Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Brew in 11 weeks yesterday. English Bitter with 500g Biscuit Malt and London ESB yeast. Day went pretty well and I'm looking at a Special Bitter around 4.5%. Fuggles were my choice for late hops and I'm looking at 32 IBU.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

50 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Lusty will be happy to know that I am bittering with Target and not Magnum ?

i restocked with Magnum on Friday. I've decided to stick with it as it makes great beers.

Brew day happening on Saturday, need some wort ready for pitching when this lager is kegged the following weekend. Another red ale as it hasn't been on tap for a while.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 35.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 31.25 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l   
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes*

Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
36.00 l Brisbane Water Water 1 -
4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
2.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 86.6 %
0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5 6.5 %
0.200 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 4.3 %
0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 7 1.5 %
0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 1.1 %
20.00 g Cascade [6.60 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 15.0 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10   8.3 IBUs
20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 12.0 IBUs
Yeast - West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469), from starter. Yeast 12 -

The grains will be mashed at 67C for 70 minutes, then raised to 72C for a 20 minute rest at that temp before mash out at 78C.

Yeast is 13th or 14th generation, begin ferment at 18C and raise to 21/22C after 3-4 days. After 9-10 days drop to 0C for 7 days before kegging.

*The boil time could be increased if I deem that it won't reach target volume and gravity by 75 minutes. Obviously I'll have to make this call before the 20 minute Centennial addition goes in.

The Stats
Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.0127 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %
Bitterness: 35.3 IBUs
Est Color: 31.9 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

Double brew day

Recipe: Weak As Piss 175
Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Estimated Color: 5.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1.75 kg               Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain         1        61.4 %        
0.75 kg               Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)           Grain         2        26.3 %        
0.35 kg               Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                   Grain         3        12.3 %        
15.00 g               Super Pride [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min    Hop           4        25.4 IBUs     
San Diego Super Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe: kolsch 211
Style: Kölsch
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.50 kg               Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain         1        93.3 %        
0.25 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         2        6.7 %         
40.00 g               Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Boil  Hop           3        26.8 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast         4        -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of what my FG should be for the following brew, or point me to something that will let me work it out.

1.7kg can TC's pale ale

1.7kg can Homebrand Draught

1kg BE2

Made to 23L

Started with 1.054 and pitched both tin yeasts. It's 16 days in the FV but it's been around 16°C and has been 1.017 or so for about a week. I just gave it a gentle stir and put a couple of hot water bottles next to it. It's in a non-working fridge and swathed in blankets. Should I expect it to get much lower? And if it doesn't do that after a few more days, can I just go ahead and bottle it in Pet?

Cheers

Hi Cheap Drunk, & welcome to the forum.

Your recipe listing combined with your primary ferment conditions & your current SG make it extremely difficult to give any accuracy on whether your current SG is in fact your FG.

There are soooo many variables in where the beer is possibly at given the info you've provided. It could be in a partial stall due to the possibility of low viability of the Homebrand yeast due to it's storage conditions etc. The current SG could be true & finished fermenting if the Homebrand wort leaves excessive body, who knows that one? The lower than suitable 16°C ferment temp you speak of may have created a stall at some point along the way, again who can be sure.

On whether to bottle or not, the big plus you have is you're bottling in PET's that will allow you to monitor their carbonation level more easily once bottled. If the SG is at 1.017 tomorrow & the hydrometer sample tastes OK to you, I'd go ahead & bottle the batch. Once bottled, keep your eye on how firm the bottles are. Once they're 'rock hard' they're definitely ready for drinking, & in your case there is the possibility beyond that point where the beer will continue to secondary ferment & over-carbonate the beer causing gushing-like scenarios after opening if the beer is aged for too long after bottling.

Moving forward, if you are going to spend the cash on a high quality kit such as the Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale, then do yourself a favour & match it up with quality malt ingredients & adjuncts so that the terrific flavours Coopers have developed in these kits, you will enjoy. Adding the TC kit to a homebrand kit has only helped to diminish the flavours you paid good money for to eventually enjoy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

12 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Cheap Drunk, & welcome to the forum.

Your recipe listing combined with your primary ferment conditions & your current SG make it extremely difficult to give any accuracy on whether your current SG is in fact your FG.

There are soooo many variables in where the beer is possibly at given the info you've provided. It could be in a partial stall due to the possibility of low viability of the Homebrand yeast due to it's storage conditions etc. The current SG could be true & finished fermenting if the Homebrand wort leaves excessive body, who knows that one? The lower than suitable 16°C ferment temp you speak of may have created a stall at some point along the way, again who can be sure.

On whether to bottle or not, the big plus you have is you're bottling in PET's that will allow you to monitor their carbonation level more easily once bottled. If the SG is at 1.017 tomorrow & the hydrometer sample tastes OK to you, I'd go ahead & bottle the batch. Once bottled, keep your eye on how firm the bottles are. Once they're 'rock hard' they're definitely ready for drinking, & in your case there is the possibility beyond that point where the beer will continue to secondary ferment & over-carbonate the beer causing gushing-like scenarios after opening if the beer is aged for too long after bottling.

Moving forward, if you are going to spend the cash on a high quality kit such as the Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale, then do yourself a favour & match it up with quality malt ingredients & adjuncts so that the terrific flavours Coopers have developed in these kits, you will enjoy. Adding the TC kit to a homebrand kit has only helped to diminish the flavours you paid good money for to eventually enjoy.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck with the brew.

Lusty.

Thanks Beerlust. I've been reading this and the AHB site for a while and in the Toucan thread over there plenty of people were using the homebrand kits for one if not both tins so I thought I'd do a bit of an experiment.

