Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

Yeah I normally start allowing mine to rise after 6 days at ferment temp as that's usually when they've dropped to the target SG for the rise to begin. I've never been able to detect diacetyl in my lagers. I did have one that tasted a bit sweet when it went on tap at first but when it was fully carbonated the sweetness went away so I guess it wasn't diacetyl.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st brew on my old rig today!

Gotta say it went very well considering I didn't have any of my old settings to punch in. Boil off was a fair bit more than Beersmith's default, and I fecked up my mash water volume by a bit, but ended up 1 point shy of target OG.

002 - AIPA

6kg JWM Traditional Ale

200g Wheat

200g Med Crystal

60 min boil

50g Cascade cube hopped

50g Simcoe cube hopped

1.062 OG

Mash started at 65 and dropped to 63 so should be a VERY fermentable wort.

Got 600ml of the unhopped wort in a mason jar to wake up some slurry.

First time using a pump, and I can't say I'm a fan. Gravity was always quite good to me, and I really have no need to recirc. The trub cone was not as tight with a mechanical whirlpool either.

Overall, I'm stoked. As I had suspected, the extended dry hop in my slow to finish IPA that I'm drinking now has killed all the aroma and flavour, so it'll be nice to queue up something tasty.

Cheers all.

Philbo ?

Brewday tomorrow morning so i thought i would post the recipe now, and the stats tomorrow.

Pirate Life Throwback IPA Clone

1.3kg Golden Promise

1.3kg Munich

270g Carapils

180g Wheat Malt

150g Caramunich III

30g Acid Malt

6g Gypsum, 2g Calcium Chloride, 2g Epsom Salts.

Mash in 18 litres water at 69°C for 90 mins, stirred every 30 mins. Dunk sparge in 9 litres water at 75°C

5g Simcoe at 60 mins

15g each Cascade, Simcoe, Summer at Flameout

25g each Cascade, Simcoe, Summer cube hops at 80°C

WLP001 from starter at 18°C

30g each Cascade, Simcoe, Summer dry hops

17 litres into fermenter

Aiming for,

OG 1.040, IBU 35, FG 1.013, ABV 3.5%

I will post all the actual numbers from brewday tomorrow

Cheers mate!

This will be the first time. I have never done the same batch twice, or even the same but slightly different before. I tend to do something different every batch so that i can have some variety. At the moment i have 10 different beers on the go in bottles. Love it!

It sucks you gotta work dude, but just think of me brewing and drinkin a few homies tomorrow while you're sweatin it up workin your ass off! Haha! ?

9 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Cheers mate!

This will be the first time. I have never done the same batch twice, or even the same but slightly different before. I tend to do something different every batch so that i can have some variety. At the moment i have 10 different beers on the go in bottles. Love it!

sucks you gotta work dude, but just think of me brewing and drinkin a few homies tomorrow while you're sweatin it up workin your ass off! Haha! ?

Well thanks for that. Enjoy your day.

As for sweating, hmm not sure, it got down to a brisk 19c this morning so I’ve got my jacket on. And it’ll probably on hit 30/31c today so sensational day to be working in the Pilbara. 

As for my next brew day Thursday I’m really not sure what to do. I have three batches of hoppy pales and a stout. It also needs to be an ale as I’ll ferment the stout with it. 

Captain 

Nice looking brews Philbo & RowBrew.

Interesting Philbo that your AIPA recipe only uses cube hops to create all your bitterness as well as flavour/aroma. I'll be interested on how that turns out.

RowBrew, I'm a big fan of the little Throwback IPA from Pirate Life. I haven't checked the FG on it, but think the commercial version might start & finish with a lower OG & FG. ?
No matter, lower ABV% beers taste & seem soo much better with some body in them I reckon.

Best of luck with both brews guys.

Lusty.

Definitely need body in a low abv beer, otherwise too thin and watery.  

Pirate life throwback is a good example of a light beer with a bang. 

IMO the brewdog little pony (I think) is too thin to carry the hops. 

I’m going to do one of these mid strength beers when I figure out exactly what I want to do. 

I too am interested in how the cube hop will provide bitterness and flavour. Especially to a AIPA, where it’s meant to be quite bitter. 

Good luck to ya both.

Captain

Thanks fellas.

Kirk, Brisk? 19°C? Thats like a heatwave for me this time of year. It reached 13°C today and was nice. All the best for your brewday on Thursday and i hope you can decide on something awesome!

Lusty, im not sure where i got the OG number of 1.040. It could have been from a post on aussiehomebrewer but i can't remember. No less it will still make a nice beer im sure. Could i just measure the FG from the commercial version?

The stats are as follows,

Pre boil - 1.035 in 25.5 litres

Post boil - 1.040 in 17 litres

Efficiency of 70%

IBU - 39

The IBU is little higher than i wanted but should still be alright. I still don't know how to fully adjust for no chill flameout additions. I have been putting them at 20 min boil on my homebrew recipe app and most of my beers taste about right. You probably won't even be able to taste 4 extra IBUs from a flamout addition anyway would you?

24 minutes ago, Rowbrew said:

Lusty, im not sure where i got the OG number of 1.040. It could have been from a post on aussiehomebrewer but i can't remember. No less it will still make a nice beer im sure. Could i just measure the FG from the commercial version?

Yes.

