Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

14 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I put this down today. I was going for an OG of 1.044 but got 1.050, due to the scale shutting off once and my son "helping" me once, but it is all good. The bitterness was affected dropping from 30.4 to 28ish but that should be barely detectable. Might see how the fermentation goes and try to have this on tap by the 25th...we will see, it will be green but brulosophy does it so...yeah it will be green but hopefully should be drinkable. My Cousin in law is a new brewer so I want to show him this batch but if not we will have the remnants of the ginger beer left.

Looks like a very nice beer on paper Norris. Nice hop types & the right types at various points.

As far as "Brulosophy" goes, use it more as a reference point rather than a bible for brewing (IMHO). Much like the practice of "brainstorming", derive your information from as many sources as you can for the area you are interested in, then draw your own conclusions & best approaches moving forward.

That obviously goes for anything I say as well. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree Lusty, I think when they constantly show a 14 day turnaround from grain to glass it gives the wrong perception to brewers. I am hoping for the fermentation to be done in 8 days. 5 days at 18c and then 4 days at 22c, during which I will dry hop around day 2 or so and then cold crash for 4 days. It wont be as good as it would be with 2 more weeks but life gets in the way sometimes.

I use them, here and 1 other secret source for most of my brainstorming. I take most things with a grain of salt and try to use my experience and research to decide whether or not it is BS. But even if most of the advice or article is crap there has to be something good to take from it, so I try to incorporate what is good practice and good ideas in what I do. But yeah I def hear you.

Cheers

Norris

Hi Fellas,

CORN WARRIOR 

3Kg Gladfields Light Lager Malt

0.6Kg Flaked Maize

10g Warrior @ 60

19L

US-05 @ 16C

OG1040

IBU 18

Will ferment @ 16 for 2 weeks, CC for 1 week and then transfer to keg and Lager under serving pressure for 2 - 4 weeks. I took this same approach for my Partial Mash take on the Coopers Artisan Reserve recipe.  Had a taste today (2 weeks largered in keg) it was great. Should be bang on for Xmas.

Cheers,

Dave.

9 minutes ago, Koo wee brew said:

Hi Fellas,

CORN WARRIOR 

3Kg Gladfields Light Lager Malt

0.6Kg Flaked Maize

10g Warrior @ 60

19L

US-05 @ 16C

OG1040

IBU 18

...and I had such high hopes for you Dave! 😜

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

4 minutes ago, Koo wee brew said:

...Sorry to disappoint.

You rarely do. I view your recipe listings regularly.

I'll let this one slide. LOL 😜

Cheers & good luck with the brew. Would be much better brewing it with a true lager strain.

Lusty.

Just took a sample of the, rye old 100 year Amarillo pale ale I am brewing, wow. Tasty and smells nice. I usually dont worry about samples and how they taste, unless it is really bad or unexpected and this was unexpected. I could pick up the crystal from the rye extract, slightly, while also noticing good color and a nice malty backbone with good bitterness. It was nice. Looking forward to this one. Gravity was at 1.012ish, the temp will go up at 6pm tonight to 22c for 3 days to clean it up and then cold crash for 4 or 5 days then keg and carbonate. I will dry hop 2 days before the cold crash with 50g of Amarillo and centennial until I keg it.

Norris

Nice recipe Captain.You weren't kidding about combinations, I count 4 hops, well 5 with bittering. They all would work well together, I like the nelson sauvin dry hop, good touch that will bring something extra to the table. I also really like mosaic and I pick up some dank from it. I think this is going to be a top notch brew. 

What do you think of the chico strain? I have heard it is clean and has great hop character. Ever used the San Diego strain? I heard it is similar but also allows the malt to come through and make the same beer seem more balanced. What do you pick up from the chico strain? Does it floc well?

Cheers

Norris

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

What do you think of the chico strain? I have heard it is clean and has great hop character. 

Chico strain???

ive re-used white labs 001 for 4 beers now and the same for 1056. I’m finding for whatever reason that the 1056 behaves better. The 001 could be slightly infected. I won’t be using again.

i haven’t used the super yeast yet but want to. I preferred some and it never turned up. I’ll get onto that in a few months. 

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

The white labs 001 California ale yeast is sometimes known as the chico strain because of it use in Sierra Nevada brews, is what I know about them.

Oh right. Yeah it’s a good yeast. I’ll get another batch and keep using but 1056 has been more predictable but I think it’s just because the 001 may be contaminated 

Hahah no I have never used US-05, luckily for my battered ego!  But I actually never knew that! I had heard that mangrove Jack's M44 yeast is also the same, I have used that one. I remember it being aggressive and I think starting in around 10 hours and finishing fast to, but my notes say I kept it in for 12 days, so who knows.

On another subject has anyone used Tomahawk hops? I was going to use Columbus hops in a brew but ran out and tossed in the Tomahawk hops, did I ruin it? Hahahahah!

Cheers

Norris

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

001, 1056 and us-05 are all the same strain Norris.

Worth reading this thread right through https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=31732.0

Genome sequencing has shown that 1056 and WLP001 are in fact different. 

Cheers, 

John

Archived