Coopers Community

Bottling Wand Not Quite Fitting in Snap Tap

lamensterms

Hey guys,

I just bought a couple of snap taps, looking just like the ones below, only yellow.

taps-jpg.7628

I've just found that the bottling wand I have (from Coopers DIY kit) doesn't fit well. I am able to cram it in, but requires a fair bit of effort. And I'm not sure how well it will fit once the tap is fitted to the fermenter, or if I'd be able to apply the required amount of force to fit the wand in - when the tap is in the fermenter.

Just wondering if anyone else uses these taps, and if they have found a solution to the tight fitting bottling wands. I don't really want to mess around trying to widen the mouth of the taps, and not sure how I'd go trying to make the end of the wand any narrower.

Are there dedicated (slightly narrower) botting wands for these taps. I honestly expected the ID of the tap spout to be identical to the bunnings/BMW white taps.

Thanks for any help.

I've often made plastic parts fit over or into things easier by soaking them till hot in freshly boiled water first, and then letting them cool down while fitted in place.

I haven't tried it with a tap and bottling wand though, so can't say whether it will work or not in your predicament.

G'day Lamenstems

I know you say you aren't interested in trying to enlarge the spout, but I will tell you my story anyway, I had a couple of those taps (only they were blue) and I had the same problem, I simply got a drill bit exactly the same size as the tube and screwed it into the tap, manually...do not try and drill it with an electric drill, you will need to use a good sharp drill bit that hasn't been knocked around and blunted the sharp edge of the drill flutes. Just use a pair of pliers or grips to turn the bit, then draw it straight out....if you decide to go that way of course.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was hesitant to try widen the tap mouth with a drill bit, I didn't want to risk shredding the inside of the tap out too much.

I ended up going with beer pig's solution. Soaked the tip of the wand in boiling water for a few seconds, that seemed to soften the plastic just enough to squeeze into the tap pretty easily. Once it cooled, the wand has a minor but noticeable taper, and fits snug into the tap. Great solution.

Thanks again.

I've only just come back in from the garage to check my white tap like that.

Bit disappointed to find the wand doesn't fit.

More so the small pieces in the end of the syphon tube.

I'm thinking of sanding down the small bits I have in the end of the syphon tube,

I have replaced my bottling wand with a length of plastic tube sourced from my local HBS. About 11 mm external diameter. Standard size for snap taps, as I transfer to bottling bucket tap-to-tap. The only down side is that occasionally the bottling valve will come loose when I withdraw the bottle at the full-up moment. It just encourages me to take a little more care, and then the issue disappears.

Archived