Coopers Community

thomas coopers wheat can yeast ?????

therealthing691

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been through a similar question on Muntons included wheat yeast,

the basic answer is they are generic yeasts that do not attempt to match or give the results of specialized yeasts. Coopers / Muntons / Morgans etc etc so they wont commit to quoting a list of flavors or such for them.

Of course they will give "flavors" but whether they are particularly desirable or even reliable from one batch to the next is I guess another question.

Just been through a similar question on Muntons included wheat yeast' date='

the basic answer is they are generic yeasts that do not attempt to match or give the results of specialized yeasts. Coopers / Muntons / Morgans etc etc so they wont commit to quoting a list of flavors or such for them.

Of course they will give "flavors" but whether they are particularly desirable or even reliable from one batch to the next is I guess another question.

[/quote']

Wb-06 it is then at lower temp cheers thanks

It used to be this way but with the revamp of the Thomas Coopers series' date=' we changed to a dinkum wheat yeast strain.

Refer to this post. smile

No offence but neither your post or your linked post actually answer the larger question though of what flavours does the coopers wheat yeast throw, the info simply states that it is a wheat style yeast rather than generic, which is a bonus of course.

Out of interest what are you brewing & what temp did you have planned?

WB-06 works well. Did one a few weeks ago and fermented at 24c. It throws more citrusy type flavours to me. Never any banana. Mine was underpitched on purpose to throw more flavours.

Interesting, was that a one off or repeated experience?

Ive just put a WB06 wheat beer down yesterday at 21'c, its blown the air lock in the 1st 24hrs but settled down now, im going up to 24'c in another 48hrs time as the recipe was quite sepcific that the temp is critical for it to produce a FranzisKaner clone.

I normalized the yeast to room temp then re-hydrated starting at 32'c for 20mins then pitched it in.

WB-06 works well. Did one a few weeks ago and fermented at 24c. It throws more citrusy type flavours to me. Never any banana. Mine was underpitched on purpose to throw more flavours.

Interesting' date=' was that a one off or repeated experience?

Ive just put a WB06 wheat beer down yesterday at 21'c, its blown the air lock in the 1st 24hrs but settled down now, im going up to 24'c in another 48hrs time as the recipe was quite sepcific that the temp is critical for it to produce a FranzisKaner clone.

I normalized the yeast to room temp then re-hydrated starting at 32'c for 20mins then pitched it in.[/quote']

Have used WB-06 5 or 6 times but apart from the initial time always from saved yeast and a starter. Yes it goes crazy and did get up through the airlock on my first couple of brews. Even an underpitch and its done in 3 or 4 days at early 20's temperatures. I have done a 750ml starter for a 19L 1045 ish batches for the last two times and its great and doesn't blow the airlock either.

I have just recently brewed my first wheat beer. I followed the hefeweizen recipe but used the full can of malt extract to bring the abv up to about 4.5% and used the kit yeast.

I was a bit worried about too much flavour being my first wheat so I brewed it at 18c. It is a very drinkable beer but is very lacking in taste. You can tell it's a wheat beer but that's about it.

Out of curiosity I will probably try the same recipe again but bump up the ferment temperature to see what difference it makes to the flavours.

I have just recently brewed my first wheat beer. I followed the hefeweizen recipe but used the full can of malt extract to bring the abv up to about 4.5% and used the kit yeast.

I was a bit worried about too much flavour being my first wheat so I brewed it at 18c. It is a very drinkable beer but is very lacking in taste. You can tell it's a wheat beer but that's about it.

Out of curiosity I will probably try the same recipe again but bump up the ferment temperature to see what difference it makes to the flavours.

Which kit did you use mate? Most kits use generic yeasts but I hear the new coopers series wheat uses a specialty wheat yeast. Each to there own but with a wheat I would do it at a minimum 20c.

Which kit did you use mate? Most kits use generic yeasts but I hear the new coopers series wheat uses a specialty wheat yeast. Each to there own but with a wheat I would do it at a minimum 20c.

Thomas Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat.

The recipe is here Hefeweizen

I will probably try it again some time and ferment at the recommended high temp of 24c. It will be interesting to see the difference in taste.

Ok call me an idiot here. But PB2 posted on here that the kit (Preachers Hefe) uses a specialty wheat yeast. But the Hefeweizen recipe says to use WB-06!! What the???

