Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/31/2018 at 11:03 PM, Cheap Drunk said:

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of what my FG should be for the following brew, or point me to something that will let me work it out.

1.7kg can TC's pale ale

1.7kg can Homebrand Draught

1kg BE2

Made to 23L

Started with 1.054 and pitched both tin yeasts. It's 16 days in the FV but it's been around 16°C and has been 1.017 or so for about a week. I just gave it a gentle stir and put a couple of hot water bottles next to it. It's in a non-working fridge and swathed in blankets. Should I expect it to get much lower? And if it doesn't do that after a few more days, can I just go ahead and bottle it in Pet?

Cheers

Well my FG didn't drop any further so I just bottled it.  They're quite firm already after just six days so I fridged one and tried it today and it's very good. My best yet anyway. Once it gets fully carbed I'm going to enjoy it,  although it's not a session beer. Might be a touch stronger than the 5.2% I calculated.

I suspect your OG was low. I have done a two kit plus kilo brew before and the OG was in the low 1.060s. Can't remember what the FG on it was now but the ABV was over 6.5%. I reckon yours would be somewhere between 6 and 6.5%, taking into account the high FG and additional ABV from the priming sugar.

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I suspect your OG was low. I have done a two kit plus kilo brew before and the OG was in the low 1.060s. Can't remember what the FG on it was now but the ABV was over 6.5%. I reckon yours would be somewhere between 6 and 6.5%, taking into account the high FG and additional ABV from the priming sugar.

When taking the OG I just used the first sample, although I think I've read to chuck that and take another? I don't know why though, apart from bubbles.  But I was definitely expecting a higher ABV so I might have mucked up somewhere. 

Anyway, I threw a few more in the fridge after trying the first and am having one now. Definitely higher than 5.2%.

Yep epic is not the words i would use. Second batch in the fermenter. Yeast in prep. Using s04 for this one and will ferment as an ale. By the way SG of this batch 1.055 so 5 points off 1st brew. Must admit this one seemed to go much better.  Stirring the grains much easier and sparg took half the time. Now its a waiting game. Will drop temperature of first batch down to 10 deg tomorrow night. 2nd batch with the ale yeast will sit at 18 for 14 days then i will crank it up to 21 for the final 7 days. I will then crash them both for a further week before kegging. Kegs will sit in freezer at 5deg for 6 weeks. Looking forward to tasting my first lagers/pilsners.

2 hours ago, Cheap Drunk said:

When taking the OG I just used the first sample, although I think I've read to chuck that and take another? I don't know why though, apart from bubbles.  But I was definitely expecting a higher ABV so I might have mucked up somewhere. 

Anyway, I threw a few more in the fridge after trying the first and am having one now. Definitely higher than 5.2%.

You won't have bubbles in an OG sample, they come from CO2 produced by the fermentation, which obviously hasn't started when you take an OG sample. I think the idea behind discarding the first bit is because of trub that builds up around the tap during the fermentation. It's more of a thing when you're taking FG samples.

The beauty of Valley Weather, today is like an English Summer with the temps hitting 14oC early in the day.

Enough about the weather today I am brewing an English Extra Special Bitter, which I guess has a correlation to my opening statement.

English Bitter in Targets and Name only

OG 1.054

IBU 39.6

EBC 27.3

ABV 5.2%

The Grain Bill is a mix match to make up the required 5kg with 2.5 GP, 1.5 Pils, .5 Ale and .5 Caramalt.

Magnum to bitter, Fuggles to finish and rinsed ESB to ferment. Might even do a small dry hop of 10g.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

My up and down efficiency continues plus I ended up with an extra litre in the FV ?

It was all a bit of rush in the end and I was rinsing the yeast from my previous EB and doing the cleanup in the dark with the temps dropping fast. Should've seen this coming as I didn't get the mash on until 1pm. 

Anyway I put 21 litres of lovely sweet wort at 1.048 into my FV. Due to the rush I pitched a litre of yeast slurry (dropping the OG by an estimated .02), a bit rule of thumb compared to all the calculations others yeast doctors perform so hopefully it gets up and going sometime today.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley brew

2nd Brew day on the Robobrew.

Hop Head  IPA (recipe from brewmart)

4.75kg pale ale malt

0.23kg Munich malt

0.02 Caramunich malt

0.15kg Caramalt

0.2kg Cararye

15g Citra and Chinook 60min

15g Citra and Chinook 10min

15g Citra and 30g Galaxy 2min

Will dry hop 15g of each of the above hops

OG 1.058

IBUs 56

1.5 litre starter of Notty charging less than 12 hours after pitching

I didn't hit my OG yesterday, missed it by 1½ points, but the pre boil gravity was also lower. The boil added 8 points which is pretty normal so if I'd hit the pre boil gravity I'd have been pretty well on target. Oh well, it will still be a nice beer, I'm not concerned with minor differences like that. If it was 5 or 10 points out I'd be concerned though.

Cheers

Kelsey

Its clean up time for me after yesterdays brew day. Glad to report both brews have kicked off. Nice health krausen on the batch with the ale yeast first thing this morning. Lager yeast batch has just started to form its Krausen. Started to step down the temperature in the freezer. Should be at 10 deg before close of business tonight. 

Recipe: kolsch III 343
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.50 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   1        -             
3.50 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   2        -             
1.50 g                Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins)      Water Agent   3        -             
3.00 kg               Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain         4        57.1 %        
2.00 kg               Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)   Grain         5        38.1 %        
0.25 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         6        4.8 %         
10.00 g               Super Pride [13.90 %] - First Wort 60.0  Hop           7        15.2 IBUs     
30.00 g               Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 Hop           8        14.3 IBUs     
15.00 g               Galaxy [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 Hop           9        7.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast         10       -             
30.00 g               Enigma [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      
15.00 g               Galaxy [15.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days      Hop           12       0.0 IBUs      

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: English Porter 266
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: English Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 54.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.50 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   1        -             
1.50 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   2        -             
1.50 g                Salt (Mash 60.0 mins)                    Water Agent   3        -             
3.00 kg               Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain         4        66.7 %        
1.00 kg               Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                   Grain         5        22.2 %        
0.20 kg               Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)        Grain         6        4.4 %         
0.20 kg               Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)    Grain         7        4.4 %         
0.10 kg               Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)    Grain         8        2.2 %         
60.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - Firs Hop           9        32.5 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml Yeast         10       -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I likened Enigma to Nelson Sauvin in some ways. Not as pungent, but had enough similar traits (I thought) that it would be what I would use in place of Nelson Sauvin if I couldn't get hold of that hop.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

92 Litres .... 23 litres of 86 days Pilsner, 1kg of LDM and kit yeast, 23 litre of real ale 1kg of LDM and kit yeast, 46 litres of Australian Pale Ale, 500 g of LDM,  1 kg of Enhanser 2, kit yeast ... Ale fined 3 days ago and ready to bottle ... other 2 doing their stuff ...  

20180616_162131.jpg

I don’t think it takes that much time to bottle. If your doing 330ml bottles then yeah that’ll take you a week. They’ll be bottle conditioned before ya finish but if your doing king Browns I reckon it’ll only take him a couple of hours. 

Captain

3 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I don’t think it takes that much time to bottle. If your doing 330ml bottles then yeah that’ll take you a week. They’ll be bottle conditioned before ya finish but if your doing king Browns I reckon it’ll only take him a couple of hours. 

Captain

The 19 litre stainless steel bottles make bottling even easier null

Archived