Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2018?

Scottie

Hop Fusion

Another session IPA. Really good and getting better which means the Keg's about to blow pinched

I love 20 minute hop additions and the bitter fruit they add to these beers.

1520842342_6_930.JPG

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Captain and Ben,

Captain, i do plan to age it a little, i had another one yesterday and while it was nice, it had a slight sweetness to it and its not fully carbed i dont think. Time will tell and ill let you and everyone know how it goes.

Ben, no its not a yeast bay strain, I used WLP566 Begian Saison II. This year im trying to actually name my beers. I thought that Funky Town works for a Saison. I've also got "Choice Bro!" a NZ Golden ale, "The Modest Chap" English Mild and yesterday i made "Gails Pale Ale" with the help of my Father in Law, named after a family friend of my wifes who we recently lost to cancer

Cheers

I used WLP566 Begian Saison II.

Love that yeast.

I am drinking a simple saison, 33% each Ale, Munich, Rye. 22 IBU of Super Pride.

Lovely drop. White Labs Saison II I get a bit of orange from the yeast.

Drinking one of my pacific ales.

I ended up cold crashing this for about 12 days and it’s clear as........... well anything that’s really clear. And super bright really happy with this one.

Can’t wait to try the one with wyeast 1450

Cheers

Captain

Well just tried the same pacific ale with wyeast 1450.

I must say I’m a little disappointed.

It’s left the beer a little too sweet for my liking.

I might try the cleaner style liquid yeasts for the next batch and see how that goes compared to us05

Cheers,

Captain

Hi Captain.

Well just tried the same pacific ale with wyeast 1450.

I must say I’m a little disappointed.

It’s left the beer a little too sweet for my liking.

I might try the cleaner style liquid yeasts for the next batch and see how that goes compared to us05

I admit I have been interested to try Denny's home developed yeast strain.

Was it THIS brew you used it on as no yeast was listed for the brew? unsure

If it was' date=' what temp did you ferment at, & did you make a starter prior to pitching? [img']unsure[/img]

What were your OG & FG for the brew?

Interesting choice of yeast for that brew if it was the one you used it on.

I'll look forward to your response.

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

Yep it was that version.

OG: 1.048 FG: 1.010

Fermented at 19.

No starter as I thought the OG was small enough for the yeast to handle it.

The beer tastes ok, as in I can’t detect any off flavours, I think it was just wrong choice for style.

The US05 version is much better

Basically just having a crack at different yeasts and what goes better with what.

I think the 1450 will work in an American style pale ale or IPA. Just not a pacific ale where it needs to be clean and spritzy.

Probably use the white labs 001 or wyeast 1056 next time

Cheers,

Kirk

Currently have this little Pale Ale on the pour. It's very sessionable & I admit does remind me of good commercial beers of this type.

Lovely light to golden straw coloured. Excellent head development, retention & glass lacing. Nice aromatics & subtle hop flavours. I'm very happy with it, but will adapt a couple of things to improve it a little further toward my hop addiction liking's. wink

It's a beer I think my commercial beer swilling mates could guzzle down without hitting them too hard on the hop front. Very easy to drink. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the my toned down version of Benny’s big red rye IPA last night.

With the wyeast 1450 it’s very much like a hoppy Irish red, it’s a sensational beer.

I reduced the amount of black malt by 20% and the red hue is much closer to the redness I wanted.

The roast characteristics are still there which adds that dimension. I’m glad it’s still shining through as it’s a toned down version of the IPA it’s nice and balanced.

Chicken dinner on this one. I’ll be making this one on a regular basis.

Cheers

Captain

I have a couple of kegs getting ready to be tapped. One is a second incarnation of a pale ale I brewed with Centennial and Chinook hops, mainly to use up the Chinook. It featured a slightly different hopping schedule to the first batch. That one is just about to have its gas turned off (been on 45PSI since about 3pm yesterday), and I'll turn it back on at normal serving pressure tonight. By tomorrow it should be nicely chilled and carbed. It's been sitting in the keg for about 4 weeks so far, so hopefully the yeast has dropped out or close to it.

The other keg is a German lager brewed to a similar recipe to the batches I did about 5 years ago, but this time using Hallertau Mittelfruh instead of Hersbrucker, hopping to the high 20s IBUs instead of the low 20s, and fermented with Wyeast 2000 Budvar lager yeast instead of W34/70. A sample from the FV yesterday was tasting great, so I'm looking forward to it being ready to drink. That one had a quick spurt of gas yesterday, and will be put onto serving pressure tonight along with the other keg, and it will carb up slower on that pressure, partly because I don't need it pouring straight away and partly to give it a bit more time lagering before I do start drinking it.

I'll post a pic of each one when I drink them in the coming days/weeks.

Cheers

Kelsey

I have been sipping on a pear cider from mangrove jacks, which I made pretty dry and crisp by reducing the sweetener added, it is nice. But my favorite is the blonde ale I made with 0 hops added during the boil, stepping to the A.M, the name pays homage to 3rd bass and the use of Azacca and mosaic hops. It has good head and lacing, I used 250g of carapils. Next time I would either add some caramalt or crystal, something to add to the complexity and offset the bitterness or keep it the same but reduce the IBUS to 21ish, I love hops but not the bitterness, 28ish is good but 21ish, for my tastes, would make it spot on. I got the idea from Ben 10 and Beerlust, but missed an early reference by Christina, I think I referenced that well enough to give credit to all parties and how I came to brew it. joyful

It tastes good, def one of my top 3 brews ever. I have some warrior hops to use but after that I don't know if I will ever do a boil longer than 15 min, using extract that is. I guess I should make a few more beers and adjust the schedule to get 60 to 80% of the IBUS upfront and then see how I like it...hmm We will see, but for now I like it and it works great.

Norris

This one is an American pale ale with Centennial and Chinook hops. I'd brewed a pale ale with these two hops previously but this one had a revised hopping schedule that also included a cube hop. That along with reducing the IBUs a bit has seen an improvement in my pale ales, they're more enjoyable with these small changes. This beer had been kegged for about 4 weeks before I chilled it and carbonated it over a couple of days; this glass poured a few days later (yesterday). Decent hop flavor and aroma still there, so it shouldn't change much over the next 2-3 weeks or however long it takes to empty it.

1523850865_8_938.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Looks good Kelsey.

I’ve been waiting to see how this one was going to turn out.

Glad the new hopping regime worked out.

I too am going to cube hop my next pale.

Unfortunately my son was crook this week and had to look after him so I didn’t get around to brewing.

Cheers

Captain

Drinking a leftovers ale with oats in it.

Best move I have ever seen for a bug fluffy head.

+1

I do like oats for that aspect. I must get back to playing around with them in my Coopers Pale Ale clone as the creaminess from the oats + the banana ester profile is something I feel would be awesome if done right! cool

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Kelsey' date=' your beer looks good, orange and pine dankness? I posted this in a different thread but meant for this one, I could edit....

Sorry to hear about the kiddo Capt, Spock had no suggestions? [img']biggrin[/img]

Spock has left me high and dry, we divorced as friends years ago.

I couldn’t stand his tantrums.

Now I pursuit the art of beer making and the dark arts of killing my prey with finer things like chop sticks and glyphosate.

Sorry, completely nonsense.

I tried one of my Gails Pale Ales tonight. Its been in the bottle a little over 2 weeks and it is fantastic. This is the beer with Centennial and Amarillo with no dry hop and there is a noticeable amount of aroma from the cube hops i suspect. Very happy with it indeed.

Cheers!

Had a massive break through today.

Gave my wife my toned down version of Benny’s Big Red Rye IPA.

She said on the first taste, yeah that’s a nice beer.(kinda being polite) But then half way through the glass she says damn that is a really tasty beer.

My wife does not eat, taste, drink anything that is home made. So I’m one step closer to “The Grail”

Cheers

Kirk

Thanks guys biggrin Yeah, there is a piney note to it for sure. I like what the cube hopping brings to these beers, as well as the reduced bitterness. I didn't reduce it by much, brewing to 33-35 IBUs instead of 38-40, but it's enough to make the beer more enjoyable. Sorry to hear about your son Captain sad, glad your wife enjoyed your beer though. Mine (well not wife currently) likes home made stuff, be it beer, bacon, ham, burgers, pizzas etc., I make them all and we both enjoy them more than bought stuff. She mainly likes the pale ales and some lagers, not really a fan of the red and darker ales.

It seems more than a passing few of us are hitting home runs lately when it comes to appeasing SWMBO.

I got my partner into trying some decent commercial craft beers along with a few of my own not long after we met. Commercially she really enjoys Little Creatures Pale Ale & any beers I make that have a similar citrus tone.

She really likes my most recent FWH(30) Pale Ale that is currently on the pour too. happy

It's very satisfying sharing the fruits of your hard work with those that matter most to you. cool

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

I'm lucky enough to have a few particularly tasty ones on hand at the moment.

India Brown Saison - A nice deep amber colour, with a dense, pillowy head that sticks around forever (no doubt aided by the 4+ vols CO2). The bitterness and roast has mellowed a bit now, and with a noticeable but fairly subtle contribution from the yeast character is a really nice mix of flavours. OS Lager kit in the Craft fermenter FTW! This would be even better with a different Saison strain. Belle Saison is pretty good, but I do definitely prefer the liquid strains I have tried previously.

Best Extra Stout - Rich and substantial (the ~7.5% ABV is probably contributing to the body nicely), lots of chocolate, coffee and a touch of ash. I like the smoothness and although it is definitely a big hit of flavour, I find it nicely balanced. Coopers APA kit in the Craft fermenter FTW!

American Brown Ale - Coopers APA kit in the Craft fermenter FTW (again)! This has turned out to be a really nice deep ruby colour, with some nice raisin and plum flavours and a bit of roast. I could probably dial back a little on the crystal and chocolate malt but it is so smooth and a bit of a guilty pleasure to drink, just because it's a touch over the top (perhaps an equivalent would be a big Barossa shiraz). I guess I should really call it an Imperial Brown since it is nearing 8% ABV. The bitterness is spot on, but it could do with more late hops to balance that aspect. It might be wiser to tone down the malt bill instead. Or not ... it tastes really good as it is!

Session Ale - this has turned out brilliantly. About 4% ABV after carbonation, it is very easy to drink with a bit of malt sweetness coming through. There are thankfully a few things that stop this tasting like passionfruit soft drink (or S&W Pacific Ale). 1) A respective amount of body to it, which I guess the wheat malt helped with. 2) The 3:2 Enigma:Galaxy hop ratio, which rounds out the passionfruit with some nice floral, citrus and herbaceous notes. 3) Enough bitterness, I think the 25 IBU I was targeting is pretty much spot on. And I have to say that the Coopers yeast did a top job on this one too.

Cheers,

John

John good to hear you have a session ale to balance out those three MEGA beers!

I am drinking a 7.25% saison at the moment. There is also a few bottles left of a 6.9% dortmunder export kicking around. Lucky I have a 4.9% gose to cut through them both!

Archived