Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Yep you really need that malt to offset the bitterness too. I love a pale ale where it all comes together, when you need to think about each element because they are so balanced it’s hard to pick each part they are playing. 

Captain

Definitely. I've improved them a bit by going back to 300g medium crystal as part of the grist and increasing the mash temp to get a bit higher FG, but I feel the sulphate level in the water is too high. Perhaps a 50:50 ratio with the chloride would work better than higher sulphate.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on the NEIPA is that it is to be very low in the bitterness compared to a typical American IPA.

That’s where I’ll go with mine anyway. Low bitterness, massive hop flavour and probably a two stage all up dry hop if 300g

But like I say, more research needed here to see what Im going to do. 

Captain

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Definitely. I've improved them a bit by going back to 300g medium crystal as part of the grist and increasing the mash temp to get a bit higher FG, but I feel the sulphate level in the water is too high. Perhaps a 50:50 ratio with the chloride would work better than higher sulphate.

Cheers

Kelsey

I really need to get my water tested than see where I’m at at a starting point. It’s starting to get frustrating to be honest because I don’t understand what’s going on with my water.

Cheers

Captain

Don't remember if I posted this one or not but this is the northern English Brown ale/dark ale I brewed recently. I had tried it earlier from the few litres I put into the small keg, but the big keg is now on tap after it had a few extra weeks to condition further. It actually reminds me of a Tooheys Old but not as watery and with more malt flavour. Some light roast coffee along with chocolate tones. Smooth bitterness balancing the malts but no real hop presence, as was intended. The weather has cooled and come over with light rain now, probably not unlike the region it originated ? so it's rather enjoyable. It has improved from the mini keg portion, not heaps but noticeable.

IMG_20180526_141232.thumb.jpg.2f49ff24f0f844243075063e1b55dae0.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

What a busy day! Enjoyed an Aramis pils and an imperial American Brown with Centennial this evening. The pils is even better with an extra week in the bottle, a phenomenal beer. I think I had better buy some more Aramis, it brings a beautiful floral / citrus (lemon) / herbaceous hop presence and a firm, smooth bitterness (at 50 IBU for a 1.050 OG). At $9.95 for 225g from Brewman Dealz it is a great buy. Would be nice in a hefe, saison or pale Belgian beer too.

I won't be rebrewing the pils straight away though. Up next is a different type of hoppy lager with 80% pils malt, 20% rye malt and a healthy dose of Mosaic for the hop bill. A little unorthodox, but I think it could be nice.

Cheers, 

John

16 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Up next is a different type of hoppy lager with 80% pils malt, 20% rye malt and a healthy dose of Mosaic for the hop bill. A little unorthodox, but I think it could be nice.

Cheers, 

John

I use some rye malt in my Galaxy Kolsch that also has a lot of pilsner malt. It works really well I reckon.

That recipe should make for a very interesting beer John. I wonder what Kelsey will classify it as? ? ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

36 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I use some rye malt in my Galaxy Kolsch that also has a lot of pilsner malt. It works really well I reckon.

That recipe should make for a very interesting beer John. I wonder what Kelsey will classify it as? ? ?

?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Haha just don't try calling it any sort of pilsner. It won't be bitter enough for me to want to label it that anyway. I'm aiming for about 4.2% abv (1.037 down to 1.008 plus bottle conditioning) and 25 IBU (plus a bit from the flameout addition). My brother in law is going to have quite a bit of variety on hand when he visits early August!

Cheers, 

John

1 hour ago, porschemad911 said:

Haha just don't try calling it any sort of pilsner. It won't be bitter enough for me to want to label it that anyway. I'm aiming for about 4.2% abv (1.037 down to 1.008 plus bottle conditioning) and 25 IBU (plus a bit from the flameout addition). My brother in law is going to have quite a bit of variety on hand when he visits early August!

Cheers, 

John

John,

Thats awesome your gonna have a mixed bag for your brother in law. 

I enjoy people coming over to mine and I fill em full of quality beer that is much better quality than most of the stuff they normally drink

Captain

19 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Still don't understand why you don't consider pilsners to be lagers when they are. ??

It has nothing to do with any of that. It stems from what the O.P in that thread asked for. He asked for suggestions on a "lager" not a "pilsner". I respond to people based on their word, & not some improvised, interpreted tangent of my own on what was asked for or said.

Cheers,

Lusty.

It has everything to do with it. A pilsner is a legitimate style of lager so I see no problem suggesting it as a possible brew. You're about the only person in the beer world who for some crazy reason thinks that pilsners aren't lagers. And then you even point to the style guidelines that specifically state that they are lagers to try to back up your point, which only goes to prove you completely wrong on all counts.

They use pils/lager malt, they use noble hops, often use decoction mashes, they're fermented with lager yeast and then cold conditioned for a period of time after fermentation. Far more lager like than all these new world hoppy things that you seem to have no problem classifying as lagers*. Why you think that pilsners are somehow different from lagers when they're simply a sub category of them beats the hell out of me.

*I classify these as lagers as well due mainly to the yeast used which largely defines whether a beer is an ale or a lager but let's face it, they present more like pale ales in the glass.

Hey Kelsey, sorry I don't find hoppy new world pilsners present the same as pale ales. They tend to have a different base malt flavour, and the lager yeast strains present the malt and hops differently, as well as tending to produce less esters and a touch more sulfur. 

Yes they both have hops at the forefront, but the complete package is quite different. 

Cheers, 

John

I'm currently drinking my kit based version of the Coopers Sparkling Ale using re-activated yeast from the commercial bottles. Despite some unexpected hiccups during the primary ferment that I had to deal with, the beer has turned out well with the very noticeable Coopers Commercial Ale yeast trait on the nose & through the flavour profile.

The notion that the yeast impact on flavour in the final beer occurs within the first 3 days or so I would now say from experience, it does. At a point through the primary ferment this brew stalled, & another strain was pitched to finish off the ferment.

I normally drink Coopers commercial pale ale when I'm not drinking my home brew, & can guarantee this Sparkling Ale has the added malt flavour & alcohol kick above the Pale Ale I was looking for. The boarder that lives with me & also drinks Coopers Pale Ale also agrees.

For those kit based brewers out there, do yourself a favour & brew the Coopers DIY Sparkling Ale recipe using the re-activated commercial ale yeast. You'll be glad you did. ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Glad this one turned out for ya lusty.

My next kit brew will be one of these, when I get to brewing a kit again. 

Having to much fun with the urn at the moment. 

But really glad it turned out good and still had that noticeable CCA yeast traits, cause I was thinking you were going to get some Nottingham floating about on your palate. 

Cheers and brew well

Captain

It's a Tangerine Dream. Was put together as a Golden Ale but the settings on my Mill had slipped and my efficiency ended up poor at 66% resulting in an OG of only 1.034. Finishing below 1.01the Golden Promise is not making its presence felt. Luckily the Amarillo is shining, it's the Hero of this beer like I said a Tangerine Dream splashing on the taste buds from go to whoa.

Hero Hops in a Tangerine Dream

A base bitterness of 22 IBU

30g Amarillo @ 20 minutes

30g Amarillo @ 0 minutes steeped for 30 minutes

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Archived