Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

I sampled the gluten free ginger saison I brewed for my sister last night. It is really tasty! The ginger has come into balance' date=' it is dry but with nice body and the water profile is nicely balanced. Great for hot weather! [/quote']

Hi John. Sounds interesting. Have you posted your recipe in another thread? If so, please point me to it. If not, could you please post it?

Cheers,

Christina.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please disregard the above post John. I found your recipe.

I see you used Clarity Ferm. I wonder what that stuff does to the flavour? Even it it affects the flavour in a negative way, it probably still tastes better than most gluten free beers made without it / the hard way.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina' date='

It tastes exactly like I would expect a gluten-full version of this beer to my taste buds. If I compared it to an identical beer fermented without Clarity Fermi, perhaps I would be able to tell a small difference, but I am doubtful.

John[/quote']

That is cool.

It seems almost too good to be true, that it would make beer brewed with barley or wheat perfectly safe for people with celiac, and taste the same, but I take your word for it. The wonders of science.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hey Christina, maybe track down the Basic Brewing Radio podcast (9/4/14) on Clarity Ferm experiments to hear their findings as well.

My sister didn't come out in a rash either, so the gluten reducing part works great! And this was 50% wheat which is normally a nightmare for her.

Cheers,

John

I sampled my Session Ale last night (formally Double R). When I moved the keg from the conditioning fridge in the garage to the kegerator in the family room it got stirred up and was very soup like on the first pour so I left it till last night.

Wow, this one is so good that I am changing the name to Hop Fusion. This is the first time I have used Riwaka and Rakau so I have no idea what each brings to the beer on its own. However the combined result it amazing, a big fruity hit and being a session IPA I'm left with a lingering fruity bitterness that lasts for ages after each mouthful.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Well I am just a humble ol' kit brewer, but I can make some pretty good beer as far as my taste is concerned, as I have mentioned before, I like to keep my brews to a mid strength these days and I generally make real Ale with 500gm LDM, I have recently been late hopping with about 12gm Citra which I am quite happy with. However,I have started to get a little adventurous of late and late last year I made a pale ale with harvested Coopers yeast , 12gm Citra and 500gm LDM which I am currently drinking, very nice, in fact I am about to go and put another three longnecks in the frige and put another pale down, although I don't have any harvested cooper yeast at the moment so I will just go with the supplied yeast as a comparison.....biggrin

I do make toucan stout and dark ale for winter drinking and have a good stockpile of that waiting....

...Wow' date=' this one is so good that I am changing the name to Hop Fusion. This is the first time I have used Riwaka and Rakau so I have no idea what each brings to the beer on its own. [/quote']

If you do a single hop brew with each you'll know what each is bringing to the table.

I'll save you the trouble though, it's the Riwaka. It's an awesome hop! love

Glad the beer turned out well.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Well I am just a humble ol' kit brewer' date=' ....[/quote']

Hey Ross

Personally I see no problem with that. I vary in my postings re my brews, sometimes I just talk about the hops as I don't want any brewer here thinking you have o be AG to make a decent beer. I believe everyone should be allowed to progress at their own pace and to suit their own needs, and residing where they feel comfortable.

Apart from my dear forum friend Lusty I have not, in my memory at least, told anyone that they should be brewing AG.

Lusty though is a fence sitter and deserves it, even though he also is a very accomplished kit brewer turning out very good beer.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

...Wow' date=' this one is so good that I am changing the name to Hop Fusion. This is the first time I have used Riwaka and Rakau so I have no idea what each brings to the beer on its own. [/quote']

If you do a single hop brew with each you'll know what each is bringing to the table.

I'll save you the trouble though, it's the Riwaka. It's an awesome hop! love

Cheers,

Lusty.

I'll take your word for it Lusty. It is a complex beer with lots of fruity notes blended together. I'd post a pic, however it isn't appealing as I left out the Whirfloc and it is very cloudy. I have another cold crashing, well attempting to its probably 52 degrees inside the garage at the moment, and I have more hops to do a third. Like you though today isn't the day for it as its pushing 40 in the Valley of Love today.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Drinking a Pacific Ale where I boiled 50g of Galaxy for 30 minutes instead of adding the flameout dose.