Just de-gas a hydrometer sample from a commercial bottle as you would your own homebrew. Generally breweries that naturally carbonate in the bottle, use dextrose or sugar that completely ferments out so the OG at the end of primary ferment is the same as post secondary ferment (carbonation). A malt based or other fermentable derived wort (such as honey) can be added in place of dextrose & used for secondary fermentation that may add a point to the SG at most in a stubbie situation I would think (volume vs weight), but as a general rule I would trust the de-gassed SG reading on all naturally bottle conditioned commercial beers as being on the mark & able to be reproduced at a home brew level.

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Sharp as a tack Hairy. Phil's been back posting for well over a week now.

Nice of you to catch back up. ?

Lusty.

I was welcoming him back to home brewing, not the forum. Hence the quote from Phil that I referenced.

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I was welcoming him back to home brewing, not the forum. Hence the quote from Phil that I referenced.

Ohh. Sorry for interfering with the business of the higher alumni. ?

It is sorta scary having both of you back on the forum at the same time. 

I shall consult the prophets again on what best to do. ? ? ?

Lusty.

5 hours ago, Rowbrew said:

Thanks fellas.

Kirk, Brisk? 19°C? Thats like a heatwave for me this time of year. It reached 13°C today and was nice. All the best for your brewday on Thursday and i hope you can decide on something awesome!

The stats are as follows,

Pre boil - 1.035 in 25.5 litres

Post boil - 1.040 in 17 litres

Efficiency of 70%

IBU - 39

The IBU is little higher than i wanted but should still be alright. I still don't know how to fully adjust for no chill flameout additions. I have been putting them at 20 min boil on my homebrew recipe app and most of my beers taste about right. You probably won't even be able to taste 4 extra IBUs from a flamout addition anyway would you?

In a beer with an og of 1.040, it’s going to make a little bit more difference than if it was a 1.055 beer. In my opinion I can taste the difference at lower levels but once you start getting into 35 plus ibus I find the difference of 4 negligable. It’ll be in a session IPA territory though. So bitter with less body to balance. 

But im sure it’ll taste sensational.

Well it was brisk this morning and got to 33 Weather report was lying again. But very pleasant and no sweating. Love the Pilbara in winter. 

Captain

21 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Ohh. Sorry for interfering with the business of the higher alumni. ?

It is sorta scary having both of you back on the forum at the same time. 

I shall consult the prophets again on what best to do. ? ? ?

Lusty.

I've missed this. ?

I brewed up my lowish gravity Mosaic rye lager last night. Tasting the wort, it's definitely got potential, so hopefully it turns out alright. All that rye malt made for a sticky grain bed, so lautering was a bit slower than normal. This beer has really turned out to be an exercise in moderation, not too strong, not too bitter, not too hoppy. I didn't even have anything to drink while I was brewing!

Stats
Volume: 14 litres post-boil (11 litres into the fermenter)
OG: 1.041
IBU: 24
EBC: 9.7
ABV: ~4.6% (expected FG of 1.009 + bottle conditioning)

Grain
2kg Voyager Compass malt (4.5 EBC)
500g Best Malz rye malt (8.5 EBC)
100g Best Malz light crystal malt (30 EBC)

Hops
5g Mosaic (11.8% AA) @FWH
20g Mosaic @5 mins
20g Mosaic @flameout (15 min steep)
30g Mosaic dry hop to come

Yeast
Re-pitched Coopers Ale / Lager kit blend slurry (fermented at lager temps)

Process
90 minute no-sparge mash @67 C
60 minute boil
No-chill in the kettle

There is something I have previously noticed. While mash conversion nominally 'happens' very quickly, it is not an on / off switch and stuff keeps happening over time. I have consistently observed somewhere between 5 and 10% more extract from a 90 minute mash vs a 60 minute mash.

So for this batch I thought I would get another data point to see what difference a 90 minute mash makes to the expected yield from my grain bill max PPG. Normally I'd expect somewhere in the 85 to 90% range from a 60 minute mash (which aligns fairly well with John Palmer's advice on typical yields in How to Brew). My recipe was originally targeted at a 1.037 OG from an 85% expected yield. I targeted an OG on the low side since I had a feeling I would get a little more extract with the 90 minute mash. My pre-boil volume was spot on but the gravity was a little high (1.035 vs the targeted 1.031). Doing the maths, that equates to 94% of max yield. I could always have underestimated the max PPG of my grain bill of course, but this tells me that going with 90% for my next recipe with a 90 minute mash would be a good starting point. I'll keep refining it over time.

Also, forget cubes! No-chill in the kettle is great if you are going to transfer to the fermenter and pitch yeast within a day or two. At the end of the boil I just added flameout hops and moved the kettle to sit on something heat-proof in my cold sunroom. I let the hops steep for 15 minutes with the lid on the kettle, then lifted out the hop filter, threw it into my mash tun for cleanup next morning and popped the lid back on the kettle. Tonight I just siphoned the wort into the fermenter, avoiding the trub that my Brewbrite rounded up and dropped out. I'm slowly streamlining my process, and one less vessel to clean is a good thing! Of course I don't know what the cat that sleeps in the sunroom did to it overnight, but how bad can it be right? Right?

Cheers,

John

10 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Of course I don't know what the cat that sleeps in the sunroom did to it overnight, but how bad can it be right? Right?

Cheers,

John

Well if it your brew tastes like most lagers then you’ll know where your cat went to the toilet before bed ha ha ha. 

Nice looking brew there John.

Captain

Archived