while its cold in my part of wa i m planning a strong stout cheapo way

1.7 kg coopers stout

1.7 kg coopers dark ale

either 700gms sugar or 700gms dextrose

temp at the moment on another brew is between 12 and 18c

was planning on using the yeast that came with the tins

any advice is welcome as i havenever tried this mix b4

cheers ,josh

the reason i ask is a few years ago i tried to make a strong stout but it didnt bubble much and took ages in the 1st ferm

it was

1.7 kg coopers stout

2 kg sugar

lol

Would have needed more yeast with all those fermentables.

As Ben10 said, both of those tins come with the same yeast: Coopers dry ale yeast.

Coopers yeast ferments very cleanly at 18C, but it may go to sleep below 16C. Do what you can to keep the temp stable, and don't let it drop when the active (heat producing) part of fermentation is over. Consider keeping a sleeping bag around your FV at night during the first two or three days, and full-time when the airlock slows down, until you bottle.

You might also consider replacing the kit yeast with Nottingham, which is a little more cold tolerant. You can store your kit yeasts in the fridge for future use, when the weather warms up.

Cheers,

Christina.

Are you sure about that 1.033 gravity? With those ingredients it should be up above 1.045 in 22 litres.

yes your right ot v blot, some of the mix wasnt dissolved yet.

checked it this morning and even though the yeast has started to kick in, its at around about 1040

ive put this brew in a warmer spot and it maintained 18-19c overnight .stoKed *-*

only been 60hrs in the bottle (lager) testid one an its going to be really nice,, already tastes better than carlton dry i was drinking last week. i think buying a rainwater tank last winter was more than worth it. tastes better than coopers lager six pack i drank too

biggrin

Archived