Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

John good to hear you have a session ale to balance out those three MEGA beers!

I am drinking a 7.25% saison at the moment. There is also a few bottles left of a 6.9% dortmunder export kicking around. Lucky I have a 4.9% gose to cut through them both!

Cheers Jools, I am enjoying my session ale by the half litre stein this evening. It is a great beer. As for improvements, I guess a deft touch of crystal malt wouldn't ruin it? Or maybe some flaked rye instead. But I am really enjoying it as it is. If Cooper's commercial version is this good then they are definitely on a winner (still haven't seen it for sale here in Canberra).

Cheers,

John

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny boy, I had a couple of those Coopers Sessions the other night and by golly they were nice. Tonight though, I have had a selection of home brewed beers...

Choice Bro! Golden Ale

Gails Pale Ale

American Amber feat. Mosaic

Bavarian Wheat

The Mostest Chap Mild Ale (which by the way I thought was pretty bad, turns out its not so bad)

Cheers!

Black and Tan

Approx 6 months ago, I put down a Toucan stout and a "Fresh Draught" (or close enough) as per PB2. Into a 10L keg I mixed 2/3 stout, 1/3 Draught. Carbed it up, and let it sit whistling

Have had a few glasses over the last week, what a ripper!! biggrin

The stout dominates, but no where near as full on as the Toucan.

It's gud

Cheers,

Dave

Black and Tan

Approx 6 months ago' date=' I put down a Toucan stout and a "Fresh Draught" (or close enough) as per PB2. Into a 10L keg I mixed 2/3 stout, 1/3 Draught. Carbed it up, and let it sit [img']whistling[/img]

It's gud

Cheers,

Dave

Nice one Dave.

I used to love a good coopers Black and Tan mid winter down the pub in Port Lincoln.

That’ll warm you from the insides.

Cheers

Captain

This one is my recent German lager batch. It's not as clear as I'd like but it also hasn't been in the keg as long as they usually get before going on tap either, despite being chilled the entire time from the beginning of the cold crash. In any case, it has turned out quite nicely, I guess you'd say typical Euro lager flavor but a bit more intense than the mass produced ones. It was hopped mainly with Hallertau Mittelfruh with a little German Magnum early to bump up the bitterness a bit more. This photo was taken on Sat 21/4. I haven't had much from this keg as I want it emptied after the pale ale in front of it for less faffing around when cleaning them tongue

1524543595_89_109.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

It seems more than a passing few of us are hitting home runs lately when it comes to appeasing SWMBO.

I got my partner into trying some decent commercial craft beers along with a few of my own not long after we met. Commercially she really enjoys Little Creatures Pale Ale & any beers I make that have a similar citrus tone.

She really likes my most recent FWH(30) Pale Ale that is currently on the pour too. happy

It's very satisfying sharing the fruits of your hard work with those that matter most to you. cool

Cheers & good brewing' date='

Lusty.[/quote']

So true Lusty. Despite 2 Infected batches, I wasn't giving the fermenter a good soak with starsan just spraying it, my tap had some gunk in it (what is the 1st rule good...sanitation!whistling) I have been kicking out some awesome extract brews. We had friends over to watch the Bulldogs lose to Fremantle and they tried the stepping to the A.M brew and straight up called it the best beer they ever had?!? I was surprised to say the least, the hop aroma had faded some but everything has seemed to meld together nicely after 3 weeks. I have it as #3 on my best brew list but it really motivated me to keep trying different things and to also say thank you to everyone on this site. I was making some howlers about 18 months ago and now I can pretty much figure out my mistakes and have built on them due to the key advice on here. I don't comment a lot but I read most everything and try to use it to improve and it has worked! But this is a journey and I I am pretty excited about the next destinations!

Thank you all again,

Norris

Enjoying a pint of this tonight:

Coopers Amber Ale

1Kg DME

50g Centennial (hot steep)

20L

MJ's Cali Common Yeast (re pitched slurry)

This is a great kit. Have done many variants of this recipe, usually changing the hops. It always turns out a winnerwink

Love the Cali Common Yeast in this one. It lifts the malt flavour compared to US-05.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Black and Tan

Approx 6 months ago' date=' I put down a Toucan stout and a "Fresh Draught" (or close enough) as per PB2. Into a 10L keg I mixed 2/3 stout, 1/3 Draught. Carbed it up, and let it sit [img']whistling[/img]

It's gud

Cheers,

Dave

Congrats on the pre-mixed Black & Tan. I really enjoy Black & Tan's during the winter months & my purchases of Coopers commercial Stout rises considerably during this time of year. innocent

I generally mix 50/50 as the stout is quite dominant.

I've been garnering thoughts of making the Coopers DIY: Best Extra Stout lately for just this reason.

A few of these along with my 2YO Blueberry Porters should go down well over the Winter months. You've got me seriously thinking about making this my next brew. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

There's no need to soak the fermenter in Starsan Norris, it's a contact sanitiser. Spraying it will do just as much as soaking it, and use a hell of a lot less in the process.