REALLY nice now' date='[/quote']

Is that this brew? unsure

If so, you claim to have steeped/whirlpooled the Galaxy in this brew, not boiled it?

If in fact you did boil it instead of steeping/whirlpooling it in that recipe, I admit I am a little surprised some level of that harsh tone didn't surface by using it around that timeframe in the boil at that wort gravity. I admit I don't know the exact flashpoint of Galaxy in the boil where this trait flairs up, but I'm not going to be using it beyond 20mins in the boil in any brews I make.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 3 weeks later...

If in fact you did boil it instead of steeping/whirlpooling it in that recipe' date=' I admit I am a little surprised some level of that harsh tone didn't surface by using it around that timeframe in the boil at that wort gravity. I admit I don't know the exact flashpoint of Galaxy in the boil where this trait flairs up, but I'm not going to be using it beyond 20mins in the boil in any brews I make.

[/quote']

Yeah, I threw 50g in FWH for 30 minutes then 50 in the cube.

Harsh but mellowed.

Drinking now a session ale that worked VERY well.

Idaho 7 and Nelson, 4% and 35 IBU

Cheers Ben. I love it but my wife can't drink it. She says she tastes too many flavours in it biggrin

I'm curious about Aramis, what do you make of it? I've got some on the way, trying to work out what to do with it. Was thinking a hefe, for bittering and a smallish flame out addition. Or even another new world pils (French this time).

Cheers,

John

I'm curious about Aramis' date=' what do you make of it?[/quote']

Dunno. I was given some so have just been using it wherever, looks like I have used it mostly in saisons and it works well for that.

"It is sweet and spicy, citrusy and herby." <<< that describes it well.

Drinking my usual IPA with Citra, Cascade and Mosaic, it is nice but think Its a little bit sweeter than normal.

Bumped up the cararye to 300g instead of the normal 200g, and only did a 7 min boil instead of 10 mins.

Could be the Briess Vienna LME is sweeter than Coopers LLME too.

Think I will put the Cararye back to 200g and do at least one of the hop additions at 10 mins.

Used 110g of hops all at 7 minutes, so wasn't expecting massive bitterness but the Ian H xls said it would be 55 IBUs

Very tropical aroma and flavour maybe just missing something, maybe a Piney hop like Chinook or something, still early days yet.

Also drinking my usual ESB but think this time is my best yet.

Used the Coopers APA can, Briess Munich LME, 500g DME, 100g of Choc malt, 400g of Crystal malt and 50g of Willamette, boiled for 7 minutes.

Thought the 400g of Crystal would be too much, somehow it isn't, it's bang on where I wanted it nice and malty but the Willamette coming through with the goods to balance it out nicely.

Bloody lovely!

Think someone said Willamette is like Styrian Goldings and this brew does remind of the Coopers EB can a fair bit.

Will defo be doing this one again, might mix it up with Fuggles to see how different the hops are..

Yum

Cheers

James

Gday all,

I tried one of my Funky Town Saisons earlier this evening, and i have to say that i am quite pleased with it. Its only early days yet at only 11 days in the bottle, but i am hopeful, and with an ABV of around 7% you sure can feel it

Cheers!

Gday Rowbrew

Glad your funky town turned out pleasant.

Please let us know how this ages. If you can let it age a little.

My first riwaka saison I couldn’t help but drink it was amazing. But lasted 3.5 months in the bottle.

I did not notice any change to it what so ever. The next saison (Nelson) I will definitely save a few for 6 months and see what the difference is after that.

Cheers and happy brewing

Captain

Currently drinking this hybrid dry enzyme beer I brewed recently. It's slightly sweet to the taste with that unmistakable dry finish only the enzyme provides. It's quite palatable, but weird at the same time.

Would I brew this exact recipe again? No. Was it worth brewing? Hell yeah! Learned a lot & know I can now control dry enzyme to suit my wants & needs.

For an extract based brewer, I feel the enzyme could be useful in some situations. As PB2 mentioned in another thread, extract based brewers are not able to control the base malt enzyme that All-Grain brewers can with temperature adjustments during the mash to impact on fermentability.

It would require a more friendly yeast to reduce overall sweetness, but a yeast that shows some friendliness to malt character that it won't allow the dry enzyme to strip too much of that from the final beer flavour.

Sorry, I'm ranting. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived