Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Love the clarity of that best bitter there Blacksands. Great colour too.

Actually the clarity apparent in the pic is a bit misleading as the serving temperature is relatively "warm" which has the added visual advantage of no chill-haze!   I like drinking my bitters around the kind of temps they're often traditionally served at - maybe as low as 10ºC.   But with all my brews, once cooled down to 4ºC there's almost always a chill-haze.  

Opened my “godfather” pale ale with Simcoe and Columbus. The original version was the first all grain beer I ever did. This is the second version and I’m not going to change it. It’s perfect.

This one was cube hopped and had a heap of hop oil in the fermenter which got me excited. 

Now, I’ve produced some great beers but this would have to be the most balanced pale ale I have produced. 

Hop forward, got that real hop dankness to it. And it’s very moorish. 

Very happy with this beer. 

33A0CA2B-7AD2-46D2-B2A0-752A7EF3E4A9.jpeg

Congrats on the beer Captain! ?

I couldn't find a listing for the recipe. Did you flameout steep or dry hop with the Columbus?

I'm definitely a fan of dry hopping with this hop, but not much of a fan of long boiling it oddly enough though.

What are your thoughts on the hop?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

Thanks.

Considering Columbus is a all round hop supposedly I don’t think I’d use it for a long boil. In a relatively short boil it throws some  flavours I don’t really go for.

DDECB6B5-8BE5-4E53-9DD5-C6341F4716BC.thumb.png.71a9ca4c5cf7dbd53367414c9ff89788.pngMaybe a spice that doesn’t tickle my fancy, but in steeps and short boils I find that spice less agressive and compliments the Simcoe quite nicely. The Simcoe is throwing some citrus, after having a couple now I think it could improve by lowering the Columbus to Simcoe ratio a little as they are equal parts. 

It could possibly improve a little with the Simcoe forward and the Columbus just back a little but the combo is a winner in my book. 

And before you go on about the 8g of magnum, the LHBS didn’t have any pacifica. Ha ha ha. 

The 0 min steep are the cube hops at 82c

Cheers

Captain

033AF8C0-64A4-46F7-AF82-7D30449CCFDF.png

20 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Opened my “godfather” pale ale with Simcoe and Columbus. The original version was the first all grain beer I ever did. This is the second version and I’m not going to change it. It’s perfect.

Nice work Captain! I seem to remember one of the James Squire Hop Thief beers (the tastiest iteration I've had) being a Simcoe and Columbus blend. Looks like a nice recipe ... did you add the Caraaroma just for colour, or were you looking for a specific flavour from it?

Cheers,

John

14 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Nice work Captain! I seem to remember one of the James Squire Hop Thief beers (the tastiest iteration I've had) being a Simcoe and Columbus blend. Looks like a nice recipe ... did you add the Caraaroma just for colour, or were you looking for a specific flavour from it?

Cheers,

John

Yeah just for colour with the cararoma.

It’s added a little layer of sweetness though. 

Your right on the money with the James squire beers. The one I first looked into was the Hopfather and because I’m an idiot I thought it was called the godfather for months. None of my mates corrected me though

Only one beer kegged at the moment and it is my Golden Ale. It is fabulous which is a good and a bad thing - good that I have limited choice and bad that I am going to run out a lot quicker than normal. Time to self regulate, maybe become like a normal person and not have a beer during the week ?

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I have a beer every night, but I restrict it to one on weeknights. Anyway, no home brew on tap for the next three weeks or so, the Brown ale blew dry yesterday. Kegging a lager Tuesday then a red ale will be fermented and kegged and those two will be the next tap beers.

Cheers

Kelsey

Im awash with beer. Calypso pale ale now very drinkable. Put a American brown porter on tap yesterday which will be ready to drink on my next leave roster. Also kegged an american IPA yesterday which is sitting on gas at serving pressure at ambiant temperature. Following on from this will be the 2 pilsners currently in fermenters. This will take me to 5 of 6 kegs. The sixth keg normally i use for cleaning my lines.

Hey Scottie,

During the past month or so I haven't been drinking any of my beer from Sun to Thus nights. It's pretty good, although some days after a particularly long and busy day I feel like a beer while washing the dishes. None in the fridge though, so I'm out of luck. Then on Fri and Sat I'll have 2 or 3 (usually 3) beers. 

I do have about 5 cases of various different beers in the cupboard though, getting through them slower at a 6-pack a week. Esp this weekend given I've been sampling a few of the British beers at Aldi. Forgot it was a long weekend so no beer in the fridge for tonight. 

But need to build up stock for my brother in law's visit in Aug anyway, he'll get through a lot!

Cheers, 

John

Enjoying a few Coopers DIY Sparkling Ales from the keg this afternoon while the slow cooker has some Cuban Mojo Pork slowly cooking away. I lifted the keg & there's not too many pours left before it's empty. ? My other keg is empty atm, so probably time to start drinking the bottled brews I've amassed from what I couldn't fit in the kegs at the time over the last 6 months or so.

Making the effort to bottle a couple from each batch comes in handy every now & then. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Had a few tonight;

Bootmaker Pale Ale, 2Kg Gladfields American Ale malt, 300g Rye malt

25g Cascade @ FO, 25g Cascade when the wort hit 70 C for 20mins, 25g Centennial @ dry

US-05 @ 18C, 23 L 

4%ABV, 35ish IBU

Citrus, Piney aromas and flavour. Nice lingering bitterness. 

In fear of sounding like someone, My best brew yet! ?

I'll  post a pic once it carbs up a bit more. I think the extra stuffing around with doing partials is paying dividends. 

Cheers,

Dave

Enjoying a sneaky sample of my Coopers Fresh Draught this morning ?  Too wet for concrete here in Adelaide today. It was brewed as per recipe albeit using Lager yeast at ale temps. Can't notice any difference in flavours from being fermented at Ale temps than my last brew at traditional temps..

Still just under a month in PET, only very lightly carbonated but very tasty and the hop flavours are mellowing out slightly. Will need further ageing, it will be hard not to drink it sooner..  This photo is from the second glass of the bottle so slightly hazy.

Cheers, Lee

IMG_20180612_094738.jpg

11 hours ago, #granted+brew said:

Enjoying a sneaky sample of my Coopers Fresh Draught this morning ?  Too wet for concrete here in Adelaide today. It was brewed as per recipe albeit using Lager yeast at ale temps. Can't notice any difference in flavours from being fermented at Ale temps than my last brew at traditional temps..

Still just under a month in PET, only very lightly carbonated but very tasty and the hop flavours are mellowing out slightly. Will need further ageing, it will be hard not to drink it sooner..  This photo is from the second glass of the bottle so slightly hazy.

Cheers, Lee

IMG_20180612_094738.jpg

Since when is it too early for a concretor to have a beer. 

I use to love those beers once the crete is in. Start at 4 in the morning, beers by 11am while finishing off. Loved it.

looks good Lee glad it’s turned out well for ya. 

Archived