Coopers Community

Sparkling Ale

AnnM

Good morning Paul! I bought a Sparkling Ale kit last night and am puzzled about the recipe on the can and on this site. It lists for fermentables 1.5kg LME PLUS 500gm LDME & 300gm Dextrose. Isn't that an awful lot of fermentables for one 7gm packet of yeast? I'm puzzled because the recipe for the Strong Ale I think suggests 2 packets of yeast and it seems the same amount of fermentables as the SA. Is the yeast a higher attenuating one or something in the SA kit? My HB guy told me to add just the 1.5kg LME and 150gm Crystal grain. I was thinking of doing that but also adding 300gm Dextrose I've got left over. I want to get as close as possible to the real thing but I'm worried the single packet of yeast won't be able to cope, especially at a lower temp.

The yeast is a blend of ale and lager. It does okay with the recommended recipe. If you are worried about it, use more yeast.

I want to get as close as possible to the real thing

You'll get closer to the real thing by fermenting it with our commercial ale yeast [wink]

• 3 weeks later...

G'Day,

made the sparkling ale kit to the letter and produced a very nice drop with an ABV of ~6.5%.

My question is this - how much does the 300 g of dextrose contribute to the ABV and how would omitting it from the brew affect the taste?

I have all the ingredients in the cupboard ready to go, but 6.5% is a tad strong for me when I feel like a few and have other stuff to do, so any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers, Alex.

300g of dextrose contributes about 0.6%ABV to a 23litre brew.

A variation might be to drop the 1.5kg can of Light Malt Extract and increase the Light Dry Malt from 500g to 1kg.

or

Leave the fermentables "as is" and increase the brew volume to 25litres.

Archived