see what you get in terms of bitterness and hop flavour.

Cheers,

John

Hi John.

Well Lusty' date=' I like FWH because you don't get the same risk of a boilover as with a 'standard' bittering addition by dumping your bittering addition into already-boiling wort.[/quote']

Yesterday when mine came to the boil it looked like a giant hop pie! lol There was a thick green crust of hops & break material that covered the surface. When the boil broke through it all puffed up & was creamy & oozy & I just wanted to eat it! lol

All the recent experiments I have read about / listened to show that all you get from a FWH addition is a little more bitterness than a 'standard' bittering addition.

I think that is simply a spin-off caused by the procedure & the fact the hops spend slightly longer at isomerisation temperatures going from the steep to the boil' date=' & nothing more than that. You would probably achieve the same extra bitterness if you added a standard hop addition & boiled for 75-80mins rather than 60mins.

I'm very surprised to hear about the amount of hop flavour you got from a FWH addition in that batch years ago.

If all FWH offered was smoother bitterness, I wouldn't bother using the technique. I'd just pick a low co-humulone hop & boil for 60mins.

When I first starting reading & learning about FWH'ing, articles & comments by guys such as Denny Conn & John Palmer spoke of retaining flavour by releasing the oils at temperatures where they will not be isomerised in the boil. Denny in particular spoke of this addition resembling a typical 20 minute addition in the boil in terms of the smoother bitterness & flavour that was produced. The smoother bitterness does have limitations that I have tested to find out, but the flavour retaining aspect I concur with.

The isolation cascade FWH brew I did years ago, was the only way I could prove to myself what was going on.

For hoppy beers' date=' I personally like to do FWH / 5 minute / flameout / dry hop as appropriate. I don't get much from anything earlier than 5 minutes in the boil, so feel it is a slight waste of hops.[/quote']

If you could add just one hop addition & achieve all the hop flavour & bitterness you wanted, would you do it? unsure

But I do think it would be an interesting experiment to do a beer with only a 15 or 20 minute addition to see what you get in terms of bitterness and hop flavour.

Ben 10 should be able to point you to some of the recipes he's already done following a late boil/whirpool regime & give you some honest feedback on those beers. wink

Cheers & good brewing' date='

Lusty.[/size']

What are you doing to cause hop additions to result in near boilovers? Whenever I've added hops to already boiling wort, it hardly does anything to it. They simply break up and roll around in the boil.

Given Lusty's experience with that FWH only brew, I'm interested to try this for myself on a batch at some stage and see if I get the same sort of results. I might try it either on one of these German lagers, or on a pale ale once I'm done testing out these new hops I have to try.

Cheers

Kelsey

Ben 10 should be able to point you to some of the recipes he's already done following a late boil/whirpool regime & give you some honest feedback on those beers. wink

I have made beers with flameout as the ONLY way of adding bitterness and it works well for a mellow bitterness.

I have made beers with flameout as the ONLY way of adding bitterness and it works well for a mellow bitterness.

Ben would you mind sharing one or 2 of these recipes? Hopefully something pale aley?

Cheers,

Norris

Ben would you mind sharing one or 2 of these recipes? Hopefully something pale aley?

Cheers' date='

Norris[/quote']

Found one. The hop additions with 0 ibu were added after 20 minutes of the heat being turned off.

If that makes sense?

Recipe: A Lighter Shade of Pale

Style: Blonde Ale

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Post Boil Volume: 26.69 l

Bottling Volume: 21.60 l

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG

Estimated Color: 10.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 27.1 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 85.4 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 77.8 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 22.2 %

30.00 g Hull Melon [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0 Hop 3 0.0 IBUs

30.00 g Hull Melon [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 4 5.3 IBUs

20.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 5 5.3 IBUs

20.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 3.5 IBUs

20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.50 %] - Stee Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [6.50 %] - Stee Hop 10 4.1 IBUs

20.00 g Fortnight [13.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2 Hop 11 8.9 IBUs

20.00 g Fortnight [13.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0 Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Archived