I picked up a bunch of Thomas Coopers kits on clearance for $8 each so it hasn't cost me a lot. And this time rather than chuck in 1.5kg LDM for $24 or so I went with the BE2 for $6 and the HB tin for about $8. One poster there made the exact same but with Coopers Real Ale instead of TC's pale ale, and he reckons it's great. I didn't have a great deal of hope for the HB yeast as it says to brew between 25-35°C but I figured the Coopers yeast would do most of the work. So far I've tasted a couple of the samples and to me it's good, probably the best of mine so far, which has included other TC's kits with the recommended LDM.

Anyway, I too figured a possible stall due to the temperature but I suppose it's not that far off what I guesstimated FG would be so, fingers crossed. Again, thanks for your thoughts and the welcome, reading this site has been incredibly helpful and I'm sure will continue to be. 

Cheers

25 minutes ago, Cheap Drunk said:

Thanks Beerlust. I've been reading this and the AHB site for a while and in the Toucan thread over there plenty of people were using the homebrand kits for one if not both tins so I thought I'd do a bit of an experiment.

I picked up a bunch of Thomas Coopers kits on clearance for $8 each so it hasn't cost me a lot. And this time rather than chuck in 1.5kg LDM for $24 or so I went with the BE2 for $6 and the HB tin for about $8. One poster there made the exact same but with Coopers Real Ale instead of TC's pale ale, and he reckons it's great. I didn't have a great deal of hope for the HB yeast as it says to brew between 25-35°C but I figured the Coopers yeast would do most of the work. So far I've tasted a couple of the samples and to me it's good, probably the best of mine so far, which has included other TC's kits with the recommended LDM.

Anyway, I too figured a possible stall due to the temperature but I suppose it's not that far off what I guesstimated FG would be so, fingers crossed. Again, thanks for your thoughts and the welcome, reading this site has been incredibly helpful and I'm sure will continue to be. 

Cheers

The AHB site has some terrific brewers on there, but most of them have moved on from kit based brewing. The Coopers forum however contains many that kit base brew & experiment around that (including me sometimes). The relevant information pool around kit based brewing is better here I feel.

If you have a liking for 'Toucan' brews, then do yourself a massive favour & brew yourself the holy grail of them all.

Coopers DIY: Vintage Ale (2014 version link)

I've been seriously home brewing for about 7-8 years now. I record all my brews to learn from. I also rate them on a 1-5 star basis. I think I currently have 4-5 beers that have a 5 star rating. This is one of them.

I actually feel pity for the AG brewers as they will toil away for years & not brew anything close to as good as this even if trying for quite a long time.

It's an outstanding kit based homebrew recipe. The 2014 version was one of my favourites.

Cheers,

Lusty.

26 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The AHB site has some terrific brewers on there, but most of them have moved on from kit based brewing. The Coopers forum however contains many that kit base brew & experiment around that (including me sometimes). The relevant information pool around kit based brewing is better here I feel.

If you have a liking for 'Toucan' brews, then do yourself a massive favour & brew yourself the holy grail of them all.

Coopers DIY: Vintage Ale (2014 version link)

I've been seriously home brewing for about 7-8 years now. I record all my brews to learn from. I also rate them on a 1-5 star basis. I think I currently have 4-5 beers that have a 5 star rating. This is one of them.

I actually feel pity for the AG brewers as they will toil away for years & not brew anything close to as good as this even if trying for quite a long time.

It's an outstanding kit based homebrew recipe. The 2014 version was one of my favourites.

Cheers,

Lusty.

" a reputation as a high alcohol, high bitterness, flavoursome beer, which may be consumed young"...bang on. That is exactly what I'm after at this time of year and with my nonexistent stock of beer. It's a couple more ingredients than I've brewed with so far but not daunting. I'm definitely going to give that one a go. Thanks mate.

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

You're funny.

Recipe: Little Irish Red 217
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain, BIAB, No Chill

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.035 SG
Estimated Color: 32.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
2.74 kg               Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain         1        80.2 %        
0.20 kg               Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)        Grain         2        5.9 %         
0.20 kg               Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)         Grain         3        5.9 %         
0.20 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)   Grain         4        5.8 %         
0.08 kg               Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC)    Grain         5        2.3 %         
15.00 g               Target [9.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           6        17.1 IBUs     
35.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - Stee Hop           7        5.6 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml Yeast         8        -             

Brew day! ☺️

And a belated one at that. I was a little under the weather shall we say last week when I originally wanted to put this brew down, so am glad I've got a few hours spare to put it down today.

Enterprising Lager V.3:

Briess Pilsen Malt Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg
Light Dry Malt extract 1kg
Coopers Ale Malt grain 500gms
Munich Malt grain 350gms
Light Crystal malt grain 100gms
Mt. Hood 10gms @ 60mins
Cascade 40gms @ 30mins
Nelson Sauvin 20gms @ flameout
Nelson Sauvin 40gms dry hopped
2 x W34/70 yeast rehydrated
Brewed to 21 litres
Ferment @ approx. 13°C
OG = approx. 1.049, FG = approx. 1.008
IBU = 40.3, kegged ABV = approx. 5.2%

The new brewing calculator I'm using suggests 83% attenuation for the W34/70. We'll see about that. ?

The main thing I want to see first from this beer is the citrus bitterness I remember from the commercial beer. If I don't get it this time around I may have to consider boiling the Cascade hops for 60mins next time. The malt grist I'll fine tune later.

I don't know what it is, but I get all excited & nervous at the same time every time I make a lager. I don't know why either. Maybe it's because I primarily brew ales & feel like back when I was a kid jumping the neighbours fence to retrieve a ball knowing that I shouldn't be there. Similar feeling with me brewing lagers. ?

Mini-mash has about 45mins left to go, then onto the 60min boil.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived