Coopers Community

23l non-alcoholic Ginger Beer in 15l fermenter

DonPolo

I want to make some non-alcoholic ginger beer for my kids. I've. 15l FV and have bought a can of mix which makes 23l.

Working out whether to do two half batches splitting the ingredients or just do say a 13l batch using proportionate ingredients and ditch the rest.

Any ideas?

The instructions say to bottle in 2-3 hours so I'm thinking a large krausen is not likely.

Thanks Kelsey I'll take your advice.

I'll cling wrap the can, put the lid back on and put it in the fridge.

I'll have to halve the yeast and the 'yeast nutrient ' whatever that is and I guess put them in zip lock bags in the fridge.

For the next batch do you think that I'll have to 'pasturise' the rest of the can as advised for beer kit cans? The instructions say put the ginger mix in hot but not too hot water.

Another alternative would be to do two batches about three hours apart and get it all done in one go.

Also I can understand you can make it alcoholic by letting it ferment for longer.

Therefore what is the purpose of waiting for three hours? Would it not produce a small amount of alcohol in the three hours and therefore unsuitable for children.

Therefore what is the purpose of waiting for three hours? Would it not produce a small amount of alcohol in the three hours and therefore unsuitable for children.

Not sure of the purpose of waiting for three hours; it might be to get the yeast established, so they can dominate over contaminating organisms, and also so they can carbonate the brew in the bottles.

Are you stopping fermentation by sticking the bottles in the fridge once they are carbonated / firm? If so, it is important to only use PET bottles, and to keep them cold until serving.

I doubt the yeast would have produced / started fermenting alcohol at the three hour point. Bottle carbonation produces about 0.5% ABV.

Yes, you will have to pasteurize the rest of the can, which can be done by mixing with boiling water.

Cheers,

Christina.

Archived