Coopers Community

Caribbean porter

Mikes15

On 11/12/2017 at 5:08 PM, Hoppy81 said:

Hey Mike,

Just seeing how these are aging? I'm looking at putting one down soon.

Cheers,

Hoppy

Sorry fella, didnt see your post,,,,

Aged well but also drank well straight out, I had my last bottle the other day, still very nice.

Definatly a beer to consider doing again, not a cheap brew though as the TCDHP is import only here,,,,

1 minute ago, Mikes15 said:

Sorry fella, didnt see your post,,,,

Aged well but also drank well straight out, I had my last bottle the other day, still very nice.

Definatly a beer to consider doing again, not a cheap brew though as the TCDHP is import only here,,,,

All good Mike,

I ended up putting this brew down and bottled it on the 14/2/18, I've probably drank 10 bottles to date and each one just Keeps on getting better.

Cheers, Hoppy

20180315_155328.jpg

Caribbean Porter is now my oldest beer that I've still got stock of, over 8 months I think?  Still got about 12 tallies left.  Damn fine beer, I'm still really enjoying it.  I've had 2 dud bottles - as in, they were flat when I re-organised my brew cupboard last, which I'm putting down to the perils of PET.

My only criticism would be that it doesn't retain the head for long, which someone mentioned.. and possibly slightly undercarbed for me @ 2 carb drops per tallie.  I know that's supposed to be high for the style, I just find my K+K beers taste more like commercial beer when there's a higher and consistent level of carbonation.  

I bottled these in 750ml glass bottles and primed at a stubby rate and i reckon they are superb with lower carbonation. I'm sure i have head all the way but i'll double check when i have another one. Will definitley brew this again though.

Cheers, Hoppy

I'm switching to all glass for beers like this from now on, probably keep the PET's for the wheat beers and K+K lager-ish brews that are designed for quaffing after a couple weeks.  I know what Coopers say about the PETs being good for 18 months post bottling, but that hasn't been my experience, and maybe it's psychological but damn the glass bottles in the fridge look like real beer, rather than the brown coke bottles.  They look like nasty hooch I brewed in a big plastic tub in the garage.  Technically true but I don't need to be reminded ?  

I'm also suspicious about the PETs possibly losing carbonation slowly, but sooner than they are supposed to.  To me, the 750mls primed @ 2 carb drops felt like low carbonation, and I'm not normally a fan of traditionally highly carbed beers.  I don't drink a lot of commercial lagers, pilsners or wheat beers.

Paul

Good move to glass. I have delicious stouts and dark ales in glass 750ml bottles that are over 5yrs old. You can’t do that with PET bottles. Two things though, 1) use strong bottles like the Coopers long necks or if in SA, Pickaxe bottles have an awesome reputation. 2) ensure fermention is complete, most bottle bombs are caused by bottling before this.

I'm using a mixed bag of bottles at the moment, some stubbies I bought online from a HBS, worked out quite cheap but they aren't as thick as the Asahis.  Trying to get my hands on as many of those as possible but to do that i have to drink them... meh.  Starting to accumulate more Coopers longnecks and whatever I can scrounge out of the complex recycling bins.  Someone here drinks a lot of Little Creatures.  No bottle bombs yet touch wood but I have been trying to be more particular about taking hydro readings.

Archived