Coopers Community

“Extract” brewing without extract

ImaginativeName

I’d like to try making a beer using just LDM and hops.

If anybody can point me toward a simple recipe I’d appreciate it.

I figure it’s just a matter of boiling water, following hops schedule, throwing in LDM, adding more water and yeast....unless I’m mistaken?

I have a few different varieties of hops, not sure if any of them are suitable for bittering.

Amarillo, cascade, citra, galaxy, NS, I think I have hallertau or something, maybe some others....I’ll have to check what else.

Keen to just use up what I have and then give up brewing and drinking.

Just kidding, I’d like to use it all up though, and start fresh next year.

Cheers

JP

Hi JP. Yes, you have the basic idea. Just use a recipe calculator to figure out your hop additions. How big is your stove, and your pot? Or rather, how much volume can you comfortably boil? I have never done a full size batch using un-hopped extract, only 8L ones, as my stove is weak and my pot isn't very big.

As I understand it some extract brewers like to save some of the extract for the last few minutes of the boil as it tends to darken the longer you boil it. If you are brewing an amber that doesn't matter, but if you are making a Pilsener it would. I suspect Brew Basic Radio would have some videos on the topic.

Cheers,

Christina.

As I understand it you can do a smaller boil, say 8L. Add enough DME to make the gravity of that 8L of wort something like 1.040, add your hops to that, and the rest of your extract at the end of the boil. Cool, then dilute with the rest of your water, in your FV. You may need to use a bit more hops than you would if you were boiling the full volume. There is a rule of thumb about how much more hops to use, but I don't know what it is off hand. Maybe someone else can tell you. I think they recommend the Garetz method of calculating IBUs for this type of brewing.

Cheers,

Christina.

LDM is still extract... tongue

I was about to say the same thing wink

Neill's Centenarillo Ale is pretty nice and is just LME, Dextrose, Centennial, Amarillo, water and yeast. Do a search for it and sub DME for the LME in the correct quantity.

Nelson's Light tongue

Boerderij Saison (8.5l) - sub the 250g of Golden Malt Extract with another 200g of LDM.

There may be other LDM recipes on the forum but the memory is a bit dim...

Hey PB2,

Keen to give that Saison a crack in my craft fermenter before brewing something similar in a full batch. Question- the instruction say ferment between 18 and 22 degrees but I thought Saisons were best fermented over 24 unless I am missing something. Still very new to this.

The first full extract I did was Neills Centraillo ale, check spelling. It was ok, but I would move the 20 and 10 min additions down to 5 or flameout, but ztill try to get it to 31 ibus. His base is a good base for extracts it wasn't to thick and sweet. Give it a go. https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/everyone-should-make-this.35657/

For anybody interested, thus is why I’ve done:

Boiled 1L water with 250g wheat malt

20 minutes with 15g Amarillo and 15g galaxy

Mixed with 2kg LDM

125g brown sugar

125g table sugar

Topped to 23L

Danstar Belle Saison yeast

The brown and white sugar were added in the time between this message and my last one.

I don’t know what I’m doing, at all, so this should be interesting, at a rough guess I’d say I’m going to end up with something around 3.5-4.5 that hopefully doesn’t taste like lawn clippings that my doggo dragged his arsehole on.

Wish me luck.

Another thing, I’m going to do the Nelsons light, that isn’t light, maybe add an additional kg of fermentables.

I’m punching out 4 quick brews for Christmas holiday period, I have 4 packets of dry yeast in the freezer, I never planned on using them to ferment, since I usually use RCCCY, and I will usullay boil up a dry yeast packet for nutrient.

Is there any way to tell what yeast is in the packet?

I have four of them, and I’m hoping that the numbers identify the strain, but I’m guessing it’s probably something to do with packaging dates or something.

Anyway, they are marked as follows:

08317 INT

22816 INT

35416 INT

Cheers

JP

Jeez that’s a shame.

Only letters I have are “INT”.

I figured I either have TC’s amber ale' date=' CAPA, Dark Ale, or Stout.....

I’m hoping that they’re all the same?

Cheers

JP[/quote']

The INT ones should be the ale/lager mixed yeast, it is a good strong yeast, never had issues with it. The other one should be an ale yeast.

Norris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Put down PB2s Boerderij recipe with all LDM on Saturday. Tested a hydro sample today and the first thing that came to mind was bubblegum. The only other Saison I have tried was the Bridge Road Chevalier which I loved. Just wondering if the bubblegum flavour is common to the style or have I stuffed up?

OG 1045

Pitched rehydrated Belle at 20 degress

Boosted o 24 for a ay but then back down to a constant 20

Gravity today was 1005

Archived