Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

G'day guys & gals,

Happy New Year to you all!

From the humble beginnings that our ol' Canuck mate started, I felt it only right to continue his brew day thread legacy again here on the forum.

After 725 posts and 22246 views the 2017 Brew Day!! thread certainly continued to hold interest for brewers. Time for the 2018 edition.

Please, lets continue on for another year of laughs and learning from each other!

Here's a link to Brew Day!! 2017 for reference purposes.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a recipe to post soon as I'll be brewing next week, maybe even two brew days.

This past year's output has been less than 2016; I'm probably not drinking less but all the moving house and shit got in the way for a little while there and slowed things down. I brewed 383.5 litres in 2017 compared to 452 litres in 2016. We aren't moving at all this year so it'll be interesting to add it all up again in 12 months time and see whether the output is back to normal or not.

Cheers

Kelsey

First brew day of the year for me and I decided to make a NZ Golden Ale. I got the malt bill from the Gladfield website and used my own hop schedule. The recipe looks like this...

3.7kg Gladfield pale malt

530g Gladfield rye malt

180g Gladfield toffee malt

6g Warrior at 60 min

25g Riwaka at 10 min

25g Kohatu at flameout, 20 min steep

25g Riwaka and 25g Kohatu cube hop at 80°C

50g Riwaka and 50g Kohatu dry hop

WLP-001 from starter @ 18°C

When i transfer it from the cube to the fermenter, ill post it in the "Whats in your fermenter 2018" thread with all the stats. It probably won't be for another week yet because i only made the yeast starter today. See what happens

Cheers

Rowbrew

A slight retrospective but I brewed just before Xmas and kegged in January when I got back home from Adelaide. Did a summer ale with 50g galaxy in the whirlpool and another 50 in the kegmenter when I dropped the hot wort. Turned out a lot more bitter than hoped. Next time will do all the galaxy in the keg. I also dry hopped 100g on day 3 of fermentation.

Funnily enough, my neipa ended up dropping out clear but this seems to resist dropping out at all, even after 10 days of cold crashing at 2.5c. Seems I may have found a nesa?

5CXKT8.jpg

Brewed about 500L last year - been quite the learning experience :)

Doing my house ale tonight: CCM IPA, with the OS Lager can as the base for the recipe.

Will be making all hop additions at 5 minutes, with a 15 minute steep.

Citra 40g, Chinook 20g and Mosaic 40g

Will dry hop Citra, Cascade and Mosaic 25g each on day 5

Also having a bit of a go at the Yorkshire Square, but using the OS Lager instead of Sparkling ale, and only EK Goldings hops.

LHBS got me EK Goldings instead of Styrian, so will go with that as well.

50g at 5 mins then dry hop 25g

300 g of caramalt, thinking o f putting a smidge of chocolate in maybe 50 or 100g..

Had to ditch my harvested West Yorkshire yeast, so will be using Nottingham.

Hope it turns out nice and malty

Cheers

James

Had an afternoon at home this week so I got mashing while tidying the yard, playing with the kids and BBQing a couple of chooks and a pork belly on the mini spit.

Take 2 of a Ben10 inspired Galaxy Pacific Ale. My last attempt had a harsh bitterness that I can attribute to Galaxy held hot for too long (no chill) and hops that were not fresh. v1 was 50g at flameout and 50g dry.

Take 2 had the same malt bill (2.7kg pale malt, 1.8kg wheat malt), but this time I did 25g Galaxy at flameout with a 5min whirlpool. First time trying a cube hop, 25g Galaxy. I chilled the cube as quickly as I could with 5kg of ice in a water bath slurry to try and get it below 80C to limit the bitterness extracted while the cube was still hot.

Pitched the next day with K-97 German Ale yeast, 1 packet rehydrated. It was off and running with a 5mm krausen at the 15hr mark. Will keep you posted how this one presents and if I have finally nailed a good Galaxy Pacific Ale quaffer to share with friends at a summer BBQ

I started a Coopers Stout a couple of days ago' date=' the weather is starting yo heat up but the old wet towel trick and fan systems to be doing the trick [/quote']k

The SG is already down to 1005, I had a taste and it's good. I read some old threads and decided to let it sit in the FV for an extra week before I bottle

Will keep you posted how this one presents and if I have finally nailed a good Galaxy Pacific Ale quaffer to share with friends at a summer BBQ

Will be keen to see how this one turns out for ya jools. Good luck!

By the way, for what its worth, when i did my NZ Golden Ale, (above) i was curious about how long it took to get to 80°C, so i decided to test it out. I went flameout with 20 min steep, then i whirlpooled and 15 mins later it reached 80°C then i transfered on top of the cube hops. I will also let you know how it turns out.

Cheers

Made up a saison today using a bunch of Rye and Pacifica hops for something different. I killed my brew fridge a few months ago so I am doing a saison at ambient here in Adelaide. After a few days I am going to rack off half of the wort (5L) onto a kilo of strawberries to see what happens.

1.4kg Pilsner malt (51.8%)

0.7kg Rye malt (25.9%)

0.45kg Vienna (16.7%)

0.15kg Carahell (5.6%)

15g Pacifica (kiwi hallertau) at 60 mins for 18.2 IBU

15g Pacifica at flame out for a 20 minute steep

11L into the fermenter

Yeast is Mangrove Jack's M29, French Saison. I wanted to use Lallemand Belle Saison but the LHBS was out.

I have a US-05 2 litre starter that's well on the go after getting it together before work around 3.30pm yesterday. Looked good when I arrived home from work around 12.30am & continued the shake & swirl method.

