Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, bennysbrew said:

6 days on , fermented at 18c with us05, and its only down to 1.018? After 6 days I would of thought it would be lower ( started 1.038)? 

24 hours on, 1.018....surely not finished?

1 Cooper's liquid light malt

1 Cooper's liguid wheat malt

10g galaxy at 20

15g galaxy at 10

20g galaxy at 0 

11.5g uso5

23 l

Unless my glass hydrometer has given out, hadn't 3-4 weeks ago when I checked it, can't see why it would...

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

US05 will usually get about 70 to 75% attenuation so 1010 ish. Let it sit for 4 or 5 days to clean up anyway and you will probably see another point or three drop. 

Yeah wasn't looking to bottle just yet, normally leave them 2 weeks , was going to push this one forward to 10-11 days but to get the next one down to free up this weekend,  good weather for fishing finally! Might have to push the schedule back...

Brew day! ☺️

I put a yeast starter together this past Sunday with some MJ's M44 I had stored from a previous brew. It was up & fermenting the starter quite quickly so am hopeful a comment another member made about 2nd gens+ of this strain being more active & quicker starting are true when it hits the main brew wort.

A Pale Ale today using some Briess Golden Light extract, with Vienna, Pale & Supernova grains. Hops will be Mt. Hood for bittering, Amarillo/Chinook/Cascade in the boil, & Centennial/Cascade/Amarillo/Motueka dry hopped.

Spring is not too far away, so am looking forward to getting back on the Pale Ale trail. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I never got off the pale ale trail ? and I'll be brewing one this coming Saturday as well. Another of my hop experimental batches, this time using Vic Secret for the late and dry hop additions with a little Magnum early for some 'proper' bitterness. I'll post the recipe later in the week.

I shelved the stout batch until after this bloody dog training is done with because being a reiterated mash brew, I want to start it as early in the day as I can. It will be done some time in the next few weeks, and I'll go and grab another 30L fermenter during that time to use for it, where it will just ferment at ambient in a spare room, probably around the end of September when the temperatures should be warmer than now. That second fermenter will be used with a fridge and controller when we buy our house so I can double my production capacity. I'll pick up a controller some time between now and then, but the fridge I'll wait until after the move.

3 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

That looks like a good brew Lusty. Look forward to hearing how it fairs in the glass. 

Captain

Thanks Capt. I ended up subbing in 150gms of Munich for some of the Vienna as I had a small amount that needed to be used up, but the rest as is. Mt. Hood as a bittering hop I reckon is terrific when used in those American Pale type beers that carry a bit of extra crystal sweetness. The pungent resiny character of the hop cuts through it nicely helping curb the noticeable sweetness of the crystal malt(s) & bringing the beer into a better balance. For pale ales that use cleaner malt grists I prefer to use other hop varieties for bittering. Bravo is another hop I like to use for bittering in these sweeter malted pale ales for similar reasons.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I never got off the pale ale trail ?

I never got off it, just haven't brewed one in a little while probably because of that Otto Von Blotto guy that got me back interested in brewing lagers! ?

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Another of my hop experimental batches, this time using Vic Secret for the late and dry hop additions with a little Magnum early for some 'proper' bitterness. I'll post the recipe later in the week.

Good luck with your Vic Secret brew. It works very well when whirlpooled. ? There are a few brewers out there that don't like it, but I reckon they haven't taken the time to learn how best to use it. When used right, I get Mango &/or nice resiny traits.

A shame about the Magnum. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

?? my next batch after this pale ale will probably be a lager unless I brew the stout first.

I'm only using Magnum because I don't want another hop interfering with the flavor of the late hops. I'd read somewhere that Vic Secret is better used late and not long boiled so decided against using some for the early boil addition. When I'm using hops that work early as well as late then I don't usually use Magnum in those batches ?

Hiya Kelsey.

31 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm only using Magnum because I don't want another hop interfering with the flavor of the late hops.

When you can look past that BS belief particularly about this hop, & substitute the word "interfering" with "enhancing" you'll be well on the road to "true beer" enlightenment & euphoria.  ?

36 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...I'd read somewhere that Vic Secret is better used late and not long boiled so decided against using some for the early boil addition.

The HPA website proclaims it loud & clear. I just followed those recommendations & have enjoyed what this hop can give when I've brewed with it. Definitely not a hop to use for long boiling given it's extremely high co-humulone percentage level (IMHO). If used this way I would expect it to throw very harsh tones much like Galaxy does when long boiled.

38 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...When I'm using hops that work early as well as late then I don't usually use Magnum in those batches ?

So how will you ever know which hops work well both early & late if you never try them? ? Hmmm...

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Well one with a high cohumulone level you would probably figure wouldn't work well as an early addition. I've used Cascade, Citra, Centennial, simcoe and possibly others that I can't remember now for bittering in pale ales before. Obviously Saaz in pilsners. They have all been nice brews but not necessarily always better than others with Magnum as the bittering hop. The pilsners were better without Magnum as the sole bittering hop but I can't taste much difference in pale ales.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...I've used Cascade, Citra, Centennial, simcoe and possibly others that I can't remember now for bittering in pale ales before. Obviously Saaz in pilsners.

Safe, safe, safe, safe, ohh yeah.....& SAFE!

Live a little on the wild side. Take a magic carpet ride?

Cheers,

Lusty.

2 hours ago, QK said:

Red ale

3.5 kg M/O

.25 kg Cara aroma

.2 kg Carapils

.05 Midnight wheat

.1 kg Acid

3 gm Cal Sulphate

45 g Ekg 60 min

OG 1041