Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewday tomorrow but i thought id post it now just cause. I took it from the Gladfields malt website and just adjusted it to 22 litres. I also changed the hop schedule too

Fire in the Sky Red Ale

22 litre batch

90 min mash at 67°C

Estimated OG 1.062

Estimated IBU 35

Estimated Colour 32 EBC

5g Calcium Sulfate

4g Calcium Chloride

2.4kg Gladfield Ale

2kg Vienna

1.3kg Aurora

480g Red Back

300g Shepards Delight

25g Centennial FWH

4g Magnum at 60 mins

London ESB Dry yeast

Cheers!

Have 200g of aging Styrian Golding and some NZ Fuggles on hand so back to my British roots with this partial mash best bitter: 

• 1.7kg Black Rock LME
  • 1.6kg GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 100g GF Light Crystal
  • 100g GF Dark Crystal
  • 50g Roasted Barley
  • 200g Sugar
  • 5g Gypsum
  • 50g Fuggles (45 mins)
  • 50g Styrian Golding (10 mins)
  • 50g Styrian Goldings (FO)
  • Safale S04

75min mash @67ºC.

Brew day! ☺️

First straight kit based brew I have done in a very long time. 

Coopers DIY Sparkling Ale:

Coopers Innkeeper's Daughter Sparkling Ale 1.7kg

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Coopers Dry Malt extract 500gms

Dextrose 300gms

Re-activated CCA yeast from 9 stubbies.

OG = approx. 1.056, FG = ? (hoping for 1.011)

EBC = 7.3, IBU = 45

ABV = approx. 5.6% - 5.8%

Ferment @ 20°C, Brewed to 23 litres

It was super quick mixing it all together. ?

I had to mod the DIY recipe a little due to me kegging the beer. I hope the ferment goes well, as I am just a little bit excited about how the beer could turn out. The kit itself is much underrated & under-used (IMHO).

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

16 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Brew day! ☺️

First straight kit based brew I have done in a very long time. 

Coopers DIY Sparkling Ale:

Coopers Innkeeper's Daughter Sparkling Ale 1.7kg

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Coopers Dry Malt extract 500gms

Dextrose 300gms

Re-activated CCA yeast from 9 stubbies.

OG = approx. 1.056, FG = ? (hoping for 1.011)

EBC = 7.3, IBU = 45

ABV = approx. 5.6% - 5.8%

Ferment @ 20°C, Brewed to 23 litres

It was super quick mixing it all together. ?

I had to mod the DIY recipe a little due to me kegging the beer. I hope the ferment goes well, as I am just a little bit excited about how the beer could turn out. The kit itself is much underrated & under-used (IMHO).

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I love a good coopers sparkling. I might throw one of these down in my next brew to see how it goes.

thanks for the inspiration lusty.

cheers and brew well

captain.

52 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I love a good coopers sparkling. I might throw one of these down in my next brew to see how it goes.

thanks for the inspiration lusty.

cheers and brew well

captain.

Thanks Captain! ?

I've meant to say, very envious of a number of your recent brews! They've looked terrific. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:45 PM, Ben 10 said:

Looks good mate...

Double brewday (maybe)

Just threw a 130g dry hop in the IPA, equal Centennial and Amarillo.

Also dry hopped the Nelson Light 

10 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Sounds delicious.  You are right about that kit, made a saison with it a while back and it came out really nice.  Great flavour

Put 2 down yesterday.

Black Rock Pale Ale

1.5kg DME

360g Light Crystal

100g Maltodextrin

40g Riwaka @ 10min

40g Riwaka dry hopped

US05 + Kit yeast rehydrated

Brew @ 18°c 

Coopers Dark Ale

1.5kg dme

410g medium crystal

150g maltodextrin

15g styrian goldings & Simcoe @ 5 min

K97 + kit yeast rehydrated

Brew @ 18°c

Will be starting AG in the next couple of months, can"t wait. I just scored a 60lt Pot with strainer an d i'm just in the process of ordering this Gas ring

Cheers, Hoppy

received_10156388233171598.jpeg

received_10156388233176598.jpeg

received_10156388233206598.jpeg

i have the ROTM Dark Monk to throw down today. looks pretty basic, some crystal and choc grains to steep. willamette hops for 10 minutes and coopers lager and liquid malt extract, some DME  with a belgian yeast. Will fit this in the fridge just under the IPA from yesterday. 

Im getting the stock levels up nicely. I have about 25 PET bottles of the stout which is about 2 months old now but still needs a lot more time. cracked one last night and still very malty even though its mellowed 

I just did a pale ale that will use biotransformation, adding hops during fermentation.

1.7kg blackrock light liquid malt

750g light dry malt

250g wheat malt

300g carapils

250 dextrose

10l boil

20g each citra, centennial and amarillo 20 min steep

30g each same hop combo 20 min steep below 80c

1.043 OG. 1 packet of Nottingham rehydrated.

I will dry hop 25g of each at high krausen and another 25g at end of fermentation.

Cheers,

Norris

Looks the good there Hoppy, you will be amazed at the difference between extract and all grain. Good luck to ya!

