Coopers Community

Something wrong with it ? Opinions please.

Henry's Cat

This was to have been a simple keg filler :

Tam Coopers Brew A IPA, 1kg LDM, rehydrated kit yeast, 20 litres, 18 degrees (didn't take OG, never bother with a straightforward K&K).

Now at day 15 and SG has been sitting at 1.020 since day 10, however there is still a healthy krausen and apparent activity though that is only as seen at the airlock.

Sample doesn't taste bad but tastes distinctly of brown sugar (not sweet, just the taste if that makes sense).

What do you reckon ? Raise the temperature and give it more time or does it sound like there is something more amiss with it ?

Would appreciate some thoughts.

Now at day 15 and SG has been sitting at 1.020 since day 10
Sounds well and truly stuck to me. Fermentation at 18º should have been all over in around 4 days. Mine are often in the bottle by day 10!

A couple of things commonly suggested for dealing with a stuck fermentation include stirring up the yeast and elevating the temperature. And what I've casually observed on forums like this though is that this in practice rarely works! annoyed But worth a try anyway.

One technique I have read of that apparently does work reliably is re-pitching a saved slurry or a starter.

Thanks for the input Blacksands.

Yeah, like you, I would normally see fermentation all over in about 4 days - hence my concern with this one.

I've got a couple of S-04 slurrys saved in the fridge so will go with your idea and chuck one of them in and see what happens.

Does the brown sugar taste sound normal for this kit ?

Does the brown sugar taste sound normal for this kit ?

Unfortunately I've never brewed that can so can't comment. I tend to reserve judgement on flavours until the beer has conditioned for at last 2 weeks. The changes can be quite dramatic!

Archived