Coopers Community

Cheap Coopers, Where D'ya Get It?

Marvin

1 hour ago, oldbloke said:

no name brand of home brew

was it home brand? that's woolies old store brand. I bought a can of their draught and put it down at the same time as a coopers draught. Only bottled last week so can't tell you what it tastes like yet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldbloke said:

About $9.50 I think. Anyone tried them?

I have brewed the Woolworths Lager and Woolworths Draught. Used BE3, 25grams Citra Dry Hop, 200grams of Dextrose and PKT of Dry Enzyme in each brew. Used the can yeast.

Four weeks in the FV and eight weeks lagering all at 12C.  I was pleasantly surprised not a bad drop at all.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, Pickles Jones said:

I have brewed the Woolworths Lager and Woolworths Draught. Used BE3, 25grams Citra Dry Hop, 200grams of Dextrose and PKT of Dry Enzyme in each brew. Used the can yeast.

Four weeks in the FV and eight weeks lagering all at 12C.  I was pleasantly surprised not a bad drop at all.

PJ mate, I'm going to have a crack at this just to dip the toe. 9 dollars at my local Woolies.

275627070_283981993884091_5160148028281155805_n.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

PJ mate, I'm going to have a crack at this just to dip the toe. 9 dollars at my local Woolies.

Hey Mick, I have wondered what they actually taste like, brewed as they are intended I would have thought pretty basic, the product description says "Brewing Concentrate: Barley Malt Extract, Water, Hop Extract, Yeast Sachet: Brewing Yeast" so I imagine they are saying brew as is but I guess you would be adding LDME/LME ?

Other members have reported that it is acceptable, I will be interested to see what you think.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Mick, I have wondered what they actually taste like, brewed as they are intended I would have thought pretty basic, the product description says "Brewing Concentrate: Barley Malt Extract, Water, Hop Extract, Yeast Sachet: Brewing Yeast" so I imagine they are saying brew as is but I guess you would be adding LDME/LME ?

Other members have reported that it is acceptable, I will be interested to see what you think.

Phil, I'm sure it's going to be basic and it might even be a waste of time and money. You're right it'll need additions. 

This is what PJ, @Pickles Jones had to say:

On that basis I thought I might give it a crack. I will update once I've brewed it and had a sip.

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

Phil, I'm sure it's going to be basic and it might even be a waste of time and money. You're right it'll need additions. 

On that basis I thought I might give it a crack. I will update once I've brewed it and had a sip.

Fair enough, my guess is they are not targeting the Home Brewer more so the average punter, it is something like a SWMBO may pick up shopping & say to the Lord of the Manor - why don't you try this. There also is a market for those on a budget or just starting off.

I was in BigW  the other day & a couple of ladies were discussing buying a Coopers DIY kit for the husbands birthday, they asked me if I knew anything about home brewing 🤭 obviously I steered them in the right direction. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mickep said:

That's a long time, I leave mine for 8-10 days @ 19 degs bottle and drink at about 4 weeks, or sooner if we are low (Wife's drink).

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have wondered what they actually taste like, brewed as they are intended

I'm pretty sure the instructions say to brew with a kilo of sugar. I'm not going to make it like that just to find out. When I brewed it I used a BE2 and some extra dex (around 250 I think. I'd have to go find my notes). It was a basic but very drinkable beer, and the thing I liked about it was it didn't need any extra time in the bottle (the coopers draught wasn't drinkable until 4-5 weeks if I remember correctly). I should actually put another one on tomorrow. I have a couple in the brew cupboard.

i grabbed 3 x BE3 at the local big W via click and collect

12 hours ago, Mickep said:

i'm doing a woocoolager (woolworths and coopers lager with a cascade hop tea) at the moment, one thing i've noticed with the woolager is the yeast pack in. it's only 5g but it's marked as R3427 - which is just one louder* than R3426 that packs in with the APA can.. so possibly the yeast it comes with is slightly more complex than the standard R007 that most coopers cans come with.

*spinal tap reference just in case no one gets the one louder

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

While perusing the BigW website for the Coopers specials I noticed these 1 litre swing top bottles for $2. I might grab a couple and give them a try. Has anyone else out there used them? Recommend or not?

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/house-home-glass-water-bottle-1l-assorted-/p/421235

Muzzy I would be concerned if they were sturdy enough to withstand pressure also the seal may not be like that of a Grolsch type bottle but then I haven't handled one so all the best.