I brewed the Fire in the Sky Red Ale earlier today. All went very smoothly and i ended up with a few gravity foints higher than expected so that was welcoming. Also i only had 21g Centennial left, so i added 6g Magnum at 60 to get the IBUs i was after. Should be alright this one

Snapchat-413878380.jpg

Great looking red ale there rowbrew.  I haven't brewed one of this style (yet) but I have had a couple of good commercial red IPAs as well as one stand out from my local homebrew club and I do like drinking these.  Captain, I can imagine once the yeast has been pitched and is in suspension they would look very brown.  like a lot of my pale ales, tend to look like yellow pea soup until the cold crash!

Put down a mid strength lager today. 

1.7kg Coopers Lager 

600g LDM

IanH spreadsheet had it as 1.034 at 21L but ended up at 1.033

This one will be going into the keg so should end up at 3.2-3.3%

Did a yeast starter on my homemade stir plate which seemed to work well and it's fermenting at 12c

My next brew in a couple of days is going to be a HopCo from pirate life inspired pale ale. I’m not looking to clone this beer just thought the hop combinations were really nice.

This will be the second version of this beer. The first was a great sessionable beer, I’m hoping to make it a bit more hoppier with the cube additions to make this beer a little less drinkable if that makes sense. Like a little more robust, the last one seriously lasted a few days due to people coming around for a few. 

OG 1.047

Approx Abv 4.75%

Approx IBU 35

Yeast White labs WLP001 fermented at 19/20

4kg BB pale malt

1.2kg Munich 2

.1kg Acidulated

FWA 

20g Pacifica

Boil 5mins

30g motueka

20g cascade

10g Pacifica 

Whirlpool steep 15mins

35g motueka

35g cascade

20g pacifica

Cube hop addition at 85 degrees 

20g motueka

15g cascade

5g pacifica

Comments welcomed.

cheers and brew well

Captain

•  

On 5/5/2018 at 8:11 PM, Beerlust said:

Thanks Captain! ?

I've meant to say, very envious of a number of your recent brews! They've looked terrific. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks for the compliment Lusty.

It means a lot coming from someone I respect due to your contributions to this forum. 

Cheers

Kirk

Hey @The Captain1525230099 nice looking brew there.  I have tried that PL collaboration beer and i did like the hop combo as well.  It lacked body and bitterness from what I can remember, but the hop flavours did work well.

Couple of questions.  How does a 1.2kg munich malt go in a brew?  I usually use about half of this, but usually have a crystal malt in there.  Interested in your thoughts and tasting notes as I might try a pale + munich combo in the future.

Also with your 85C cube additions, this is very similar to me.  I whirlpool and let stand for 30mins before transferring into cube, otherwise the proteins are still floating around if I transfer earlier.  The wort is at 85C 30min after flameout.  How do you account for the bitterness (albeit less) that is extracted from cube hops at 85C?  Do you chill your cube to bring it down under 80C or just leave it in the air to cool down naturally?  My cube hops have been over 100g so for me this has potential to really change the IBU of the beer

3 hours ago, joolbag said:

Hey @The Captain1525230099 nice looking brew there.  I have tried that PL collaboration beer and i did like the hop combo as well.  It lacked body and bitterness from what I can remember, but the hop flavours did work well.

Couple of questions.  How does a 1.2kg munich malt go in a brew?  I usually use about half of this, but usually have a crystal malt in there.  Interested in your thoughts and tasting notes as I might try a pale + munich combo in the future.

Also with your 85C cube additions, this is very similar to me.  I whirlpool and let stand for 30mins before transferring into cube, otherwise the proteins are still floating around if I transfer earlier.  The wort is at 85C 30min after flameout.  How do you account for the bitterness (albeit less) that is extracted from cube hops at 85C?  Do you chill your cube to bring it down under 80C or just leave it in the air to cool down naturally?  My cube hops have been over 100g so for me this has potential to really change the IBU of the beer

Hey Jools,

The last time I brewed this it was a great beer. Nice body, with a good backbone bitterness which combined with the late additions made it a very sessionable beer. Just like the PL HopCo. One thing it did need though was a bit more whirlpool hop presence. Which is why I am going with the 85 degree cube hop adds. I want to extract some oils then can them in there.

i haven’t tried one of my cube hopped beers yet as they are cold crashing now so I’ll have some in a couple of weeks time.

The latest sample I tried it was significantly more bitter than my last batch so, I don’t know how to adjust for the cube hops yet. I guess I can say that I haven’t adjusted at all ha ha just giving it a crack and see what happens. 

30mins after flameout it’s at 85. Flameout, add whirlpool/steep hops, whirlpool stand for 15, drain to cube. Bang on 85 every time.

cheers

kirk

When I began using cube hops I just reduced the early boil additions slightly. I also reduced the estimated IBUs in those pale ale brews from 38-40 down to around 33-35. So now I have three late additions (10 mins, flameout and cube) but less overall bitterness, and it's definitely improved the outcomes. APAs and the like are the only style I use cube hops in.

Archived