Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I split a OS Real Ale kit n kilo in half into two fermenters.  Firstly to see what the basic kits tastes like and secondly to jazz it up a bit for comparison.

Each fermenter has half of:

1.7kg OS Real Ale

1kg Brew Enhancer 1

500g Light Dry Malt

200g Light Crystal Malt grains

Coopers Commercial Yeast (Harvested from the 2018 Vintage Ale ROTM I bottled last week)

The jazzed up one also has:

12g Cascade 20m

12g Galaxy 5m

12g Cascade & 12g Galaxy flame out

12g Cascade and 12g Galaxy planned dry hop

I will call it Real Galaxcade

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Have you used Northern Brewer on its own before? I used it for late additions in a pale ale once and didn't really like it much. It threw a weird flavor.

7 hours ago, Beerlust said:

The only time I've seen an all Northern Brewer beer is in a "Steam beer". Apart from that I mostly only see it used as a bittering addition.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes once before and as lusty points out it was a steam beer. I was happy with the beer but wanted to see how it would go with a true lager ferment routine as last time I did it i didnt have temperature control conditions. Sample tasted fine so not worried. Will see how it pans out over the next 2, 3 weeks.

Brew day. ?

Back to the "Grail" trail.

Enterprising Lager v.4

Briess Pilsen Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg
Coopers Light Dry Malt extract 500gms
Coopers Pilsner Malt grain 500gms
Vienna Malt grain 500gms
Munich Malt grain 300gms
Aromatic Malt grain 200gms
Cascade 25gms @ 60mins
Cascade 15gms @ 30mins
Riwaka 15gms @ 15mins
Citra 15gms @ 5mins
Riwaka/Chinook 15gms each @ flameout
Nelson Sauvin 60gms dry hopped
2 x MJ’s M76 Bavarian Lager yeast rehydrated
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ approx. 13°C
OG = approx. 1.053
FG = approx. 1.010 - 1.014
EBC = 10.5 IBU = 45.2
Kegged ABV = approx. 5.2%

Hopefully the adjustments to the malt bill & hop schedule from what I learned off the last brewing will do the trick.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

11 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Hope this one gets closer for you @Beerlust

Thanks Capt. ?

No crystal malts this time, & more like a lager grist. The hop schedule is a little more complex than it need be, but I have some open packets of Citra & Chinook that need to be used up, & I've been staring at the Riwaka in my fridge for a couple of months now. They should fit well. I would be just as happy using entirely Cascade through the boil.

I found the lager strains tend to quell hop character, including smoothing bitterness. Because of this I've loaded the boil a little more, upped the overall IBU, & returned to a decent 60min bittering addition, rather than the short boil bittering addition I often do with the cleaner US ale strains.

Fingers crossed.

Lusty.

I'm doing another brew day tomorrow, just a simple pale ale with Motueka hops. I've never used them before and I'm not expecting a hop bomb but it should be an easy drinking beer anyway. No Magnum this time as I used it all up in that big stout brew. ?

Batch Size: 25 litres. Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%.

Water and Treatment
36.00 L Distilled Water (APA) Water 1 - -
6.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
4.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
3.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.75 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
2.71 g Chalk (Mash) Water Agent 6 - -

Grains
4.500 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 7 82.6 % 2.93 L
0.500 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 8 9.2 % 0.33 L
0.300 kg Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EBC) Grain 9 5.5 % 0.20 L
0.150 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 10 2.8 % 0.10 L
Mash at 67C for 70 minutes, 72C for 15 minutes, 78C mash out.

Hops
20.00 g Motueka [7.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 11 16.0 IBUs -
30.00 g Motueka [7.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 7.6 IBUs -
40.00 g Motueka [7.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 25.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 13 9.7 IBUs -
40.00 g Motueka [7.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min, 90.2 C Hop 14 2.8 IBUs -
75 minute boil.
50.00 g Motueka [7.40 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop

Yeast
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) 3rd generation, ferment at 18C.

The Stats
Est Original Gravity: 1.0512 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0119 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 36.1 IBUs
Est Color: 16.1 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Well I have plenty of Cascade so I might pair that with whatever is leftover from this batch when I brew another pale. Or something. I have amounts of around 70-100g left of various hops so I'll be doing some combos to use them up. Next on the list is a lager beer with Hallertau Mittelfrüeh and Saaz. 

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Water and Treatment
36.00 L Distilled Water (APA) Water 1 - -
6.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash) Water Agent 2 - -
4.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash) Water Agent 3 - -
3.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash) Water Agent 4 - -
2.75 g Salt (Mash) Water Agent 5 - -
2.71 g Chalk (Mash) Water Agent 6 - -

So OVB you are also manipulating your 'brew solution' (the solvent) as well as your ingredients/timing/temp?

That's pretty cool.

Do you distill your own water?

Funny... when I started brewing... I had a 25 deg C room... and double-distilled water on tap ?!  ? 

