Coopers Community

Damn you BRY-97.. DAMN YOU!!!

Alcofrolic

I pushed a recent batch from the cube into the fermenting fridge on Saturday after pitching some rehydrated BRY-97 into it.

It was suspiciously lifeless and a bit of a worry.... until now. Just after lunch I believe I saw what could be the beginning of a krausen forming up the side of the fermenter and I'm looking forward to getting home and confirming this. Only today after looking for some info on this yeast have I learnt that it has a well earned reputation for slow starting. Damn you BRY-97 for making me worry! DAMN YOU!!! DAMN YOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

lol

To be fair it may have started sooner than that , don't assume fermentation isn't taking place simply because you don't see krausen or airlock activity .

Trust thy hydrometer ...

That said i'll not use BRY again for it's erratic track record with me , much the same it was a laggy starter but i have made very nice beers using it on the occasions it didn't just stall at 1.020

Coopers provide a third party yeast in the Brew A IPA, Bootmaker Pale Ale, and Family Secret Amber kits that they identify as "B". I always suspected that stood for BRY-97. I have never made any of those kits myself so am curious to hear from those who have if they notice a slow start? You think it would be quite noticeable in a kit given that Coopers instruct brewers to dry pitch and only provide 7gms of yeast.

BRY-97 supposedly has a 72% attenuation rate.

Cheers,

Christina.

It's definitely off and going. Big thick creamy Krausen so looking good.

And yeah I generally do follow the guidance of the hydrometer. It's just that in the early stages of a ferment I'm loathe to pull off 80 mil or so to do a reading just because I'm a bit nervous - especially so when you'd normally have a fairly reliable indicator in Krausen.

Tremendous vigour indeed biggrin

Dependent on the lag time before noticeable signs of fermentation, this time frame can be where a foreign "wild" yeast establishes itself in the brew wort, & affects the flavours produced by the ferment. Anything above 24 hours of lag time is definitely a concern.

I've had my issues with this yeast in the past (Me & BRY-97) to the point where I now have no intention of using it again.

The long lag time just makes it too unreliable (IMHO).

Each to their own though. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Dependent on the lag time before noticeable signs of fermentation' date=' this time frame can be where a foreign "wild" yeast establishes itself in the brew wort, & affects the flavours produced by the ferment. Anything above 24 hours of lag time is definitely a concern.

I've had my issues with this yeast in the past (Me & BRY-97) to the point where I now have no intention of using it again.

The long lag time just makes it too unreliable (IMHO).

Each to their own though. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

lol The bastards treated you to the lash a little in that thread Lusty.

Wow. My experimentation with Bryan has the potential prove a little disappointing. Meanwhile I have packs of Nottingham, US05 and Mangroves West Coast all sitting in my fridge annoyed

If I cop a wild yeast I'd be a trifle upset to say the least. When is it that you'd you'd begin to work out that a wild yeast had taken up residence? When it doesn't smell or taste right I guess..

Hi Alcofrolic.

Wow. My experimentation with Bryan has the potential prove a little disappointing. Meanwhile I have packs of Nottingham' date=' US05 and Mangroves West Coast all sitting in my fridge [img']annoyed[/img]

If I cop a wild yeast I'd be a trifle upset to say the least. When is it that you'd you'd begin to work out that a wild yeast had taken up residence? When it doesn't smell or taste right I guess..

Please don't use my personal experience(s) to judge the yeast completely as others have had no issues with the yeast. I did eventually get a successful brew after 3-4 failed attempts, & there was a recall of some batch numbers of the yeast during my period of usage with it.

lol The bastards treated you to the lash a little in that thread Lusty.

That's alright. I secretly enjoy reading the failures some have suffered since' date=' that have ignored my warnings. [img']tongue[/img] wink

I have a good feeling about your brew, so don't worry too much. All of mine fermented out to near expected levels so the only final indicator was the taste test prior to bottling as to whether the beer was infected or not as no visual signs were apparent in the fermenter itself in my cases. annoyed

Cheers & good luck with your brew,

Lusty.

I'm with you here Anthony , i doubt i'll ever use it again !

the masochist within is tempted to spin up a starter and see how it behaves but why bother ? i have 1272 on hand for my APAs and 1469 for my stouts ,reds and ambers .

I also have a culture of gigayeast norcal ale #1 i was gifted but that batch has unacceptable levels of acetaldehyde ( green apples ) so maybe i've found another strain i just don't like very much .

Still only 1 yeast that's never let me down and that's recultured Coopers ale yeast , it's a monster !

I loved BRY-97 at first. Used it in a few brews and it produced great beers.

But after one failed batched I shelved it and haven't been back. I'm sure Danstar have fixed the issues since the "bad batch" but I just can't do it.

I can't believe I am on the same side as Lusty unsure

i have 1272 on hand for my APAs and 1469 for my stouts ' date='reds and ambers .

[/quote']

I had a failed ferment early last year with a Bootmaker kit which is thought by some to have BRY97 as the kit yeast. Coopers replaced that kit but I never used any Coopers yeast that came with the Bootmaker kits again and used US05 instead.

