Coopers Community

Recent Activities

Otto Von Blotto

Hi everyone,

As a few of you know already I moved house last weekend and since then have been organising shit and bringing a few other items across that weren't moved on the day, including my brewing gear (other than the fridges which were moved on the day). We are still waiting on the internet to be connected there which is why I've been absent from the forum since last week. I'll be back properly once that occurs though.

The keg fridge occupies a spot in the kitchen now given there's no power points outside on either veranda, and the back one gets the full arvo sun. It is mitigated a bit by some lattice screens and the trees next door but I'd still rather not have a fridge in full sun like that, especially with regard to warming up the taps themselves too much.

Tomorrow I will be making a trip to CB for some Saaz and a bit of Acid malt, and grabbing a few other things elsewhere, and on Sunday I'll be doing the first brew day in the new place. Unfortunately being a rental property I can't really drill a hook into anything to hang the grain bag on so I'll have to go back to old school and just lift it out and rest it on an old fridge shelf, then stand there like a ninny holding it up while the majority of wort drains from it (it squashes over the edges if not held up a bit) lol. I'll try to source a large colander for future brews too.

Anyway, that's what's going on with me at the moment, I might log in on my phone occasionally until the internet is connected but otherwise I'll be back proper in the next week or two cool

Cheers

Kelsey

good to see you settled in and back on the forum Kelsey.

i've never had the luxury of a rafter to hang a hook and pulley/rope from. so I have just lifted the bag, held it for a while then plonked it in a big strainer like KRuddiger has done in some of his videos.

One time I got inventive and used an aluminium ladder, set up over the brewpot. that worked surprisingly well to hoist and hang the bag. Gotta make sure the ladder is clean tho!

Thanks jools! I'll be back properly next week, only on occasionally currently so I don't use up all my phone data.

Even if we owned this house, there aren't any horizontal beams on the deck that I could screw a hook into, and the roof beams are too high up. At the moment I'm just lifting the bag and resting it on the brew fridge wire shelf until it's drained enough that it won't spill over the sides when I let go of the bag. I did think of using a ladder but we don't have one here ATM.

But a crane is a much better option so I'll be getting onto that after I sort out my hop planter boxes, which are remaining at the olds for obvious reasons. With those I need to move the trellis frames to the edge for easier access during harvest, and top up the soil levels. This will be happening in the next week or two.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived