Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

On 6/11/2018 at 7:49 PM, Koo wee brew said:

Had a few tonight;

Bootmaker Pale Ale, 2Kg Gladfields American Ale malt, 300g Rye malt

25g Cascade @ FO, 25g Cascade when the wort hit 70 C for 20mins, 25g Centennial @ dry

US-05 @ 18C, 23 L 

4%ABV, 35ish IBU

Citrus, Piney aromas and flavour. Nice lingering bitterness. 

In fear of sounding like someone, My best brew yet! ?

I'll  post a pic once it carbs up a bit more. I think the extra stuffing around with doing partials is paying dividends. 

Cheers,

Dave

IMG_2049.thumb.jpg.d9dd27320a764136f8bdf4f614f87af5.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I’m having a couple of Saisons tonight. This keg has lasted a while, not because it is bad but at 8% abv it packs a punch. Or maybe I’m a lightweight.

It still tastes fresh though.

That’s a massive saison hairy...... was that intentional?

Yeah, I was aiming for 7% but it finished a little lower than planned and was closer to 8%.

I don’t what it is but I can drink a few 8% IPAs and be fine but a couple of these hit me. Maybe it is the yeast.

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

And how is it Scottie? And not just because you haven’t had a beer for 5 days. Obviously the hop flavours have subsided? And is it slightly oxidised?

long beer storage fascinates me?

Captain

Perfect seal on both the stubbies and the longnecks. No hop flavour from the Nelson, all malt with caramel notes and there is still some healthy bitterness. Apart from the caramel the flavour from the malt along with the bitterness is unique. Unique as in there are no other beers, other than aged home brew from my LHBS guy, that taste like it.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

My favourite winter Hop flavours are earth, spice, pine and grapefruit, so I enjoy the warmth and freshness they add to a bigger brew. In this case, ‘My’ English IPA, kit’n’bits beer developed on IanH’s spreadsheet.
Hardly a malt/hop balance, it leverages the flavours I enjoy this cold winter season.

•    1.7kg Coopers Real Ale
•    2kg Liquid Light Malt
•    300g Caramunich2 @30m Steep
•    30g Challenger @ 15m
•    40g Fuggles commando
•    Nottingham rehydrated
IBU/EBC 42/21
1.057/1.014  ABV 6%, Bottled

After 12 weeks bottled in PET and Glass, (no difference to date) it is mellow and spicy, and the most complex tasting of my 50 brews. I enjoy it on a cold winters day, in front of the fire, watching footy on TV. 
The head laces down the glass and the longer it is left in slightly rising temperatures, the more intense the taste experience.

Cheers?

My latest Pale Ale - a partial made from an odd assortment of "left overs".

The grain bill was a 1.7kg can of LME, and a mash comprising 1.6kg Gladfield American Ale, 200g Supernova and 200g Medium crystal.   The hops were a crazy assortment of aged pellets and cones:  45g NZ Golding (60min), 25g Hallertau (10min), 50g Hallertau (whirlpool), 90g Perle cones (dry), 20g Citra (dry) and 20g Nelson (dry). 

It's absolutely delicious and sadly one I'll never be able to repeat! 

cheers!.JPG

6 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Early taste of an Irish Red.

Nice malt, raisin, raspberry.. cleansing bitterness... YUM

Colour looks good, & sounds very nice to drink.

I know it's early days, but the head could be a little fuller. It looks a little thin atm, but may improve with ageing.

Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use on this one?

Lusty.

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

but the head could be a little fuller.

Yeah, purely a result of how fresh the beer is I think.

WYeast Irish Ale. A phenomenal yeast. Appears to finish in 3 or 4 days.

Yep that looks like a great beer Ben. The colour is amazing and right on point for an Irish red.

I used the Irish ale yeast in my stout I put on 9 days ago. Got home from work last night, at first I was hoping it’ll be done but going by your comment saying it takes 3-4 days, it’ll for sure be done. 

Do you have any hop flavour coming through or is it malt driven?

Captain 

16 hours ago, BlackSands said:

It's absolutely delicious and sadly one I'll never be able to repeat! 

My last kit based beer was a “ leftover” beer, I quite literally I just threw the hops into the  boil at whirlpool. That’s all the info I remember because I took no weights, didn’t time it, took no notes on types of hops. I think it was a random blend of El dorado, cascade, Nelson, Mosaic and Riwaka. It ended up being the best beer I made and sadly never repeatable. 

Captain

Archived