Not anymore ; )

Didn't realise the potential of it all - back then - we just kept brewing flat-out!

... and kept many punters happy and our wallets less exhausted : )

So since I’ve opened the new bag of base malt I have consistently had og’s Lower than expected by approximately 4-6 points. I am putting it down to the grains not being as modified as previous bags. I’m ok with it, I just find it interesting.

i reduces the strike water today by a litre and ended up about 2 points short of est.

next break I’m going to Perth to buy a mill and more grain as I’m really getting over my LHBS. 

Hopefully I can get expected efficiency after a new bag and mulling my own grain

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So OVB you are also manipulating your 'brew solution' (the solvent) as well as your ingredients/timing/temp?

That's pretty cool.

Do you distill your own water?

Funny... when I started brewing... I had a 25 deg C room... and double-distilled water on tap ?!  ? 

Not anymore ; )

Didn't realise the potential of it all - back then - we just kept brewing flat-out!

... and kept many punters happy and our wallets less exhausted : )

Yes, I brew from scratch. All grain in other words. I have been distilling water for brewing for a few years but previously I only did this for pilsners so I could replicate the very soft water they are brewed with. Recently I decided to expand this to all brews so I could dial in the desired mineral profile of the water more precisely to suit each style. 

However, there is one of my regular recipes where I don't do this, my red ale. After experimenting with the water for that recipe I found that straight tap water suits it the best, so when I brew that one I just fill the urn from the tap and throw in a bit of potassium metabisulphite to rid it of chloramines.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

Hey @The Captain1525230099, the Springtime recipe is on my to do list. It sounds like a great beer. Have you made it before?

As it happens, I've also got some Motueka to use up that I bought on a whim a little while ago. I'll try something with it and Cascade. Thanks for the discussion fellas - nice timing ?

Hey popo, I haven’t tried it before and thought I’d give it a crack. I reduced the bitterness by a fair chunk. As I think it would be a very bitter beer with not a lot of body for my tastes. 

Americans seem to enjoy a bit more bitterness overall. 

ill be sure to let you guys know how it goes once it’s in the glass. 

Well my 1st lager is at 1.01 to 1.011 and is sitting at 20c to clean up everything for 3 days. It has been 13 days, I am not sure if I should rack it to another fermenter and let it lager for another week or so, or just let it sit on the yeast cake for another week. I would then dry hop for 4 days, at day 6 of the week long lager, and then cold crash and fine for 3 days after the week long lager?  It would be about 10 additional days for 23 days total on the yeast cake if I dont rack it to another fermenter. I do not have an open keg for this lager, if I did I would do the dry hop and then fine and keg and let sit in the fridge at serving pressure for another month or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My issue is do I treat it like any other beer now and just dry hop and fine and then bottle or does additional time benefit lagers at low temps? For the bulk of the fermentation it sat at 10c with a slow rise to 14c over 12 days and then 3 days at 20c. The sample tastes good with a slight hint of sulphur, which I expect to cleanup over the next few days.

Cheers

Norris

What sort of lager is it? A lot of them aren't dry hopped at all. In any case, I'd leave it in the fermenter, drop it to 12 after the 3 days, then 2-3 degrees per day down to 3 degrees and leave it for a week. Chuck in the dry hop when it hits 3 degrees, fine it a few days before bottling/kegging it. I find the slower ramp down to lagering temps produces a better outcome than dropping it straight down over one day, and have had no issues with it being all done in primary. 

Usually mine sit in the fermenter for 3.5-4 weeks including about 1.5 weeks at 3 degrees, then cold in the keg for another 3-6 weeks depending on when in the brewing schedule they're done. By that stage they're bloody nice.

It is a concoction I came up with. I used a Mexican cerveza can and some golden promise. I used falconers flight and motueka hops, lightly, at 15min and 5min. I had 40g of falconers flight left over that I was going to toss in. It was a freezer clean up and a chance to try making a lager. It came up to be about 30ibus...but with most of the ibus coming from the cerveza kit at 21 liters.

Thank you I will be following your advice.

Cheers

Norris

I am tossing around the idea of doing a Bo Pils, probably based off your recipe, or an Oktoberfest type of thing with the munich and pilsner lme I have. I haven't really used noble hops a lot but if I did it would be all in the boil without a dry hop. I would want the malt to shine along with the clean crispness of the brew. This batch has me stoked, because I can see that I can do it. It is hard to tell but the samples taste a little sweet, probably should of done 30min boils and down but we will see after it carbonates. I dont want a hop bomb with this brew but I like to have something to go with what will probably be a pretty clean beer.

I also like that I can be brewing without rushing to fill a keg/bottles. I haven't really even looked at this brew except to note when it got to about 1.02 and to check samples. I am usually opening the fermentation chamber 6 times a night just to smell the aromas. It has been a learning experience, I just hope it comes out as a nice easy drinking summer quencher.

It has to be good because I already gave it a wanker name, Montezuma's Golden Falcon.

Norris

Archived