Mark - How are you you finding the 1272. Mine is on the third generation now and some of my beers are getting a tart or sour taste [not bitter]. I don't think I have an aceto or lacto infection as my brews are looking quite normal on top. Once the krausen drops the surface is clear. I recently looked up the info on 1272 and throwing a little tart is a characteristic of it. I'm wondering if its mutated somewhat on the third generation and is now throwing more tart.

As a consequence I have now stopped using that line of 1272 I have and have now obtained some Northwest Ale 1332 to try. I'm wondering if anyone here has used 1332 and if so what is your opinion???

i have 1272 on hand for my APAs and 1469 for my stouts ' date='reds and ambers .

[/quote']

I had a failed ferment early last year with a Bootmaker kit which is thought by some to have BRY97 as the kit yeast. Coopers replaced that kit but I never used any Coopers yeast that came with the Bootmaker kits again and used US05 instead.

Mark - How are you you finding the 1272. Mine is on the third generation now and some of my beers are getting a tart or sour taste [not bitter]. I don't think I have an aceto or lacto infection as my brews are looking quite normal on top. Once the krausen drops the surface is clear. I recently looked up the info on 1272 and throwing a little tart is a characteristic of it. I'm wondering if its mutated somewhat on the third generation and is now throwing more tart.

As a consequence I have now stopped using that line of 1272 I have and have now obtained some Northwest Ale 1332 to try. I'm wondering if anyone here has used 1332 and if so what is your opinion???

I love 1272 , i work in a team so quick mental maths has 2 smack packs as making 450 odd litres so far over 5 generations without any off flavours or excess tartness .

i only have 1 stir plate and 2 flasks at home so i build up numbers in my 3L flask and store yeast in grolsch bottles , ready to pitch starters in a bottle makes life easy .

1332 sounds like an interesting strain to use , lower attenuating than 1272 and helps push malts forward , let us know how it goes for you

Thanks for your replies fellas. I haven't read on the Wyeast site about 1332 throwing tart but I have since read on a couple of forums where users claim it has. I am now somewhat put off with it and was considering not using it at all and just using some 1469 at short notice which I have on hand for an APA. I just can't rip up to my LHBS and get what I want. Following Hairy's comments I am now going to give it a bash.

I do like US05 / 1056 but I also like big floccers.

I for one will be interested in your view(s) of the 1332 once you have a beer to drink from using it.

Hairy mentioned this yeast sometime back (in my time on the forum) that tweaked my interest in perhaps trying it, but I have not read of anyone else that has used it locally so shelved the idea.

I've learned a lot from Hairy in my time on the forum, but I have become very finicky when it comes to selecting & trying new yeasts.

It shall be nice to hear from another "Guinea Pig" about this yeast before deciding on whether to try it myself. tonguebiggrin

Good luck with the brew Morrie.

Lusty.

I've just tried a schooner of a beer that I have carbed up that was brewed with 1272 and my second thoughts are that I may have been over critical of 1272. I'm thinking that this could be one of if not my best beer to date for fruity flavoured beers. Maybe some of my tart could be contributed to a heavy handed approach to late hopping???

This one has 18% munich II, 8% rye, 4% wheat and 150 grams of riwaka and zero dry hopping. Instant chill. Single hop. Absolutely yummy. Love Riwaka and I think it will pair well with citra or galaxy.

The 1332 brew on Saturday will be 18% munich II, 4% wheat, 9% rye, 34g of citra and 60g of riwaka.

I'll try to remember to let you know Lusty on what I think about 1332. The trouble is that there are so many variables from brew to brew, so comparisons of yeast could be difficult.

Apologies to the original poster for straying off topic so much.

I'll try to remember to let you know Lusty on what I think about 1332. The trouble is that there are so many variables from brew to brew' date=' so comparisons of yeast could be difficult.

[/quote']

Given your last brew is a 1272 brew, the comparison beween that & 1332 is ideal from my standpoint, as it is a difference between these two strains I am actually looking for. wink

Timing can be everything.

Glad the 1272 brew has turned out well as many like this yeast strain. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ok Lusty, I will change Saturdays brew to the same recipe as the last one except for using 1332. Mash temps will be the same etc so this should be a good comparison between 1272 and 1332. If I'd tasted this beer prior to ordering the 1332 I would now be sticking with 1272.

Thanks for your replies fellas. I haven't read on the Wyeast site about 1332 throwing tart but I have since read on a couple of forums where users claim it has. I am now somewhat put off with it and was considering not using it at all and just using some 1469 at short notice which I have on hand for an APA. I just can't rip up to my LHBS and get what I want. Following Hairy's comments I am now going to give it a bash.

I do like US05 / 1056 but I also like big floccers.

1332 definitely wasn't tart for me.

I might give it a go again in one of my standard pale ales that I usually brew with US-05.

No need for apologies Morrie - all interesting stuff.

I like sharp and shiny things. Along with these comes a need for various grades of stone to maintain them - and in that I mean keep them sharp. The stones themselves became a major interest along with the sharp and shiny things.

In brewing yeast is becoming much the same sort of beast to me. It's its very own entity -ancient, natural, full of character, highly interesting, essential to the craft and up to personal feel/taste/preference.

So this brew got stuck at 1032 last week. I smashed another pack of rehydrated 'Bryan' into the wort on Thursday and she's come down today to 1010 - where I expected. Dry hopping tonight.

Next up - Mangroves West Coast for my cubed Halah IPA.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived