Coopers Community

A Christmas Brew

i was just wondering if any body was Brewing any Christmas/Julebryg/spiced seasonal style Beer, I am researching one to do at the moment will add when I have finished the basic's of it will be

1.7 kg coopers Canadian blonde

1kg dry wheat

.7 kg LDME

50g saaz hops

100g Dingemans special b

300g cara aroma

above steep grains and hops 40mins

30min boil of below

400g inverted brown sugar

1 star anise

1 cinnamon stick

6 pods cardamom

1 tea spoon coriander seed

1 vanilla pod

safbrew S-04

Hey Real. Good luck with your brew. What exactly are you going to do with the spices?

Aren't Special B and CaraAroma are pretty much the same thing, from different companies? I have not tried CaraAroma, as my LHBS does not carry it, but it seems popular with forum members.

I have experimented with Special B a few times (actually have an Oktoberfest fermenting with some ATM), but just 75gm per batch, as I have read that a little goes a long way. Those brews have turned out very nice. It is reputed to have more plummy/raisin-y notes than CaraAroma, but I can't say I notice that in the percentage I have been using; I get more toffee from it.

Cheers,

Christina.

I've made two batches of Julebryg, the first batch used a European lager kit and the second, which I made last winter, was a stout. I really like how the last batch turned out, a great brew for those cool winter evenings and it's aging nicely I still have a few longnecks around. It had a similar spice mix to what you're planning, here's the recipe:

Coopers Stout

Coopers Dark Malt Extract

500g dextrose

30g saaz hops

3 cinnamon sticks

2 star anise

2 Tbsp coriander seeds

1 tsp ground nutmeg

2 tsp vanilla extract

Hi Christina ,

doing a bit of research tonight as to quantity's of spices but will be a 30minute boil for the spices and steeps the grains and hops together. As for the grains they are similar but to my knowledge cara aroma is redder and has more nut and fruit and dingeman special b has more caramel and plum and raisin I am led to believe but haven't used dingeman till now.Yes I have heard a little goes a long way I was looking at about 80/100g of dingemans special b and 300g of cara aroma also the inverted brown sugar will add another taste that I haven't tried because of the molasses which is in brown sugar.I have used inverted sugar in a lot of brews just not brown .I have already inverted it and it has a slightly different taste to white inverted sugar and of coarse darker and deep red hue . Will add quantity's above regards Brian

I've made two batches of Julebryg' date=' the first batch used a European lager kit and the second, which I made last winter, was a stout. I really like how the last batch turned out, a great brew for those cool winter evenings and it's aging nicely I still have a few longnecks around. It had a similar spice mix to what you're planning, here's the recipe:

Coopers Stout

Coopers Dark Malt Extract

500g dextrose

30g saaz hops

3 cinnamon sticks

2 star anise

2 Tbsp coriander seeds

1 tsp ground nutmeg

2 tsp vanilla extract[/quote']

cool thanks what did you think of the spices taste wise

I made a spiced Christmas stout a couple of years and wasn't happy with it. I used 2 star anise (hot steeped x 10 min), 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon added to wort, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, and 35gm black strap molasses, in an OS stout kit. I could not really taste the spices, but the brew tasted metallic; I think came from the iron in the black strap molasses. I haven't used black strap molasses since.

Today I was reading on another site how a brewer made a tincture by soaking whole spices in vodka, starting a couple of weeks before he bottled. Then he dosed his glass with a bit of the tincture, using an eyedropper, so he could easily adjust it to his taste. He had found before, when he had added spices to the kettle, that he often preferred the same beer without spices. He never wanted more than one spiced one. That makes a lot of sense to me. I think I might try his technique next time.

Cheers,

Christina.

cool thanks what did you think of the spices taste wise

It's definitely noticeable in the brew, it adds an extra layer of warmth to the stout which I find really complementary. I made an effort to increase the level of spices in this last batch, unfortunately I don't have the quantities I used the first time around but I did want to bump up the spiciness a bit. I suppose it takes a bit of experimentation to get these just right according to your tastes.

i was just wondering if any body was Brewing any Christmas/Julebryg/spiced seasonal style Beer' date=' I am researching one to do at the moment will add when I have finished the basic's of it will be

1.7 kg coopers Canadian blonde

1kg dry wheat

.7 kg LDME

50g saaz hops

100g Dingemans special b

300g cara aroma

above steep grains and hops 40mins

30min boil of below

400g inverted brown sugar

1 star anise

1 cinnamon stick

6 pods cardamom

1 tea spoon coriander seed

1 vanilla pod

safbrew S-04 [/quote']

The above I put in today was quite a pleasant smell and taste once it was all in together 22L OG:1065 have to wait and see what it taste like when its done

• 4 weeks later...
Well still has some maturing to do but whate a balanced drop of beer very impressed not over powering but a nice spicey tasting Christmas ale cool azz would do next year cheers Brian

Cool. Glad you are pleased with it. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. smile

Cheers,

Christina.

Well still has some maturing to do but whate a balanced drop of beer very impressed not over powering but a nice spicey tasting Christmas ale cool azz would do next year cheers Brian

Cool. Glad you are pleased with it. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. smile

Cheers' date='

Christina.[/quote']

Anytime just had to have another tonite is damn nice balance fits my taste and thanks cheers

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

well six months down the track a nice drop for a desert style beer  1 bottle is nice

Why did you write it in such small writing? Are you trying to keep it a secret? ? ?

The general premise of these "Christmas beers" is something usually darkish with lots of flavour & spice etc. born out of the Northern hemisphere weather at the time that is very cold. Given I live in Australia, I'd likely brew a beer like this to be enjoyed in June/July/August during OUR winter months (not Christmas), where it would be more suited & more enjoyable.

I'm glad it has turned out nice for you. ☺️

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 11:27 AM, bennysbrew said:

Been researching a westvleteren12 extract recipe, but think it's out of my ability and price range if I eff it up.

I wonder how the Belgian Candi syrup would go in a Xmas brew but? Anyone tried it 

Belgian beers are actually very easy and relatively cheap to make. The biggest key is the yeast. You won't find a dry yeast to adequately replicate the dubbel, tripel and quad beers. Have tried Danstar Abbaye and Ferments BE256 and S 33 and they don't replicate too well. Abbaye does make good blond and Belgian PA's and IPA's though.

Westy uses Westmalle yeast which is WY3787

Candi sugar adds alcohol without body and without the cidery taste of straight sugar or dextrose. It also adds flavour if you are using amber or dark candi. I wouldn't pay for it though. So overpriced. Make it yourself. Super easy to make and only costing you the white sugar and a little citric acid or cream of tartar

https://joshthebrewmaster.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/how-to-make-belgian-candi-sugar/

Archived