Coopers Community

Coopers Mild Ale Take 2

Bladeca

Currently I'm drinking a batch of the Mild Ale made as per the recipe on the site. I'm enjoying it really well and the ABV came out spot on 3.5% which i was after. However from what I can tell it seems to occur with most kits made to mid strengths is that the head retention is not the greatest. So on my next brew I want to try and improve it. After reading alot of other threads I've came up with the below recipe to try and I'm interested in others feedback.

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

200g Carapils (steeped for 30min at 65C)??

12g Saaz hops (steeped for 15-20mins)

Windsor Ale Yeast

I bottle into mainly 450/500ml swingtops and use dex to prime.

Now in the first brew I used a MJ Saz 12g finishing hop teabag and went as per instructions, but I'm not sure whether I got the best out of it. Would I be better off getting pellets and doing a 20min boil with them and the DME??

Thanks

Glenn

Wheat definitely helps, as does rye and also hops.

Make sure the carapils is milled and boiled after the steep - drained and boiled.

And yes, much better off buying 100g of saaz from someone with a fridge and doing a short boil.

If it were me and I wanted to improve beer foam qualities, I would try:

http://store.coopers.com.au/thomas-coopers-wheat-malt-extract-1-5kg.html

Windsor Ale Yeast

The full can of wheat which is a mix of wheat and barley would most likely take it over your desired 3.5% ABV so it may need some reduction. I've used this with a Bootmaker kit and it does as advertised, ie; improves head and mouthfeel.

Thanks. I'll try both the wheat and carapils in different brews. Still want the lower ABV so will have to just go with a smaller amount of the extract to get it. Actually I'll have to find who has the coopers wheat malt around here as I wanted to try a summer ale with wheat as a reasonable percentage of the mix.

cheers

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
The coopers mild ale is a great session brew - but iam just wondering' date=' i find th Saaz hops a little too sharp any suggestions or alternative hop recommendations?

-I was thinking prehaps giving Simcoe a try or galaxy-

any sage hop advice from the forum?[/quote']

You could go for a more English mild and use Goldings and/or Fuggles.

My personal experience with carapils is that it does little to nothing. Though hotly debated this observation was validated by some studies which suggest the same thing, that it's contribution to good foam performance is less than zero:

In fact' date=' these results align with studies performed at UC Davis demonstrating Cara- and Crystal malts generally aren’t foam positive.

I wonder if using maltodextrin would give you a better result? It is after all what Coopers include in their brew enhancers.unsure

Wheat malt may help though it's not typically found in mild ale, but if you're not too worried about conforming to any particular style and just want a light refreshing low ABV beer then worth a try. It does tend to cloud up the beer though...depending on quantity used. I like Ben's suggestion of rye malt actually. A few hundred g's of that held at 65ºC for 30 - 45mins would be worth a shot.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

this is my first post and fourth brew so please be gentle.

I just put in some Coopers Mild Ale and followed the recipe on the website.

I have pitched both the kit yeast and the commercial yeast, and now I'm wondering if I should have used both? 🤔

any thoughts

9 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I wouldn't be to concerned. I have done the same without any problems.

This is all part of the learning curve.

thanks for your quick reply, so I should have left out the kit yeast, right?

Hi Prost. 

Should be all good although you might find it a little underwhelming in taste as an over pitch can sometimes do that with ales.

The recipe only lists the commercial yeast, but it shouldn’t do any real harm. If the CCA yeast was already active it probably got up and boogied while the packet yeast was still waking up! 😂

Cheers!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Hi Prost. 

Should be all good although you might find it a little underwhelming in taste as an over pitch can sometimes do that with ales.

The recipe only lists the commercial yeast, but it shouldn’t do any real harm. If the CCA yeast was already active it probably got up and boogied while the packet yeast was still waking up! 😂

Cheers!

Thanks for the encouragement.

The CCA yeast didn't look overly active at any stage, just like a few other comments on this forum. (only frothy when shaken, quiet gassy, nice smell)

Sure it'll be fine to drink.

13 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

The CCA yeast doesn’t appear very active compared to US05 and others, but it keeps on keeping on.

Just keep it at temperature and it’ll keep chugging away. It’s a damn good yeast.

Ok, thanks for that.

Unfortunately I can't control the temperature since I am just starting up.

At the moment the VF's temp strip shows between 20-22 degrees.

Come summer I'll have to look at something.😰

1 hour ago, Prost said:

Ok, thanks for that.

Unfortunately I can't control the temperature since I am just starting up.

At the moment the VF's temp strip shows between 20-22 degrees.

Come summer I'll have to look at something.😰

If you wrap a damp towel or something around it that should drop it a degree or two. But 20-22 isn’t too bad for it.

51 minutes ago, Prost said:

Oh one more question: what FG should I expect from this brew?

cheers

I’d be thinking around 1.010 to 1.012 for that one. That’s just a guess but you might get it down to 1.008 at the outside.

On 10/21/2017 at 3:56 AM, Bladeca said:

Currently I'm drinking a batch of the Mild Ale made as per the recipe on the site. I'm enjoying it really well and the ABV came out spot on 3.5% which i was after. However from what I can tell it seems to occur with most kits made to mid strengths is that the head retention is not the greatest. So on my next brew I want to try and improve it. After reading alot of other threads I've came up with the below recipe to try and I'm interested in others feedback.

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

200g Carapils (steeped for 30min at 65C)??

Windsor Ale Yeast

I bottle into mainly 450/500ml swingtops and use dex to prime.

Now in the first brew I used a MJ Saz 12g finishing hop teabag and went as per instructions, but I'm not sure whether I got the best out of it. Would I be better off getting pellets and doing a 20min boil with them and the DME??

Thanks

Glenn

I would have half the dry malt be wheat malt extract if you can get it to go with the carapils and that will increase the head retention