Think 'chicken & the egg theory'' date=' then what came first? [img']wink[/img]

Coincidentally Greeny, have you fermented the WB-06 @ 24°C yet in any of your Wheat beers?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ok call me an idiot here. But PB2 posted on here that the kit (Preachers Hefe) uses a specialty wheat yeast. But the Hefeweizen recipe says to use WB-06!! What the???

Think 'chicken & the egg theory'' date=' then what came first? [img']wink[/img]

Coincidentally Greeny, have you fermented the WB-06 @ 24°C yet in any of your Wheat beers?

Cheers,

Lusty.

yeah lusty. Throws nice citrusy type flavours at 24 but tried many times for banana and WB-06 just wont give it up. Slight underpitch and 24c brings out the best in it IMO.

yeah lusty. Throws nice citrusy type flavours at 24 but tried many times for banana and WB-06 just wont give it up. Slight underpitch and 24c brings out the best in it IMO.

Given you obviously like wheat beers' date=' it's about time you tried the following strain then.

Wyeast 3333: German Wheat

It's not spoken about in wheat beer brewing circles as often as it should be IMHO. It's a terrific yeast (yes I've used it), & it's one big plus over some of the more spoken about wheat strains is that it's a HIGH flocculating strain that will produce a bright, clearer version of the wheat beer style, whereas the other wheat strains generally are low flocking & produce hazy beers unless filtered, lagered, or have some post fermentation finings added.

Good banana shit. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah i don't mind wheats. Though I must say I think there is a place for almost every beer invented depending on the weather. My first taste of a saison was in the colder weather and I was neither here nor there but had one in the summer and now its my go to summer drinker.

Shall grab a smack pack of 3333 for my next wheat. A high floc wheat yeast sounds interesting to say the least.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I bit the bullet put in a wheat/pilsner brew and used the coopers wheat can yeast .Also the addition of wai-iti hops it was a Artisan fresh wort .I was quite impressed with the smell in the brew room very subtle smell of citrus and a mild smell of ripe banana it was done between 21-22c and should be ready to bottle in the next few days cheers Brian

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2017 at 12:50 AM, therealthing691 said:

Well I bit the bullet put in a wheat/pilsner brew and used the coopers wheat can yeast .Also the addition of wai-iti hops it was a Artisan fresh wort .I was quite impressed with the smell in the brew room very subtle smell of citrus and a mild smell of ripe banana it was done between 21-22c and should be ready to bottle in the next few days cheers Brian

Hey there Brian and the Wheat Beer Brewers... so what was the end result - is the latest Coopers Hefe Wheat yeast something that is specifically for Weizen or is it just standard Ale Yeast... I have got some WB-06 which says 'SAF ALE' on the pack - and the guy who sold it to me says don't use the Coopers Hefe Tin yeast as it is an Ale Yeast?!  

And if I use the WB-06 should I go warm e.g. 24Deg C or cooler around 20 deg C?

On 8/23/2017 at 4:31 AM, Beerlust said:

Given you obviously like wheat beers' date=' it's about time you tried the following strain then.

Wyeast 3333: German Wheat

It's not spoken about in wheat beer brewing circles as often as it should be IMHO. It's a terrific yeast (yes I've used it), & it's one big plus over some of the more spoken about wheat strains is that it's a HIGH flocculating strain that will produce a bright, clearer version of the wheat beer style, whereas the other wheat strains generally are low flocking & produce hazy beers unless filtered, lagered, or have some post fermentation finings added.

Good banana shit. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Would be keen to hear what you think about my question above Lusty...  and will consider chasing the 3333 in future - I only saw your post now

On 9/15/2017 at 12:50 AM, therealthing691 said:

What was the result ?  Would be very interested...

19 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey there Brian and the Wheat Beer Brewers... so what was the end result - is the latest Coopers Hefe Wheat yeast something that is specifically for Weizen or is it just standard Ale Yeast... I have got some WB-06 which says 'SAF ALE' on the pack - and the guy who sold it to me says don't use the Coopers Hefe Tin yeast as it is an Ale Yeast?!  

And if I use the WB-06 should I go warm e.g. 24Deg C or cooler around 20 deg C?

The tin hefe yeast is supposedly a wheat yeast. My guess is Munich Wheat yeast but dont quote me on that. Cant comment on it though as havent used it. WB06 i have many times and it gives a very good Hefe but the banana still eludes. Yeah warmer is best IMO. 24c is what i do mine at. Its on my list to do one in 3 or 4 batches time.

Archived