Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

6 hours ago, Silmaril said:

As an example, I do a pale ale from the Aus Pale Ale Coopers kit, and have enjoyed dry hopping with Citra. With an alpha acid of 11-15%, how much would you use to add in a noticeable whack of bitterness to a 23l brew? 

I use IanH's spreadsheet to work this type of stuff out.

25g of Citra boiled for 15 minutes should give you 15 IBU's in a 23 Litre brew.  Added to the Aus Pale Ale's 18.5 IBU's should result in a beer twice as bitter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks!

If that means my fave kit the Aus Pale Ale has been made with only PoR, and I want to make it more bitter, do I:
A) Try and use something like PoR or Super pride in a hop boil, or
B) Take my good friend Citra who has given me great results in dry hopping, and use some of it instead in a hop boil?  

23 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Thanks!

If that means my fave kit the Aus Pale Ale has been made with only PoR, and I want to make it more bitter, do I:
A) Try and use something like PoR or Super pride in a hop boil, or
B) Take my good friend Citra who has given me great results in dry hopping, and use some of it instead in a hop boil?  

Hi Sil

You could do either. 

A)  PoR has lower Alpha so would need 25 minute boil of 25g to get the same IBU hit as the 25g of Citra.  I do not know about Super Alpha.

B)  You already know that Citra goes well with the Aus Pale Ale can, so it could be good to use it.  The 15 minute boil will get you some flavour additions too.  I would finish it off with a dry hop too as you have done before.

I lean towards B) over A)

Cheers Shamus

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Sil

You could do either. 

A)  PoR has lower Alpha so would need 25 minute boil of 25g to get the same IBU hit as the 25g of Citra.  I do not know about Super Alpha.

B)  You already know that Citra goes well with the Aus Pale Ale can, so it could be good to use it.  The 15 minute boil will get you some flavour additions too.  I would finish it off with a dry hop too as you have done before.

I lean towards B) over A)

Cheers Shamus

Definitely B over A.

As Shamus said, it is an opportunity to add flavour to the beer as well as bitterness.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:31 PM, porschemad911 said:

Brew with this next! I'm a big fan. Beats Belle by a large margin for me. 

Yep. Im going to grow a starter from tomorrow of 3726. Also a starter of 3724 and be134 combined. A double batch on saturday will be split into two and topped up. Will be looking forward to the taste test. The 3724 and belle blend came out very nice.  I suspect the new blend will be better then the last one or belle but will see how it compares to 3726.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 10:06 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I use IanH's spreadsheet to work this type of stuff out.

25g of Citra boiled for 15 minutes should give you 15 IBU's in a 23 Litre brew.  Added to the Aus Pale Ale's 18.5 IBU's should result in a beer twice as bitter.

Sorry to bump an old thread. @Shamus O'Sean I've started playing around with the IanH spreadsheet, and it looks like you didn't have the hop concentration factor enabled, to give a reading of 15 IBUs from 15 mins of Citra? When I enable the HCF, the added IBUs drop to 6.37. In hindsight I could have done a 6L boil instead of 2L. 

I am getting my head around the spreadsheet this time though, when I first looked at it, it was info overload. 

For the brew in question, I dry hopped it today with 25gm Citra and 20gm Simcoe. 

1 hour ago, Silmaril said:

Sorry to bump an old thread. @Shamus O'Sean I've started playing around with the IanH spreadsheet, and it looks like you didn't have the hop concentration factor enabled, to give a reading of 15 IBUs from 15 mins of Citra? When I enable the HCF, the added IBUs drop to 6.37. In hindsight I could have done a 6L boil instead of 2L. 

I am getting my head around the spreadsheet this time though, when I first looked at it, it was info overload. 

For the brew in question, I dry hopped it today with 25gm Citra and 20gm Simcoe. 

Hi Sil

Thanks for that.  The notes on the spreadsheet say selecting NO uses the Tinseth method for calculating bitterness.  Whereas selecting YES follows the Gareth method that it says takes into account the boil volume.  I will need to do some research into this difference because it has a pretty big effect on the bitterness result.

Cheers Shamus

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Sil

Thanks for that.  The notes on the spreadsheet say selecting NO uses the Tinseth method for calculating bitterness.  Whereas selecting YES follows the Gareth method that it says takes into account the boil volume.  I will need to do some research into this difference because it has a pretty big effect on the bitterness result.

Cheers Shamus

Definitely a big difference! Please don't take my post as a negative, without your suggestion I'd never have even tried doing a hop boil! 

I guess I'm one of the few brewers that never felt the need to download Ian's spreadsheet.  Heard it's a good tool like most spreadsheets but really enjoy going balls deep into a brew awaiting the results which iv found at least 95-99% effective which I guess why craft beer is so popular.

58 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Definitely a big difference! Please don't take my post as a negative, without your suggestion I'd never have even tried doing a hop boil! 

No offence taken.  I appreciate that you have looked into the spreadsheet harder than me and revealed a feature I did not know about.  All good.

At worst my misguided advice might mean you end up with a beer not quite as bitter as you had hoped.

As Smashed Crabs says craft beer is about taking some risks.  You might just produce a doozey of a beer half by accident.

Cheers Shamus

Archived