After a chat with a few here on the forum & a bit of banter, a resinous beer is aimed at here. After a further chat with another brewer while visiting my LHBS, I've altered my original hop configuration so that the beer is not only outwardly resinous, but has some other dimensions & is hopefully enjoyable too. happy

"The Resinator" Pale Ale (v1.0):

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 600gms

Coopers Ale Malt grain 500gms

Munich Malt grain 300gms

CaraBohemian Malt grain 250gms

Wheat Malt grain 200gms

Dextrose 100gms

Mt. Hood 35gms @ 60mins

Amarillo 20gms @ 15mins

Cascade 20gms @ 10mins

Amarillo 20gms @ 5mins

Mt. Hood 30gms @ flameout/steeped

Bravo 20gms @ flameout/steeped

Columbus 20gms @ flameout/steeped

Simcoe 30gms @ flameout/steeped

Bravo/Columbus/Simcoe/Mt. Hood 30gms each dry hopped

Chinook 15gms dry hopped

OG = approx. 1.052

FG = approx. 1.013

EBC = 17.2

IBU = 42.1

Kegged ABV = approx. 5.2%

With these outwardly resinous beers it pays to create a very forward malt bill to compliment them. Generally these types of resinous characters are created in IPA territory where a lot of malt & increased ABV% accompanies this hop character. I hope my lower ABV% & thought about balance works. unsure

It's my biggest ever hopped beer. I have an overflowing fridge full of hops atm so I may even up the dry hop later. wink

I'm salivating just thinking about it once it's in the glass.

Cheers & good brewing.

Lusty.

Will be keen to see how this one turns out for ya jools. Good luck!

By the way' date=' for what its worth, when i did my NZ Golden Ale, (above) i was curious about how long it took to get to 80°C, so i decided to test it out. I went flameout with 20 min steep, then i whirlpooled and 15 mins later it reached 80°C then i transfered on top of the cube hops. I will also let you know how it turns out.

Cheers[/quote']

Hey Rowbrew. I saw your post the other day but wasn't logged in on the phone. The NZ Golden Ale looks great! I have seen that recipe from the Gladfield site myself and did bookmark it to revisit. Hope it works out well for you, especially because you paid attention to the wort temp for the cube hop. Lots of hops in that beer too!

I have 250gm Riwaka so may do something similar when I get a free brew day. Thinking NZ pilsner or NZ golden ale would be a nice way to showcase the hop.

I look forward to hearing about your resinator Lusty. That's a good whack of hops too!

I noticed that you are mini-mashing with Coopers Ale Malt. I didn't realise it was available to us brewers yet. I'll have to source some to try it out.

I did a quick google search and looks like NHB have it for $70 a bag. https://www.nationalhomebrew.com.au/products/beer/grains-and-malts-bag-buys/coopers-premium-ale-malt-25kg-bag. This is the same price as the premium malts like MO and Gladfield so will be interesting to compare

Hi joolbag.

I look forward to hearing about your resinator Lusty. That's a good whack of hops too!

Yeah I accidentally added an extra 10gms each of Simcoe & Mt. Hood for the steep. Whoops! Ohh well' date='...more resin, what a shame! [img']tongue[/img] biggrin

I noticed that you are mini-mashing with Coopers Ale Malt. I didn't realise it was available to us brewers yet. I'll have to source some to try it out.

I posted over in the Coopers in-house malting thread the day I purchased some of their malted grain. In my situation I won't notice the full benefit of the malt with my partials/mini-mashing but am happy to be supporting the local economy.

One thing I did note was that the malt smelled very nice & appeared very fresh. cool

I'm still hangin' on a bit more data to be released on the grain range so that I can better select & use them with my brewing.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Benny's Big Red Rye IPA today.

Hopefully it gets that big red colour I've been chasing.

Let me know how you go!

Yeah will do Ben. I’ll cold crash when I get home from work and bottle 6 days after.

Hoping that’ll clean up enough to give it that nice clear red hue.

Anyone used Wyeast 1450? My first liquid yeast try out, so will try to save and repitch this bad boy.

Planning a brew day tomorrow, which will be another batch of my red ale recipe. This time I'll be using my own home grown Cascade flowers in the brew.

Batch Size: 25 litres, brewhouse efficiency: 75%.

Water and Treatment

36.00 l Brisbane Water Water 1 -

4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

2.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

Grains

4.000 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 86.6 %

0.300 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 5 6.5 %

0.200 kg Carapils (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 4.3 %

0.070 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 7 1.5 %

0.050 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (4.5 EBC) Grain 8 1.1 %

70 minute mash at 67C, followed by 15 min rest at 72C then mash out.

Hops

20.00 g Cascade Flowers {5.00 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 10.3 IBUs

11.00 g Hallertau Magnum {10.50 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 11.4 IBUs

20.00 g Centennial {10.00 %} - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 12.0 IBUs

75 minute boil

Yeast

Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale 10th generation, fermented at 18C.

May do a dry hop with some of the Centennial in place of the Cascade but haven't decided yet.

The Stats

Est Original Gravity: 1.0434 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.0127 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %

Bitterness: 33.7 IBUs

Est Color: 31.9 EBC

Cheers

Kelsey

RDO and it's on.

Koma Rakau

2.10 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 51.9 %

1.10 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 4 27.2 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 5 12.3 %

0.25 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 6 6.2 %

0.10 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 7 2.5 %

15.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

15.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.40 %] - Boil 7.0 min

15.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

15.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min

BRY-97 rinsed from the trub (500ml of slurry)

10.00 g Rakau (Alpharoma) [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

10.00 g Riwaka [5.25 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

A step in a new direction for me! My first go at a Gose. Details on the style in the Gose thread.

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.00 l

Post Boil Volume: 26.18 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 22.90 l

Bottling Volume: 21.20 l

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG

Estimated Color: 6.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 12.0 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes