Coopers Community

Scored some old bottles

The Captain!!

So this Italian guy I know just sold me 70 of his best sauce bottles. For 20 bucks.

He has only used them for sauce. And hasn’t used them for over ten years.

Of one of the labels that are still on the bottle. Brings earliest vintage to 1992. Been used about ten times.

And got moulded on the bottle, “remains the property of the Swan Brewery”.

These are the same bottles my father used in his home brew days.

Pretty stoked to get a hold of these.

That’s awesome captain! Saucing (pun intended) bottles can be a pain but when you get the good ones at the right price, it makes it worthwhile.

I bought 160 little creatures 568mL pint bottles from old mate down in The Shire and they are still some of my favourite bottles to use.

I'll always take a stone & Wood 500mL as they are bulletproof, and love convenience of a swingtop too.

Good find!

Hey Captn I had the same when I inherited some bottles.

the ones that didn't come out sparkling after a sodium percarbonate soak and a bottlebrush, I designated to the recycling bin. Just not worth the time and effort. The risk of infection was too high, so I cut the losses and binned then. Was less than 10% of what I was given though. Sodium percarbonate generally worked really well.

Good that you are taking it seriously though and cleaning them thoroughly.

I wish my friends would just rinse out the bottles after they poured a beer, it would make it so much easier!

• 6 months later...

Archived