Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

Having the last of my all-grain Coopers BES-inspired Stouts after getting my little boy fed, bathed and off to bed, then a bunch of housework. This was fermented with the CCA yeast and is from 17 batches back so would have been in the bottle for a while now. Very tasty, but I can't help think how much tastier it would be with some Voyager choc malt instead of the Joe White. Will have to culture up the yeast again come Autumn and do another few beers with it including another stout. 

I had a nice pint of Akasha IPA at lunch. That was really, really tasty, but lacked aroma. Strangely, last night I was having some Grant's Ale Cask finish scotch and it conversely had a wonderful malty aroma, but was lacking a bit flavourwise. Man I need to track down another bottle of Big Peat one of these days.

Cheers, 

John

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Having the last of my all-grain Coopers BES-inspired Stouts after getting my little boy fed, bathed and off to bed, then a bunch of housework. This was fermented with the CCA yeast and is from 17 batches back so would have been in the bottle for a while now. Very tasty, but I can't help think how much tastier it would be with some Voyager choc malt instead of the Joe White. Will have to culture up the yeast again come Autumn and do another few beers with it including another stout. 

I had a nice pint of Akasha IPA at lunch. That was really, really tasty, but lacked aroma. Strangely, last night I was having some Grant's Ale Cask finish scotch and it conversely had a wonderful malty aroma, but was lacking a bit flavourwise. Man I need to track down another bottle of Big Peat one of these days.

Cheers, 

John

Hi John, that sounds a nice way to end the day.

Have you had your CCA yeast around for 17 generations now? cool.

Do you mean voyager choc malt instead of joe white choc malt? Are we talking a difference in malt quality so far as you can taste the difference in your stout? I have noticed joe white is the cheapest malt at my LHBS and its the only one ive used so far. 

Have you tried a Big Eye IPA by ballast? i think you'd enjoy.

Cheers and happy holidays.

Well here is the supposed white lightning pils i did a few weeks ago. 2 weeks in fv at 10. 3 days at 16 with a 4 day cold crash before kegging. Keg was fast carb at 40 psi for 24hrs then sat at serving pressure for 4 days. Still cloudy as just moved from garage freezer to tap it. This one finished about 4 points higher and darker than expected. Taste, i can taste the 4 points, has a residual sweetness which im liking, balanced well with the mainly saaz hops 25g at 60 25g at 30. Hallertau 25g at 60. 30g saaz dry hop on day 10. This will be the main christmas brew with a PA and IPA as back up.

20181222_190333.jpg

I'm drinking one of the beers @Ben 10 sent down the other day, the brut IPA tonight. Quite a nice brew this one. Good amount of bitterness and fruity hop flavor. Dry. I tasted one at a beer fest recently but I think this one is better. Also head retention and lacing is good too, and I'm not using a nucleated glass. What's the ABV on it mate? If it's strong it drinks like a standard strength.

I'll have the saison tomorrow I think, don't want to fall asleep on the lounge 😜.

21 hours ago, grogdog said:

Hi John, that sounds a nice way to end the day.

Have you had your CCA yeast around for 17 generations now? cool.

Do you mean voyager choc malt instead of joe white choc malt? Are we talking a difference in malt quality so far as you can taste the difference in your stout? I have noticed joe white is the cheapest malt at my LHBS and its the only one ive used so far. 

Have you tried a Big Eye IPA by ballast? i think you'd enjoy.

Cheers and happy holidays.

No, I only went through about 5 gens with that yeast, but have brewed 17 batches once thus particular stout. Actually I was very sad to tip the last slurry out because it was fermenting really well and tasting great. But it was time to switch over to a lager strain. 

Yes, Voyager choc malt > Joe White choc malt but a fair margin. My LHBS guy says you get what you pay for with these 2 malts. 

Have tried Big Eye a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Hard to find fresh though! BentSpoke is probably my best bet for commercial IPA here in Canberra. Usually pretty fresh as they're brewed locally and Richard makes some pretty good beers. Have you tried any of those?

It's all pretty much too expensive for me though, so I get the fun of brewing my own! Well except Coopers, their scale and beer styles mean that the price is reasonable. 

Cheers, 

John

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

i believe it is rather strong, should be over 7%. thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it.

Dang 😂 no worries mate. Forgot to mention the carbonation was spot on too. I'll drink the saison later once we get home from whatever it is we're doing today. Sounds like one for not driving after 😜

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah. I have it in the glass now. Carbonation is fine, to my tastes anyway. Tastes like fizzy fruit juice, little bit of yeast funk but not dominating or overpowering. Overall quite nice. 

Got the lager going in tomorrow,  will have to bottle one and send it up once it's ready. 

So is Saison something that you could possibly be into?

36 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

So is Saison something that you could possibly be into?

It depends I guess. If the funk is in the background it's fine but I wouldn't like it as the dominant flavor, so fermenting them hot i.e. no temp control wouldn't work for me. Maybe a small batch every now and then while an English ale batch is fermenting for a little variety*, would bottle it. I just prefer the hops and malt to dominate over yeast derived flavors. It's the reason I don't like wheat beers either. 

*If the second fridge can fit a small cube or jerry as well as the usual 30 litre fermenter. I usually ferment English ales a tad warmer than usual. 

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It depends I guess. If the funk is in the background it's fine but I wouldn't like it as the dominant flavor, so fermenting them hot i.e. no temp control wouldn't work for me. Maybe a small batch every now and then while an English ale batch is fermenting for a little variety*, would bottle it. I just prefer the hops and malt to dominate over yeast derived flavors. It's the reason I don't like wheat beers either. 

*If the second fridge can fit a small cube or jerry as well as the usual 30 litre fermenter. I usually ferment English ales a tad warmer than usual. 

I actually prefer the yeast to be in the background too. Horse blanket and funk can take the back seat thanks. The cleaner varieties of Saison are sensational for that.

I temp control all my brews regardless of what’s in them. 

When the stocks are up, I then throw a brew in that is either experimental or a Saison. If it’s a Saison I’ll do two batches, cause my freezer fits two FVs, if it’s just another pale ale I’ll do one. Works for me.

Glad your not saying NO just yet. 

I just hope Bens lager doesn’t convince me to start doing lagers ha ha ha.

Maybe I should send you a bottle of my bohemian pilsner next time I brew one. 😂 The one going in tomorrow isn't my usual recipe, I used Hallertau for most of the hopping with Saaz only used late. Usually I use Saaz exclusively all the way through. 

But yeah, not saying a definitive no, Ben's saison was quite nice and I did enjoy it, but it's probably the sort of style for my tastes that would be an occasional brew rather than a regular one. 

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Tastes like fizzy fruit juice, little bit of yeast funk but not dominating or overpowering. Overall quite nice.

glad you liked it. and that was the idea. best fresh.

and don't worry @The Captain1525230099, that lager i sent is like megaswill, boring. i dare say @Beerlust's Enterprise Lager would be one to turn you.

Archived