Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

SIA is Springtime in Amarillo with WL Saison 2 yeast

@The Captain1525230099 .Beers from him. This one os very nice, some subtle hop flavour and really good saisoniness.  A leeetle funk, dry but malty, clean, fresh and fizzy. Thank you for the beer.

the other SC is Styrian Cardinal with Mangrove Jacks m29

was a funk party in my face. GLORIOUS

IMG_20181213_204752.thumb.jpg.a2d56d6e5f6c69358444bdd9fb8238a8.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

@The Captain1525230099 .Beers from him. This one os very nice, some subtle hop flavour and really good saisoniness.  A leeetle funk, dry but malty, clean, fresh and fizzy. Thank you for the beer.

was a funk party in my face. GLORIOUS

IMG_20181213_204752.thumb.jpg.a2d56d6e5f6c69358444bdd9fb8238a8.jpg

Glad you enjoyed them Ben. I think the Mj 29 is going to be a staple yeast for me. Sensational yeast.

23 hours ago, Beerlust said:

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/11537-brew-day-watcha-got-eh-2018/?do=findComment&comment=165893

Once you've re-activated the commercial strain & used it on a brew I wouldn't advise pitching onto the yeast cake more than once. It really invites off flavours & other problems into the equation for re-using the yeast. Piling up dead yeast on top of itself & other unfermentables such as hop debris & unfermented starches etc. is not advisable. Leaving beer in contact with dead yeast cells can develop off flavours such as "Mercaptan" (like rotting vegetables etc.) & is most unpleasant in beer.

18 Common “Off” Flavors In Beer (And How They Are Caused)

This current batch of CCA yeast I have will be a good test for me to monitor as I re-use. I know the smell of this strain very well, & am hoping I'll pick up any off traits at the starter stage if it starts to mutate before I ruin a batch by pitching it into a full brew. Time will tell on that one. Your LHBS guy seems to know what he's talking about. I use a pinch of nutrient in my starters as well.

The Otto man has an excellent process he has detailed here on the forum for re-using yeast via a starter method, & I would certainly have a read through that given the direction you wish to take.

Reusing yeast - the starter method

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Noted🤙 thanks Lusty. Ive printed off that recipe and will give it a go.

9 hours ago, grogdog said:

...Ive printed off that recipe and will give it a go.

Just be aware this brew is not modelled on anything commercially available (that I am aware of). It has some quite unique flavours & aromas that will not always float everyone's boat.

I really like it, but the next bloke may not.

If you do get around to brewing it, I hope you do. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

The outlaws asked me to a chrissy brew for them. I’m off to Ireland for the holidays but I said I’d grant them their wish. Threw down a hoppy pale ale. Coopers APA , 1.5 kilos DME , boiled and dry hopped with citra and Amarillo, 100 gms

i went all out and bought a case of stubby’s, a capper and even printed off some labels for them. I was astounded when I read about the milk trick for the labels. It actually works 

a lot of effort but feck it, it’s christmas

fruits of my labour 

7D4D3E5B-C331-4E53-A5A0-F1A44F693391.jpeg

I don't have anything on tap currently but I did keg my moteuka pale ale yesterday and we both had a taste from the fermenter. I think it's gonna be a nice beer once it's suitably carbonated. It's not a hop bomb but it is a nice easy drinking pale which should be a good beer for everyone who wants to try it. Didn't use any finings in it as I was too busy to bother, although I could add some polyclar to the keg I suppose.

Already got the keg fridge on and basically in its new permanent spot (which in time I'll be adding a bar to and a smallish TV to turn it into a bit of a man cave), so I'll bring the kegs around today or early next week and put that one in there on serving pressure so it will be ready for new year's. 

17 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

The outlaws asked me to a chrissy brew for them. I’m off to Ireland for the holidays but I said I’d grant them their wish. Threw down a hoppy pale ale. Coopers APA , 1.5 kilos DME , boiled and dry hopped with citra and Amarillo, 100 gms

i went all out and bought a case of stubby’s, a capper and even printed off some labels for them. I was astounded when I read about the milk trick for the labels. It actually works 

a lot of effort but feck it, it’s christmas

fruits of my labour 

@PaddyBrew2
Would love to know a bit more about what you did with the hop boil, it sounds like a beer I'd really like. 

Drinking my IPA, which came from the Brew A IPA can I asked about a while back that was out of date. Used S05 yeast in it. Guessing it's a tad darker than it's meant to be. Very nice to drink! Having had a few, I couldn't work out why they varied so much, couldn't have been that many from the absolute bottom of the fermenter. I think I've worked it out that this one tastes better when the bottle has been agitated somewhat, like the Coopers Sparkling commercial bottles. 

I didn't have the 1.5kg of light dry malt at the time, so I went with 1kg of LDM, and 1kg of Coopers BE3. Gravity went from 1.050 to 1.009 over 13 days in the FV. 🙂

20181216_151747.jpg

3 minutes ago, Silmaril said:

Drinking my IPA, which came from the Brew A IPA can I asked about a while back that was out of date. Used S05 yeast in it. Guessing it's a tad darker than it's meant to be. Very nice to drink! Having had a few, I couldn't work out why they varied so much, couldn't have been that many from the absolute bottom of the fermenter. I think I've worked it out that this one tastes better when the bottle has been agitated somewhat, like the Coopers Sparkling commercial bottles. 

I didn't have the 1.5kg of light dry malt at the time, so I went with 1kg of LDM, and 1kg of Coopers BE3. Gravity went from 1.050 to 1.009 over 13 days in the FV. 🙂

20181216_151747.jpg

One thing I don’t like about the IPA extract is the colour. PB2 says if the tin is fresh it won’t go that dark but every tin I’ve used has come out that colour despite having a long shelf life left. I’m gonna use the APA as my base from now on as it gives that great golden colour and also you can be more experimental with your hops as it’s not as pre hopped as the IPA 

5 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

every tin I’ve used has come out that colour despite having a long shelf life left

that is unfortunate.  I have an interesting memory of a mutual friend who won a HB Comp in Weipa with his brew "Black Death" which was just Coopers Lager badly oxidised he had purchased cheap on a sell-off... However, he had the best home made Beef Jerky at the time of judging of the social event due to outstanding quality Jerky and was the crowd favourite...  my belief is that the Concentrates are shipped all good... maybe we need to provide some feedback to the supply chain to make sure that our Kits are not allowed to get hot and oxidise in the back of trucks or warehouses... cos really they should be coming out unharmed after moisture reduction and concentration back in Adelaide!

On 12/16/2018 at 2:32 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

every tin I’ve used has come out that colour

it would be poor storage on the shops end you would think. there a a hbs in town that is fully exposed to the elements, more like a warehouse, it must get well over 40° in there.

Sampled a glass of my mead. Has dropped crystal clear now, looks like a young riesling. Tastes really nice actually, but could use some more time I think. Really interesting what fermentation did to the flavour of the honey though.

Will see what a couple of days in the fridge does to the other half of the bottle. 

4 hours ago, grogdog said:

Hows that John?

Hard to describe! Instantly recognizable as being from the same honey, but different. Not just less sweetness now most of the sugar is gone, but different flavours showing up too. The amount of aroma surprised me. I thought the fermentation process would strip a fair bit out (especially since it was fermenting for a couple of months) but it is really nice.

Archived