The key is to clean it properly with something else first, such as soaking it in sodium percarbonate or something, rather than rely on Starsan to do it all. wink

There's no need to soak the fermenter in Starsan Norris' date=' it's a contact sanitiser. Spraying it will do just as much as soaking it, and use a hell of a lot less in the process.

The key is to clean it properly with something else first, such as soaking it in sodium percarbonate or something, rather than rely on Starsan to do it all. [img']wink[/img]

+1

When cleaning up after kegging/bottling day, I hand clean my FV with a sponge using warm to hot water to remove the obvious physical matter, then rinse. this will include removing any seals & taps for inspection & further cleaning if required. Often a film can develop on the FV wall that your sponge can't remove, & a good soak in a sodium percarbonate based solution follows & soaks for a minimum overnight, & then rinsed.

On brew day, I spray the surfaces of my FV with StarSan & allow to air dry prior to filling with my brew day wort.

It's a regime that works well for me. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thank you for the advice. I have started using sodium percarbonate and removing all taps and seals. A soft sponge, sweet I was worried about scratching the fermenter. Yeah I thought I was using a bit, but man those infections sucked, I went full nuclear for the last 3 batches. I love this hobby, just when you get comfortable...but to be honest it was my own faulty regimes.

As always thank you,

Norris

I got home from work about 11.45 tonight, busy day, I went to my beer fridge for a beer. In there was my beers, coopers pale, Ashai and Heineken . I grabbed one of my dry hopped coopers pale ales and suddenly realised I actually prefer my beers over the commercial brews!

Hi guys.

I kegged & fast carbed this beer up earlier today. I've poured a couple & have come to a conclusion.

Personal preferences aside, I feel it's about as good a beer as I think I can make using my extract/partial methods for the American Pale Ale style. I'm very happy with it, & give it top marks on how I rate my own beers. happy

The reduced boiling of the traditional first wort hop method Christina first suggested, I feel works extremely well for this style of beer. cool Hats off to you fair maiden! smilewink

The beer can be improved in certain areas, but I consider those minimal improvements.

I will look to brew this beer again with some minor modifications including using a lager yeast strain that is what I am ultimately working towards in my own personal quest for my own "grail" beer.

Time for another pour. biggrin

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Thanks for the kind words guys. smile

It's a gratifying feeling to hit a formula that works very well. Very good 'bang for your buck' with the hop boil schedule that I'm most happiest about, as the flavour produced from just 60gms of hops I think is outstanding. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I am drinking a sparkling hop water/ soda /pop that I made. It is a small, experimental batch. I made it for my wife, who does not drink alcohol, but still wants to drink something grown up. She is not a fan of my hop soda but I quite like it. Apparently hoppy waters are all the rage in trendy American coffee bars. The only fermentable in it is the priming sugar, so it is only 0.5% ABV, and very refreshing. I used 2gm Centennial and 1gm Mosaic, which I hot steeped in a small amount of 50C water for 10 minutes, filtered out the hops, diluted to 4L, added 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice, a bit of non-fermentable xylitol sweetener, primping sugar, and yeast. No head or mouthfeel of course, but it is very refreshing, and low cal. I am going to make another batch, a larger one, but this time I am steeping the hops in a very small amount of vodka for a couple of days, to create a tincture. We will see how that goes.

This could really hit the spot on a hot summer day, and okay to drink at work.

Cheers,

Christina.

Tried a brown ale last night. This one has turned out much better than my attempt a few years ago. It needs more time for the carbonation in the keg to settle properly but otherwise it has turned out pretty much what I wanted. Nice malty brew, not too roasty and a dark brown color. The only thing I might do next time is increase the bitterness a bit more. It contains no late hop additions so it won't be too difficult with no-chilling.

I haven't got the full 19L keg on tap yet, this glass came from the 4-5 litres that went into the 10L keg, just put it on tap to have a bit more beer on tap while I wait for this pale ale to ferment. The main portion won't be on tap for another month at least so it should have plenty of time to condition further and improve even more.

Either way, I think this will be a reasonably regular brew over the cooler months, and a good way to use up the brown malt I have as it seems to have worked pretty well in the recipe. I guess I'll have to buy more of it when it runs out now tongue

Cheers

Kelsey

Hey Brew Dudes

I'm not drinking it now, last night but I couldn't get on the new forum to comment.

My Mo Hop Fusion, the bitterness has subsided a little, its clear and has a really good mouth feel. The NZ hops are presenting similar to Cascade. Makes me wonder, given that like most people Cascade is one of my favorites, why I bother trying any other hop that resembles it.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

Having a session ale I brewed.

Amarillo, Centennial and Nelson. 19 IBU, 4.5%, 289 calories for a 700mL.

Stunning beer.

Chad (Canadian Eh!L) first introduced me to this hop combo. He used Cascade instead of Centennial, but they are very similar.

That threesome does make an awesome flavour/aroma when grouped. ?

150 calories a stubbie won't knock the weight off too quick though! LOL

Glad you're enjoying it mate. There's still hope for you yet! ?

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Archived