Coopers Community

RepSpec's Pale ale multiple hop

Mikes15

Going to have a go at RepSpec's Pale ale multiple hop brew

Posted here

- 5ltrs of water to the boil, add 500g LDM,

- Add Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, 15g each for 10mins + 15g @ f/o for 10mins then add cold water to cool.

- Add 1kg LDM + APA can into the FV with enough hot water to break it up.

- Strain the hop tea into FV

- Top up to 21.5ltrs.

- Rehydrate US05 yeast in 30c (boiled) water & Pitch.

- Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, 20g dry hop + should have 20 - 40g Galaxy dry hop.

but LHBS is out of Galaxy, could I use say Amarillo, open to suggestions?

They have a huge range available

The Brew House hops

*blushes*

im flattered lol

*il try remember to have a look at my recipe book when i get home*

this turned out really well with a few "hop head" mates loving it. I called it "lotso" as in lots of hops.

If i was to be picky id suggest it was closer to a session IPA rather than a Pale due to its bitterness/hop flavour. But still a very nice drop that i will make again once this lot runs out

- Add Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, 15g each for 10mins + 15g @ f/o for 10mins then add cold water to cool.

This step...dont add cold water to it...put the pot in cold water to cool it down before adding it to the FV

Try get galaxy...but its only for aroma at the end (dry hoppped)...il try to remeber to have one tonight and post what i think about it now!

If i was to be picky id suggest it was closer to a session IPA rather than a Pale due to its bitterness/hop flavour.

One can and 1.5kg of LDM. That's a session that would sit me on my arse pretty quick biggrin

Good Stuff Rep

Its cool when someone brews your recipe' date=' is as close as you get to share the brewing experience with brewers online.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Congrats on the brew RepSpec!

It always looked like a nice drop with those hops involved.

Im thinking a hop tea (as per Lustys suggestions) of 30g each (excluding the galaxy) (75oC @20mins steep)

(im trying to use the IanH spreadsheet' date=' but wasnt sure how to enter the hop tea into the hop boil part)[/quote']

Provided the hop tea is below 80°C enter the time as "0" (zero) in IanH's spreadsheet as the hop tea additions will not be adding any bitterness. wink

Good stuff! smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

*blushes*

im flattered lol

*il try remember to have a look at my recipe book when i get home*

this turned out really well with a few "hop head" mates loving it. I called it "lotso" as in lots of hops.

Been on my to do list for ages & finally made it to the top' date=' cant wait, will be the biggest hop brew ive done by FAR.

Im happy to call it Lotso, you made it, you name it [img']biggrin[/img]

Emailed the shop to find out when they can get Galaxy, heres hoping,,,

Also, what pitch temp, brew temp? (ive been going with Ottos method of raising 3'c after 3-4days, Ill def cold crash this to.

Not sure whether to command or use my giant Hop tube for the dry hop.

i think for memory (didnt actually write this one down) it was 18/19c for the brew.

If you have a sock/tube, try do it in that. I commando(d) and its quite gunky at the end. I had one last night and even after 4 months its still quite hoppy... but very cloudy. Although that may have been due to the fact that i had to freezer cool it to drink it hahaha.

Im reading the recipe in front of me and it lists

15g @ 10mins

cascade

citra

simcoe

15g of each @ f/o

then 30g dry hopped

cascade

citra

simcoe

36g

galaxy

I also did a brew i called "clean up" as it was all my left over hops

1 x APA can

1 x 1.5kg ldm

us05

20g @ 15mins

cascade

citra

@ 10mins

20g citra

30g summer

dry hopped

40g

galaxy

this one is a bit smoother/less bitter, but i think that comes from the apricoty flavour of the summer hops...nice drop also!

Good luck mike...hope it lives up to your tastes!

Thanks for the tips,

So my supplier is out of Galaxy for a couple of months, NZ hops is out, could get them from somewhere else but will cost $15 for 100g inc postage.

Any one care to suggest an alternative that will work with Cascade, Citra, Simcoe?

Nothings ever easy!!

• 2 weeks later...

wow...1070...i dont remember mine been that high...are you sure your hydrometer is reading that right?

maybe someone can punch it into ianH to check?

good luck though mike...il double check the figures when i get home...

This is my method =

- 500g LDM into 2ltrs cold water to dissolve, top up to 5ltrs with hot water & bring to boil,

- Add Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, 15g each, boil for 10mins

- 15g of each 3 @ f/o for 10mins.

- Cool pot in sink, down to 55'c

- Add 1kg LDM with 2ltrs of cold water to dissolve,

- Add 1.7kg APA can into the FV,

- Strain some hop tea into FV, stir to mix APA then add remaining.

- Top up to 23ltrs @ 19'c

- Take OG sample.

- Pitch rehydrated yeast temp matched with wort addition.

Ive checked my hydro in 20'c tap water & its good.

I take the sample into the hydro case/tube, drop it in overflowing the wort as it goes, stand on the sink to settle, 1070 is what I got and that was at 23ltrs.

When I made my Franziskaner the same thing happened, 21ltrs (recipe) gave an OG of 1080, so I went to 23ltrs which gave an OG of 1046, this time I'm already over volume.

Malt states "500g of Dry malt extract in 20 Litres of wort will provide approximately 1.009 gravity points."

Could it be that I hadn't stirred the Wort enough pre sampling, I only really gave it a good stir after I pitched the yeast?

got me buggered...

i use hot water to dissolve all my LDM and APA can, but aside from that...im scratching my head...

i ended up with 1047 OG and 1012 FG (just looking at my recipe book)

*edit...

- 500g LDM into 2ltrs cold water to dissolve, top up to 5ltrs with hot water & bring to boil,

(this step...i put 3-5 ltrs into a pot and bought up to boil then added the LDM)

- Add Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, 15g each, boil for 10mins

- 15g of each 3 @ f/o for 10mins.

- Cool pot in sink, down to 55'c

- Add 1kg LDM with 2ltrs of cold water to dissolve

(this step i put the 1kg of ldm into the FV and dissolve with hot water...about 1ltr)

- Add 1.7kg APA can into the FV,

(this step i Add the warmed in hot water can to the fv and then stir through)

- Strain some hop tea into FV, stir to mix APA then add remaining.

(i strain the Hop tea/ boil once cooled to around 25-30c ish into the FV)

- Top up to 23ltrs @ 19c

(this i top up to the 23ltrs at room/tap temp water and cool the FV in the sink in cold water)

- Take OG sample.

(dont take a sample until its sitting in the fridge)

- Pitch rehydrated yeast temp matched with wort addition.

(once the wort has cooled to around 20-25c i pitch the rehydrated yeast which is around the same temp)

(into fridge and check OG and set temp to 18-19c)

hope that helps mate...

Not too far off, but im no pro and maybe someone else can shed some light?

Must have been my lack of stirring before taking the OG sample,

Down to 1040 (degassed) now, 28ish hours in.

Lovely golden colour, very sweet, it actually tastes a lot like peach/apricot juice with a slight bitter aftertastebiggrin

Im at 18'c SP now, will notch it up to 21'c in another 48 hrs.

Going great,

down to 1022 now, sterilized my giant hop tube by standing it in the boiled jug for 5mins each way up, then sprayed it with ethanol once dry (along with my hands) & in she goes.

So far the wort is stil tasting very good, bitterness is starting to come through more now though, dont you wish you could fast forward this bitlol

11days in & im at 1012,

The dry hops are really kicking in now, this is going to need a serious coldcrash as its still sampling like real fruit juice, tastes a lot like it to, think you should have called this fruitalishious or something like that cool

1012 for a few days now & im 11days in so crashing it today & man does it need it, by far the cloudiest beer Ive made at FG stage.

1508018086_0_963.jpg

the hop bitterness is mixing with the fruit flavours & tasting like a nice well rounded beer, really looking forward to this one & I need something lght & punchy to break from all the Caribbean porter Ive been gluping the last few weekslol

Sorry, dont know why my pics go sideways,,,,

Been cold crashing for 6 days now, whilst is has cleared I think I'm going to have to accept that this is not going to be a clear beer, its still got a haze not unlike a wheat beer.

Taste is great, slightly bitter but the citrus / fruit punch is amazing, the wife actually said "how can that even be beer"!!

Might bottle on Tue's an see if it clears in conditioning.

Bottled today, near miss, almost forgot to bulk prim w00t

Added the diluted sugar about half way through the transfer so fingers crossed its ok, was swirling nicely so should be.

On another note, my 30cm hop tube worked well, think next time ill commando as there was room below the tap. The tube was just under 50% full but the hops hadn't expanded as much as I had expected, with some still resembling pellets, though they where all damp.

I reckon the tube could take 150easy, maybe even 200grms but just not sure I'm gaining anything by confining the hops.