Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as this thread draws to a close for this year. Its time to do the thank you all. Without you all contributing to this forum we would all still be brewing mediocre beers not trying out some new stuff. Big thank you to coopers for providing this platform that we can all easily upload some fantasitc photos.

Thank you to all the new guys for joining this fantastic community and letting us share our knowledge to help you produce better and better beers.

Thanks to all the long term regulars. Without your valuable contributions i would still be brewing K&K brews with no changes to the directions supplied on the cans.

And you know what? there is no better bunch of guys and girls out there that take every question in there stride regardless how many times its been asked before.

Just want to wisk you and your families the best christmas and new year possible. Stay safe and continue to every improve.

All the best.

John

Bloody Awful Bitter!  Overdosed with a particularly nasty hop called Pacific Gem.  It's softened somewhat over the weeks and is drinkable, but it's not a hop I'll be using again anytime soon!  

Interestingly I brewed the same grain bill the following week... once I realised this was not gonna be my best effort. I still wanted a to brew a good example of the style, as I have done previously so this time I used traditional English hops - Goldings and Fuggles and finished with Bramling Cross.   Sadly, Bramling Cross was a mistake as it too has a rather excessive woody/earthy thing going on too... damn!  🙄    But that 2nd brew is still a much better drink that this one will ever be!   

AwfulBitter copy1.jpg

13 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Bloody Awful Bitter!  Overdosed with a particularly nasty hop called Pacific Gem.  It's softened somewhat over the weeks and is drinkable, but it's not a hop I'll be using again anytime soon!  

Interestingly I brewed the same grain bill the following week... once I realised this was not gonna be my best effort. I still wanted a to brew a good example of the style, as I have done previously so this time I used traditional English hops - Goldings and Fuggles and finished with Bramling Cross.   Sadly, Bramling Cross was a mistake as it too has a rather excessive woody/earthy thing going on too... damn!  🙄    But that 2nd brew is still a much better drink that this one will ever be!

It's all about experimentation as a brewer. I'd rather try something unknown & it fail somewhat on the expectation front, than have never tried it at all. That's how we learn & improve our future beers.

Given your liking for English style ales, if looking for a new English hop to try, perhaps give 'First Gold' a go. It has been a mainstay in traditionally produced British ales for decades & has some lovely traits if used wisely.

I hope the suggestion is of interest to you, & best of luck with your future brewing.

P.S. Nice beer pic again. 😉

Lusty.

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Ben

Looking forward to doing some brews with these hops soon.  I have 400g of each.

Cheers Shamus

I borderline didnt mind the Furphy stubbies i drank. The bottle-o offered me a discount so i took home a 6-pack. Quirky little thing going on with them. Interesting. Good luck with those shamus.

7 minutes ago, grogdog said:

I borderline didnt mind the Furphy stubbies i drank. The bottle-o offered me a discount so i took home a 6-pack. Quirky little thing going on with them. Interesting. Good luck with those shamus.

Thanks Grogdog

I do not mind the Furphys too much.  When the choice on tap is Carlton Draught, VB, Great Northern and Furphys, the choice is obvious.

I expect to produce some nice beers with the Topaz and Vic Secret.

Cheers Shane 

On 12/23/2018 at 6:51 AM, porschemad911 said:

No, I only went through about 5 gens with that yeast, but have brewed 17 batches once thus particular stout. Actually I was very sad to tip the last slurry out because it was fermenting really well and tasting great. But it was time to switch over to a lager strain. 

Yes, Voyager choc malt > Joe White choc malt but a fair margin. My LHBS guy says you get what you pay for with these 2 malts. 

Have tried Big Eye a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Hard to find fresh though! BentSpoke is probably my best bet for commercial IPA here in Canberra. Usually pretty fresh as they're brewed locally and Richard makes some pretty good beers. Have you tried any of those?

It's all pretty much too expensive for me though, so I get the fun of brewing my own! Well except Coopers, their scale and beer styles mean that the price is reasonable. 

Cheers, 

John

Gday John, Cheers for the info. Ive tried the barley griffin, I liked it.

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Grogdog

I do not mind the Furphys too much.  When the choice on tap is Carlton Draught, VB, Great Northern and Furphys, the choice is obvious.

I expect to produce some nice beers with the Topaz and Vic Secret.

Cheers Shane 

My local in sydney had Coopers Pale on tap for about 2-3 years before they got rid of it, but they still sold little creatures and sparkling stubbies luckily for me.

Then I moved and my local in QLD sold Coopers Dark on tap lol, as well as some other independent brewery beers, the publican refused to sell his taps to the big breweries. 

Coopers Dark Ale on tap is velvety chocolatey delicious. Lovely mouthfeel. 

My Random Tuesday Brew day featuring Galaxy and Ella has turned out bloody beutiful! The colour really represents the flavours and aromas of passion fruit / mango even and other tropical fruit. Was a little worried as it was my first Maxi BIAB effort but has turned out a real treat. 

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. 🎅

20181226_195747.jpg

Archived