Coopers Community

Storage of full kegs.

Youngie

Hi everyone.

I currently have 2 kegs and 2 taps but I want to eventually get a couple more spare kegs so I always have beer to go straight on after a keg blows empty. I will be storing the spares full of beer in a spare fridge and I wanted to know to best way to store. Obviously after filling I will purge the head space but I wanted to know should I leave on gas overnight to carb up a bit or just attach gas for a couple of hours once a week or just store in the fridge straight after purging the head space.

Thanks again!!

Youngie

The key thing (I would think) above all else is to do everything to avoid oxidation of the beer while in storage.

If you are able to follow your current practices for carbonating the keg, I would simply follow that practice if you are able, then store the beer in your spare fridge until a tap is available. If this is not practical, then perhaps adopting a fast carbing method similar to that of what I use to carbonate my kegs might be suitable as it only takes around 5mins or so.

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

With mine I just purge the headspace of oxygen and put it in the fridge awaiting. I always carb up after. Never had a problem with that method. However longest it has stayed there is just over a week

Ha ha ha.

Mine might need to last between 1-2 months..

I just purge mine then leave them on gas for a couple of hours as I do have a spare gas line on my manifold for this purpose. Then I just store them next to the brew fridge. I do plan to get another fridge at some point to be able to store them cold, but I've not had any problems with oxidised beers in 2 years of kegging by doing this.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived