Coopers Community

RepSpec's Pale ale multiple hop

Mikes15

Gave one a bash,

One of the best beers Ive made to date, especially in terms of style vs season, popping one of these at the end of a hot spring/summers day is just perfect, light hoppy, slight bitterness & a nose full of fruit, what a cracker!

I prob D-Hopped a bit early, day 4 of what turned out to be 19, didn't allow for the gravity to taper off, doh.

Also Ill commando next time, and there will be many next times with this beer.

I went for 145g bulk which put me smack in the middle of APA style, possibly a little light on gas but it is early & I honestly prefer a craft beer with just a light sparkle rather than the normal Au-Nz fizzy style.

Cant thank you enough Repspec & THOROUGHLY recommend EVERYONE knocking this one out before the summer it through!

1509599776_49_851.jpg

thanks mike!

Glad its turned out to be a ripper brew for you!

Looking at yours and looking how mine looks, id keep the dry hop in the tubes your using next time...mine is a lot more cloudier than that! Im jealous of the clarity of yours hahaha!

Enjoy the rest mate!

I wondered if I could commando & reduce the hop bill to get the same result, as mentioned before though they had heaps of room the hops weren't exactly soaked through & some still resembled pellets, down side to a long thin tube I guess.

im over the moon with you guys making this...i havent even been brewing for 12months and already have people making my beers!

But also sad, because i drank the last bottle of this last night...i enjoyed it thoroughly

Just shows what a great wealth of knowledge these forums are...learned heaps from here!

Just took a sample down to 1.012, smells awesome and tasting good.

Will throw in the dry hops Saturday cold crash mid next week and bottle following weekend.

Think I’m onto a winner here!

Cheers Tim

Not at all surprised that this beer is a winner. Earlier this year I had also brewed a pale ale of my own making with Citra, Cascade and Simcoe based on the fact that these three hops are all used in 4 Pines pale ale along with Amarillo (which I didn't have any of), so I figured they would play nicely together and sure enough they did.

The hop additions listed in the OP are the same late additions I made in my recipe and they definitely work well. I was gonna say I'd come up with an AG version of it but it appears I beat you all to it lollol

Cheers

Kelsey

• 2 years later...

Finally onto doing this one again, slight changes for materials available so this time its

- 5ltrs of water to the boil, add 500g LME,

- Add Taiheke, Ella, Simcoe, 15g each for 10mins + 15g @ f/o for 10mins then in cold water to cool.

- Add 1.2kg LME + APA can + 80g dextrose into the FV with enough hot water to break it up.

- Strain the hop tea into FV

- Top up to 21.5ltrs at 18'C, up to 21'C in 3 or 4 days

- Rehydrate US05 yeast in 30c (boiled) water & Pitch.

- Taiheke, Simcoe, 30g, Ella 20g dry hop.

Edited by Mikes15
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, Mikes15 said:

Finally onto doing this one again, slight changes for materials available so this time its

- 5ltrs of water to the boil, add 500g LME,

- Add Taiheke, Ella, Simcoe, 15g each for 10mins + 15g @ f/o for 10mins then in cold water to cool.

- Add 1.2kg LME + APA can + 80g dextrose into the FV with enough hot water to break it up.

- Strain the hop tea into FV

- Top up to 21.5ltrs at 18'C, up to 21'C in 3 or 4 days

- Rehydrate US05 yeast in 30c (boiled) water & Pitch.

- Taiheke, Simcoe, 30g, Ella 20g dry hop.

What do you get aroma and flavour wise from the taiheke? And from that combo?

20 hours ago, Norris! said:

What do you get aroma and flavour wise from the taiheke? And from that combo?

Its as obvious that Ella is Galaxy's half sister as it is when you meet 2 red head girls called Gill & Jane who look sound the same!

The Taiheke def. has the citrus fruit forward its known for & with the S-05 is looking like a nice pairing.

I think this might turn out a bit more of a (us)APA than IPA but either way its panning out well.

Edited by Mikes15
  • Thanks 1